3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Painting My Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 11:18 PM

Exclamation Painting My Car

I'm looking to get my 85 Camaro Painted. I'm still not sure what paint scheme or colors I really want to get it painted. I've seen some 3rd generations with the rally stripes, and I like the look, but I'm not sure if it really fits with 3rd generation camaros. I was hoping I could see some pictures of people that have recently gotten their cars painted. I'm hoping to spend around $1500 to $2000. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:11 AM

Hey bro, I hate to break it to you, but for 2 grand, your paint job will be suffering in a few years. I work for nissan and I go to body shops everyday. I too am looking to get my camaro painted. Now unless you know someone who will cut you a deal, or you're gonna do alot of the prep/R&I yourself...... then you are looking at around a minimum of 3 to 4 grand. Mine will proly cost around 4, and that is all white, nothing else. But if you want it done right, it needs to be taken down to the bare metal. Our year camaros had horrible paint, and under that layer this is alot of crap that needs to come off. I hope you get a good paint job, because its just gonna be money down the drain. better to save, spend a little more now, and do it right the first time, otherwise, you'll be painting her again here in less than 5 years. Just my .02 cents man! I don't mean to come off negatively! TTT

Will

------------------
'86 Z-28 305 c.i. LG4
Rochester QuadraJet 4bbl
Flowmaster 80 series Chrome Tips
Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner
K&N Filter
Michellin P215/65/R15 X-Radial Plus
Lots of Mods on the way
Pioneer 4"x6" dash
Pioneer 6"x9" rear
Alpine 8" Type S in bandpass box
Alpine Amp 300x1 bridged
Sony 4000X- x-Plode Deck 50w x4

Soon to be sporting Hooker SuperComp Shorties, CompCam Xtreme 256H, Edelbrock Performer EGR, World Sr Torquer 305's, DynoMax Super Converter, and American Thunder 3" Cat-Back !!!

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/stanghunter211
Old 08-02-2002, 02:23 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stanghunter211:
But if you want it done right, it needs to be taken down to the bare metal. Our year camaros had horrible paint, and under that layer this is alot of crap that needs to come off. I hope you get a good paint job, because its just gonna be money down the drain. better to save, spend a little more now, and do it right the first time, otherwise, you'll be painting her again here in less than 5 years. Just my .02 cents man! I don't mean to come off negatively! TTT

Will

</font>
Yeah thanks to the over regulation by some of the bunny/tree huggers in California the paint on our cars sucks. The clearcoat peels right off, it checks and cracks. I don't blame everyone in California but damn folks get a life you regulate and regulate and your air is still some of the worst in the world. Maybe American companies need to look somewhere else for manufacturing.

------------------
92BLKL98
'92 Black Z28 Hardtop w/Harwood 2" cowl ind. hood Modded 700R4, MSD
Ignition, March Underdrives, TPIS Fastpak, Ram air w/gutted filter box, SLP Prom, Flowmaster, & free mods, removed cats, Amsoil synthetic lubes, CE SFC's, Edelbrock STB,Spohn TA,Roadtech LCA's and Panhard Rod, Energy Susp., PST polygraphite bushings, KYB Shocks.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:13 AM

4 GRAND!!?? My car was wrecked...highly praised local body shop fixed the fender and door, stripped the car to the metal, and did a base coat/clear coat (2 coats of clear) for 2K.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:48 PM

Red face

Yah 4 grand is a rip; I've had many cars painted WELL for just under 2g
Old 08-07-2002, 10:52 PM

UR F-ckin crazy, u dont need to strip it to bare metal, what the hell are you thinking. GOD! dont listen to him he's stupid, and 4 grand is way to much for just white paint, unless it's pearl, with ghost flames, or has a bout a million coats!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:03 PM

Im with Chevy kid man, 4 grand is blowin your money out your ace. No offense. Most of the time, depending on your current paint job, the paint can be a better primer than actual primer is. That's just my opinion.

------------------
Blue 87 IROC-Z Camaro,305 TPI
Old 08-08-2002, 01:23 AM

Dude thats just what the guys around here quote. If you all weren't so fuggin stupid, you'd know everything is more expensive in the San Francisco Bay Area. Rent, Insurance, everything!!! I didn't say you had to do anything. For a complete job, most guys out here want 3 grand. The farther away you go, the cheaper it is, but right here in the city, its out of this world. I agree 4 grand is crazy. But these guys make these kinds of deals daily. You wouldn't believe the number of stupid ricers with mommy and daddy's checkbook, just itching to spend their rents hard earned cash. They don;t know ****, thats why people out here take advantage. I prep my car myself, so all I need is it to be sprayed. Which doesn't cost a whole lot. But like I said, out here, its alot more expensive then out in the cuts where you all live. No hard feelings man, I shoulda made my point more clear. If I could get a quality job for less than 2 G's, I would, but unless I wanna take my car a few hours away, I guess I'm stuck.

------------------
'86 Z-28 305 c.i. LG4 165 hp E.T. 16.7 @ 82 mph on radials
Rochester QuadraJet 4bbl,
Flowmaster 80 series, Chrome Tips,
Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner,
K&N Filter,
Michellin P215/65/R15 X-Radial Plus,

Pioneer 4"x6" dash,
Pioneer 6"x9" rear,
Alpine 8" Type S in bandpass box,
MTX Thunder 4202 Amp,

Soon to be sporting a 350 HO somg legal conversion kit. 308 hp Along with Edelbrock Headers, Edelbrock Performer EGR Intake, and 3" Flowmaster Exhaust with DMH Electric Cutout!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:25 AM

Talking

I had my '84 Z28 painted last year. They stripped it down to themeal, took all the ground effects off, everything. They did a terrific job and far surpassed anything I was expecting. The company that did it has the contract to do the regional police vehicles, so I think he gave me a bit of a deal since I work for the police. It cost me just over $2500. I think I got a Hell of a good deal. There are tonnes of pics on my website. See what you think.

