3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

posi2

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 07:13 PM

Question posi2

If I went to the local junkyard to find a posi rearend for my car exactly what all would I have to do to get it to make it work with my car if it is not the exact same as what is in my car know but is posi and if it has rear disk brakes when I have drum. But I would like to have the disk brake setup instead of my drums. Also is there anything I need off of the junk car to make it work.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Banned

Number of splines on the axel, size of the ring gear.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:08 PM

Will the rear end come out of the same type of car?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:18 PM

If you're getting the entire rearend then it's a direct bolt in, with the only other necessity beign a J65 (4-wheel disc) proportioning valve. The prop valve is the block of metal below the brake master cylinder, and it controls how much fluid goes to each wheel when you hit the brakes. You need one that matches the YEAR OF YOUR CAR because GM changed the thread pitch of the lines and a different year may or may not bolt in. A few people have taken them from a car of a different year, and when it didn't fit they assumed the master cylinder had to be changed. The prop valve runs $70 new from the dealer, but if you can get one from the junkyard it'll prolly be like $15.