3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Power loss problems + Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:43 PM

Re: Power loss problems + Hesitation

I forgot to plug the cable back into the MAF... bad thing is i can't find the thing that plugs into it... Thats whats causing the SES light
Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Talking Re: Power loss problems + Hesitation

Man, I'm REALLY glad I'm not the only one who's forgotten to plug that back in...

Originally Posted by 91-Z28-L98
Usually when your cat is bad it will glow when the engine is hot. Unless this is happening, I wouldn't jump on the bad cat bandwagon just yet.
Sure, depending on how much the exhaust flow is being blocked - but how many people know enough to ever look at their cat after the engine's in closed loop? The "rattle test" has the benefit of being a "monkey-simple" way to check for a disintegrated brick...

If you just did something to the car and suddenly the car is running bad and the SES light is on, the what you did probably is the cause.
Absolutely agree...

Since the SES light is on, it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. You can either buy an OBD1 scanner at autozone or go the cheap route and just jump the test terminals to get the computer to reveal the codes. I believe the procedure is in thirdgen.org somewhere.
It is, but if you can't find it, then you may be able to drive to your local auto parts store, & have them read the codes for you - at least, the auto parts places where I lived in TX did that...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-14-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:24 PM

Yea i'm officially a dumbass... I got everything hooked up now... SES light is still on... I went by Autozone to take advantage of the free SES light check... But they don't have the key thing, or mabye the guy didn't care enough to do it(Being that i got it checked several months ago at the same place). While i was there i blew some money on K&N Air filters, needed new Air filters bad...

Anyway ill double check everything tomorrow.. it's late

And another thing... When i'm cranking up the car it will start up fine and rev itself up to about 1.5-2k then the rpms will drop then it will even out at idle RPMs.. Whats up with that
Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroJosh
Yea i'm officially a dumbass... I got everything hooked up now... SES light is still on...
Sometimes you'll need to clear the codes manually after fixing the problem - but don't do it until you're sure that the problem is fixed!

Actually, forget what I said immediately above - I've been thinking a bit more about it, & IIRC, my SES light went away when I re-connected the MAF... I'm guessing that you have one or more additional issues. Have you checked for vacuum leaks (as suggested by "91" above) yet? That seems like the most likely culprit...

I went by Autozone to take advantage of the free SES light check... But they don't have the key thing, or mabye the guy didn't care enough to do it(Being that i got it checked several months ago at the same place).
You might have better luck tomorrow when (hopefully) someone else is there - but if not, here's the link to the thirdgen.org page that tells you how to read the codes yourself...

Hope that helps...

The hissing you mention from the exhaust makes me wonder if there's not a bit of blockage there, but I don't think that would account for the behavior you describe at startup...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-15-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:30 AM

One other thing I thought of, and it's easy to check:

What color is the smoke you're getting at startup? White, or blue?

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-15-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:04 AM

And another thing... When i'm cranking up the car it will start up fine and rev itself up to about 1.5-2k then the rpms will drop then it will even out at idle RPMs.. Whats up with that
Thats normal. The car will automatically rev up high to warm up. If it is cold, it will stay at higher rpms for about 2 minutes. If its warm already it will stay up until it realizes that its warm (2 seconds or so) then it will fall back down.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:02 AM

Thats normal. The car will automatically rev up high to warm up. If it is cold, it will stay at higher rpms for about 2 minutes. If its warm already it will stay up until it realizes that its warm (2 seconds or so) then it will fall back down.
What i was meaning is it would rev up to about 2k then drop and die for a sec then sputter back up to idling RPMs... But that doesn't matter, i think i fixed that when i plugged the MAF back in.. After plugging that back in my SES went off and i also dropped the new air filters in and got my exhaust done (CAT removed and flowmaster muffler. After that i attempted to switch out the spark plugs but only got 4 done in 3 1/2 hours... wow thats such a pain. Anyways after the long day i took it out and now it runs like a beast : ). Tomorrow i'm gonna finish up the spark plugs.. The 4 i did today were on the easier side... god knows how long it will take tomorrow.... Probably will end up being an all day job..
Old 05-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
One other thing I thought of, and it's easy to check:

What color is the smoke you're getting at startup? White, or blue?
It's blue
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 AM

What i was meaning is it would rev up to about 2k then drop and die for a sec then sputter back up to idling RPMs... But that doesn't matter, i think i fixed that when i plugged the MAF back in.. After plugging that back in my SES went off and i also dropped the new air filters in and got my exhaust done (CAT removed and flowmaster muffler. After that i attempted to switch out the spark plugs but only got 4 done in 3 1/2 hours... wow thats such a pain. Anyways after the long day i took it out and now it runs like a beast : ). Tomorrow i'm gonna finish up the spark plugs.. The 4 i did today were on the easier side... god knows how long it will take tomorrow.... Probably will end up being an all day job..
Yeah, an unplugged MAF will cause that. Spark plugs are a pain with all that damn emissions tubing. They would take about 30 minutes total without it.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 AM

It's blue
Ah, good - well, not actually good, but it's better than white. If the smoke only lasts for a second or two when you start it up, "Congratulations!! You own a small-block Chevy V-8!!"

OK, all sarcasm aside, SBCs are known for that, it's just that the valve guide seals in the cyl. heads aren't keeping the oil out of the cylinders as well as they do when they're new. Changing them out isn't the worst job in the world (from what I'm told, I've not done it myself yet), so you can either take a crack at it, or have a mechanic do it...

Now if you've got smoke as you're going down the road, well, come back & talk to us...

Yeah, an unplugged MAF will cause that. Spark plugs are a pain with all that damn emissions tubing. They would take about 30 minutes total without it.
That's with the stock exhaust manifolds, right? Because with my SLP 1-3/4" headers, there are a couple that are a bit of a beeeyotch to get to...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-17-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:02 PM

Well i finished the spark plugs...

Everything is running great, thanks for the help everyone..