3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Power Steering Pump Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:35 AM

Power Steering Pump Woes

So the T/A's been sitting for the winter. Right before I stowed it away, the power steering pump siezed up. Today, I went to Pep Boys and had them give me a new pump and switch the pulley over. I got the pump back and installed it. When I fired the car up, the pump was making noise. At least, I THINK its the pump. It's not a belt because its not squeeking. It sounds like a whining, but only when the pump is under load (being turned in either direction). When the wheel is still, there seems to be little/no noise.

I turned the wheel in both directions to put fluid in the lines and hoped that it would quiet the pump, but the noise remains. I drove the car for about 10-15 minutes and the wheel feels fine (meaning the pump is functioning), but it is pretty loud when I make a turn.

Is this normal? Is the pump just breaking in??? Do I have a bad pump??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Steve
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Re: Power Steering Pump Woes

if you know the pump is FULL, you could have a bad pump. one thing you could try is to turn wheel all the way to one side, hold it thair and turn off key, let it set overnight, this is to bleed any traped air out of system. this may work, or it may not. good luck.