3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Question for "aziroc"

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 08:28 AM

Question for "aziroc"

Just saw one of your posts and see you have a 400 in your car. Wanted to ask how it all went and how is it running on TPI?

You get a custom CHIP made?

What are you running and are you running Speed Density?

I am contemplating a built up 350 or a 400 in the future. Is the 400 a B**** to get running right compared to the 350? And will the TPI be okay on a 400ci?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 01-04-2003, 05:53 PM

hey, im not sure if u email me recently of not. i tried upgrading to aol 8.0 (yes i use aol) and it basically didnt like that idea. well to answer your question..

Just saw one of your posts and see you have a 400 in your car. Wanted to ask how it all went and how is it running on TPI?
the install was easy (ask my mechanic) there were no complications as far as things in the way or relocating something. the TPI is running beautifully on the 406. there hasnt been a problem in it for a long time. (last time there was a problem was when i first got it and we were still figuring out loose bugs, ie IAC, fuel pressure, emissions lol.

You get a custom CHIP made?
yes. the mechanic i go to makes them. i just did some recent mods and havent had 1 burned yet, so i am now getting a code. but its basically cause i went from 26 lb injecotrs to 30lb SVO's.

What are you running and are you running Speed Density?
running.. as far as 1/4 mile? the first time ever to the track was a few weeks ago and on motor i did 12.9@113 and on 150 shot i did 12.3@126. my 60"s were horrible (again, my first time at the track) and i found out, luckily, the my fuel pump needs to be bigger to accomidat the 150 shot *which is now a 200 shot* but its a Mass air flow sensor, not speed density (which i have debated to switching to, but since i have no real issue with it, i havent switched.

I am contemplating a built up 350 or a 400 in the future. Is the 400 a B**** to get running right compared to the 350? And will the TPI be okay on a 400ci?

well when i was debating this engine, i was going to go with a 383, but my mechanic told me the pros and cons of a 377, 383 and 406. basically he said the 406 will give u more cubes to work with. granted i cant rev a 406 to some crazy rpm, but all its power is made down low and ends around 5500'ish. the 400 is no different then a 350, just 50 more cu in. the main problem though is, is if u build the 400 up and make it have soem decent power, u will have to modify ur TPI to all hell to make sure it has enough air. if its just a 400 and just soem power, id suggest a bigger intake and 52mm t.b. me personally, since i was oing for some wild, barely street/emission legal engine, i knew i had to get this thing enough air. so i got a BBK 58mm t.b. ported the plemum open alot, TPIS large tube runners (i recommend these), i ported/port matched those to the plenum and intake. i got a TPIS bigmouth intake, which again, i ported to all hell as well. i though 26 lb injectors would have been enough. but it was barely needing more fuel. i could have got soem custom 27 lb 1's but since i was going with nitrous, i just got 30's.

im not sure if i answered all ur questions.. but i have to go meet soem family for dinner. if u have any other things u want to ask, plase post more ?'s of AIM me @ falcon978
Old 01-04-2003, 10:30 PM

Aziroc,

No this is the first time I have contacted you. Thanks for the detailed description. I have SD and think I would stick with that and then do my own custom chip to get the car running right. You mentioned a fair amount of mods to get the 400 running how it should.

What would you say to slapping on all the stock tpi parts onto the 400 and leaving it like that. Would it be a dog? Money permitting I would change everything over to bigger TB, runners etc. But if I get the 400 I would just use my stock stuff and put it on the 400. What kind of perfromance could I expect from it and would it be worse off then just having a mild 350 compared to it?

Would stock TPI stuff on a 400 dust off ls1's or not really? Would it be quicker then a mild 350?

Thanks for your input sounds like a okay change. BTW what kind of heads are you using?

What the TPI base plate (SDPC) and vortec heads be a good combo on the 400?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:29 AM

right now im actually updating the stats on what all has been put in my car. email me, and im sure by then i will be done and i can email u all the stuff. as far as those ?'s go..

Would stock TPI stuff on a 400 dust off ls1's or not really? Would it be quicker then a mild 350?

it really depends on how u build the 400. if the 400 came out of some 70s truck and only has 200-250 hp then yea. the stock tpi can work ok. granted u may need some 5.7L (22 lb) injectors. but all in all it should do ok.. im not sure what u have now hp/tq wise.. but expect some difference.. but not alot, cuase the stock tpi will really hold u back.
it depends on what u want in that 400 and how much $$ u have. i wont say a 400 is better then a 350, cause some 350s out tehre have been built up pretty u nice. but IMHO, any modded 400 will beat a modded 350... that is if u do the same stuff to each engine and traction isnt an issue. i beleive the 400 will reap me hp/tq out of the heads, cam, ect then a 350 will. u want to look at this new set up with lng term veiws. granted u can mess with a 30 now, and get it to point X, or u can get a 400, only get X out of it.. but in a few months, or even a year or so, when u add a bit more $, u will pass point X like it was standing still.

Thanks for your input sounds like a okay change. BTW what kind of heads are you using? i have a set of AFR 195cc heads.. honestly.. best set of heads for the $, granted they are a bit more $$ then edelbrokc or trick flow, but the #'s in my sig seem to prove their worth.

What the TPI base plate (SDPC) and vortec heads be a good combo on the 400? it all really depends on how much $$ u can spend. IMHO id go with a TPIS bigmough and AFR heads.. but thats if u have liek $4000 laying around. if u r on a budget, id look at that edelbrock package.. u know that like 400 hp 1. just get those heads and cam, keep ur stock tpi stuff, get a adjustable fuel pressure reg, those 22 lb injectors if u dont have them already *or i have some barely used, just to break in the engine 26lbinjectors i need to get ride of* and ofcourse a enw chip. again.. money does play a role.. but dont look at just the short term.. look at it in a long term view.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:46 AM

What kind of mileage do you get in town and on the highway?
Old 01-05-2003, 11:41 AM

city is about 17-19 mpg and highway is about 22-25.. depending on what speed im going.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:09 AM

That is awesome!

My 305 only pulls maybe 16 mpg when the weather is good.

Don't know about the highway but probably around 24 or so.