3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Plug wires question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 AM

Plug wires question

Yo guys, If I install a new aftermarket hot coil (MSD 8226) on my car, will it blow through the stock 7mm ignition wires? I was going to eventually go with 8mm spiral core wires, but will I have to do that along with the coil swap, or can it wait a while? Thanks.

For wires I was thinking about Accel 9033 set. Opinions?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 AM

Re: Plug wires question

It won't "blow through", but those stock wires are going to carry that nice spark from that MSD coil pretty badly. I had an Accel coil giving spark to 8 stock wires for a few years (before I owned the car), and they were fine (until I got new headers =/ ) It would be in your best interest to just get new wires that are 8mm-9mm.

As far as those wires you mentioned, they seem a little pricey to me, you can find cheaper Accel's that are just as good, or MSDs or Taylor wires.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:18 AM

Accel wires are awful. Oil and heat resistance stink and their boots aren't the best either. They just don't last like they should. I've never had a problem with MSD or Moroso wires. I like the Morosos better, the boots aren't as big so you get better header clearance.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:54 PM

Thanks guys for the info so far. I've done a bit more digging on this and have come up with a couple custom-fit alternatives. I don't have headers, BTW. What do you guys think of the following two sets? Both are 8mm silicone with spiral cores, both custom fit for the engine. Both cost about the same, $45 or so from Summit.

Moroso 72538

Taylor 74611

Opinions? Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 PM

custom fit wires are always too long and look like crap draped all over the motor IMO. Cut to fit is the only way.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by NastyTA
I like the Morosos better, the boots aren't as big so you get better header clearance.

Clearance issues? I'd like to know what set of wires and headers you have because as long as you have a brain, it's easy to rout them so they are not touching the header.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:19 AM

I'm using a set of "cut-to-fit" Taylor wires (necessary because of my SLP headers), & they seem to work well for me.

BTW, you guys DO know that "7mm", "8mm", etc. only designate the thickness of the insulation, don't you? It has nothing to do with the thickness of the actual conductor...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Yes, I know that the 7mm, 8mm, etc means the insulation thickness. That was one of my original questions, is a 7mm insulation enough for a hot coil, or will it arc through? I believe the hot coil will not be an issue for the 8mm or larger jacket.

Any replacement wires I put on the car will definitely be spiral conductor core with the 8mm silicone jacket. Those plug boots on the Taylor wires look beefy, and like you can get a good grip on them for removal come plug change time. Comments?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tremo
Yes, I know that the 7mm, 8mm, etc means the insulation thickness. That was one of my original questions, is a 7mm insulation enough for a hot coil, or will it arc through? I believe the hot coil will not be an issue for the 8mm or larger jacket.

Any replacement wires I put on the car will definitely be spiral conductor core with the 8mm silicone jacket. Those plug boots on the Taylor wires look beefy, and like you can get a good grip on them for removal come plug change time. Comments?

Like I said before, no, the coil will not cause the 7mm to break open, the previous owner had an Accel coil in the ignition for 5 years, and they were fine, until I got new headers and one wire got burnt through. However, I would suggest 8mm wires for you if you are getting aftermarket ones anyhow...besides, like I said before, MSDs, ACCELs, or Taylors will help to carry that hotter spark.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by LesPaulGoth
Clearance issues? I'd like to know what set of wires and headers you have because as long as you have a brain, it's easy to rout them so they are not touching the header.

I was talking about the size of the boots. If you're using straight plug heads and a tight header, the bigger boots will touch.

I've got a brain

Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Yo Nasty, nice lookin' motor. Neat job on the wires.

Yo LPGoth, you really have one of those black gothic Les Pauls????? Are you a goth? I have a 70s era Les Paul Special, tobacco sunburst. I alternate between that and my Strat. The Strat cuts better at gigs, the LP sounds phatter.