Tracey

P.S. That's $2500 Canadian.

------------------
1984 Camaro Z28
305 c.i. LG4
Rochester Quadrajet 4-barrel carb
5 spd trans.
Accel Superstock wires
Accel dist. cap & rotor
Bosch platinum plugs
K&N air filter
Dynomax Super Converter
Dynomax Super Turbo muffler
chrome tips
Cooper Cobra 235/60R/15 (fronts)
Cooper Cobra 245/60R/15 (rears)
160F thermostat
...and more to come!

http://members.rogers.com/copperchick010
Old 08-08-2002, 08:30 AM

Talking

I have to learn to proof-read...what I meant to say was it was stripped to the bare metal. That price also included a brand new IROC hood. Have a look at the website. I'm not sure where you're from, but if you're anywhere near Toronto, you might want to check out the paint shop I went to. Let me know if this is the case and I'll give you their info.

------------------
1984 Camaro Z28
305 c.i. LG4
5 spd trans.
Accel Superstock wires
Accel dist. cap & rotor
Bosch platinum plugs
K&N air filter
Dynomax Super Converter
chrome tips
160F thermostat
...and more to come!

Old 08-08-2002, 06:25 PM

I wish I could get mine done for that price. To be near there, I would have to do all the R&I myself, and then it would still be close 3G's. Its absolutely crazy what they charge down here. If anyone knows of a good place to get my car done in California, i mean within 100 miles of San Francisco, please let me know. I would be willing to drive!!! I just want the car artic white, nothing fancy! Just a clean looking Z!!!

Will

------------------
'86 Z-28 305 c.i. LG4 165 hp E.T. 16.7 @ 82 mph on radials
Rochester QuadraJet 4bbl,
Flowmaster 80 series, Chrome Tips,
Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner,
K&N Filter,
Michellin P215/65/R15 X-Radial Plus,

Pioneer 4"x6" dash,
Pioneer 6"x9" rear,
Alpine 8" Type S in bandpass box,
MTX Thunder 4202 Amp,

Soon to be sporting a 350 HO somg legal conversion kit. 308 hp Along with Edelbrock Headers, Edelbrock Performer EGR Intake, and 3" Flowmaster Exhaust with DMH Electric Cutout!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 06:21 AM

If you are going to do most the work yourself can you find a not so big shop to do it cheaper or someone at there house who does good work. I got mine painted for putting on a set of headders and I preped it myself mine was painted twice in a week the first time was without the stripe it had alot more pearl in it but it was modeled looking so I had to prep it and take it all back apart.dont think a paint job will last forever on a daily driver it will rock chip easyer than the factory paint I only know of one few cars that have been painted and still look good over 5 years and they only get driven 500 miles a year or so...

------------------
91 Camaro SS
305 tbi edelbrock intake &strut brace crane compucam march underdrive pulleys ads superchip k&n open air cleaner mac headers & subframe con. 3"flowmaster ascd ss hood and gm ss rims 6 speed star spec stage3 carbon fiber clutch Sphon suspension eibach sport line springs bilsten shocks and struts,mosser 12 bolt 4.11, 400+hp lt1 in the build up waiting to get the heads back. carbua targa rs seats ,pics http://www.ofoto.com/Slideshow2.jsp?...id=89850812303
Old 08-10-2002, 04:29 AM

paint shops rarely take a car down to metal.......and if they do you had better hope they know what they're doing otherwise a year or two later you will have a large mess on your hands if not sooner.

it all depends on what type of finish your looking for.......if it's a daily driver that you don't care wether it looks prestine or not and can deal with the good from far but far from good than i think your price range is right on.

if you want reliable nice looking paint job that will hold up for a few years and win a couple local shows than i think 2500-4000 would be a good range.

if your looking for a job that will look like pure glass than definately expect to pay around 5,000+

of course this is all on a solid color basis and without anyone doing you true favors.....

these people that claim they can do it for so cheap either have alot of body experience or aren't looking for a nice paint job. unfortunately this is one of those times where spending an extra grand can make a huge difference.

look at the average price breakdown....

strippers, sand paper, degreasers: 10-100
bondo, fillers: 15
Primers, solvents, thinners: 150
single-stage color coat: 350
one-stage base/clear coat: 650
three-stage base/mid/clear coat: 1000-4500
consumables(masking tape, paper, etc.): 50
polishes: 25-50
tools & equipment: 1000+

now of course that is a basic list, but a pretty good idea of the majority of what you will need to do it yourself.....now throw in all the many hours it takes to do things right and you think you'll get a nice paint job for under 2g's....very doubtful unless your into special favors. at least if your looking for something nice. alot of people will tell you that not everyone has 3000 or so to spend on a paint job, this is true; but if you aren't looking to have it nice then why are you painting it in the first place; i myself would rather save an extra thousand knowing that if i took care of the car the paint would last me a long time rather then having it look nice for a year or two only to have to spend the more money down the road..........it's your choice.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:39 PM

Talking

That's why I checked around. I chose the shop I did because they invited me to stop by and watch the work being done- which I did. It was weird to see the car "naked", but at least I knew I was getting what I was paying for.

Tracey

------------------
1984 Camaro Z28
305 c.i. LG4
5 spd trans.
Accel Superstock wires
Accel dist. cap & rotor
Bosch platinum plugs
K&N air filter
Dynomax Super Converter
chrome tips
160F thermostat
...and more to come!

Old 08-10-2002, 04:46 PM

And uh..there were no "special favours".

Quick Reply: Painting My Car