3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Question for those knowledgeable in the history...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:57 AM

Question for those knowledgeable in the history...

...of the 3rd gen.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am having an argument about a fellow who claims to have owned this:

1985 GTA prototype, limited production. It had a 305 TPI, but instead of the Lucas injection it had the Bosch. It had a special Iskenderian hard-face half-race cam. It also had a special head that was experimental. All these things together raised the HP to 324 @ 5800 RPM (I never had it dynoed so I can't verify this, but it would embarass the mainstream stock 305 TPI). I even beat a '92 Corvette in it once by a hair.

I had the 3-speed auto with the aforementioned 2nd gear lock-up. It would snap your head back shifting into 2nd even under light acceleration. I swear it felt like getting rear-ended. It used to break those big '50s loose at about 50 MPH and then just burn 'em unless you got off it. I only got about 6,000 miles on the first tires - Potenza RE-910. Most of the tread went up as smoke
Does such an animal exist or can someone give me some info/web pages so I can his ***?

I'm not to up on 3rd gen history, unfortunatley.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:38 PM

Sounds like bs to me. What the hell is a hard face cam? Solid, billet?

The 305's back then did have a problem with cam lobes going soft, so maybe the dealer replced the cam with something hotter than stock.

85 was one of the newer years for the TPI, but the 305 would have gotten iron heads, unless the dealer swapped those for the vette aluminum L98's during the cam swap.

The only second gear lockup back then was on the 84-88? corvette's with the T-10 4 speed, which they called the 4+3. It was an overdrive unit added to the back of the T-10 trans to give it overdrive in gears 2, 3, and 4.

It's possible, but unlikely. I'm from Detroit, and knew more than a few guys who worked in various parts of GM as engineers, and they all said that the prototype cars were never sold to the public and were crushed after testing. A few years ago, one guy who is still an engineer there said they were cleaning out their old cars and were crushing stuff like all-wheel drive camaros and chevelles. I've even seen a few engineering cars driving around Detroit with manufacturer's plates with some funky drivetrain combos when I used to work at a gas station. It's not unusual to see the next model year's new cars driving around a year ahead of production, but they all have manufacturer's plates, and I'm sure a tight reign is put on them, but anything's possible.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:48 PM

go to thirdgen.org and see what you can find
Old 12-06-2002, 03:34 PM

Unhappy

That's the biggest load of crap I ever heard.

And burning the tires at 50 with that combo - not likely. Especially if he barely "beat a Corvette".

Half race cam Sounds like some stupid redneck.

Smack him for me
Old 12-07-2002, 12:54 PM

Dude that is the biggest load of crap I heard today. I hate wen people come up to me and start saying they "i use to own a car like this" it had this and that and it was factory too. i just let them talk and go on my way. Some people are just stupid
Old 12-07-2002, 07:14 PM

half race cam? 324 hp at 5800 on a Tuned port infection motor? LOL

There is no way in hell that this guy is telling the truth. Everyone knows that heavily modified tuned port motors don't make power after 5400 at all. 324 NA hp out of a 305? sure buddy... sure.

I'll believe 325hp out of a 327 with a carb and a nice sized cam with headers/exhaust and massively/mid ranged ported heads but I will never believe a 305 half race cammed Tuned port motor making power at 5800 that just beats a 92 vette. The 92 vette ran a 14.0 or so with the LT1 motor. This guy makes 50 more hp and just beat him out.

Point and laugh... point and laugh....
Old 12-07-2002, 10:20 PM

wow...it takes an artist to weve a tapestry of BULLSH*T like that!

everything in that whole thing is a complete lie. the man is a redneck idiot.

call him a liar and beat him
Old 12-08-2002, 04:11 AM

No no you guys have to spin it this way... If a guy puts a new engine in his car it is STOCK out of another car or his garage... I mean come on lets see how many ways we can spin the BS
Old 12-08-2002, 04:43 AM
Eternal Member

1985 was the first year for TPI f/bodys. They did have a bigger cam that year but not enough to make 324hp. They also used some bosch injectors at times. I have never heard of a half race cam. GM has never used Potenza tires on there cars. When testing they use what will be on the car when sold. GM will not sell a test car to anyone. I have tried to buy a couple of test cars before just for the drivetrains. They crush them when done or store them for more testing later. I think the first year for the GTA was 87. I have worked for GM dealerships off and on for over 20 years. I know a bunch of people that work at the GM Tech Center. I know alot about the fbodys and have owned several going back to the 70's and have tried to read everything I can on the f/bodys. I have never heard anything about this and can't beleive it. There were several Firebird that were prototypes. There were none I know of in 1985 other than trim and some small engine changes. Sound to me like a thread I read the other day were this guy was talking about his mad max mustang with the blower he turned on and off when he wanted to race. NOT
Old 12-08-2002, 10:26 PM

lol

wheels up in smoke at 50 untill you get off the gas.

What an abrieviated approximation of the partial half truth that is.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:06 PM

BS

But TH350C's do lock up in second gear, rather rare tranny. Only saw one or two year production run. I believe you could get them in '81 Z28's.

Martin
Old 12-08-2002, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by RedIrocZ-28
half race cam? 324 hp at 5800 on a Tuned port infection motor? LOL

There is no way in hell that this guy is telling the truth. Everyone knows that heavily modified tuned port motors don't make power after 5400 at all. 324 NA hp out of a 305? sure buddy... sure.

I'll believe 325hp out of a 327 with a carb and a nice sized cam with headers/exhaust and massively/mid ranged ported heads but I will never believe a 305 half race cammed Tuned port motor making power at 5800 that just beats a 92 vette. The 92 vette ran a 14.0 or so with the LT1 motor. This guy makes 50 more hp and just beat him out.

Point and laugh... point and laugh....

While the story about the alledged GM "prototype/test" is total crap, well built stock eliminator 305 tuned ports can and do make that much hp and more using stock heads, intake (including throttle bodies), valve lift, etc. My friends K/SA 85 tpi equipped coupe regularly runs mid to high 11's. I won't tell you where his shift points are but I can tell you it's def higher than 5400. Don't ever sell these little motors short.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:55 AM

WELL WELL WELL

BS is everywhere.

GM did have some special cars in the early 80's all show and no go!

It is true that the 85 TPI cars were quicker (USED CORVETTE CAM)than 86 and 87 305 autos(USED LG4 camS)..... But they were all 700r4s

NO 3speeds?

For the power level he is talking about....MAybe a 89 turbo T/A

Not not stink'n 85?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:32 AM

Thumbs down I dunno guys I think I've seen that *snicker*

For real! ugh, my uncle has one of them. Ya, umm he said the same thing except his is when its in the 3rd gear and his flys if you slam on the breaks to catch air then smashed on the pedal to take off! yeah so don't call this guy a liar because they do exist!
Old 12-11-2002, 03:27 PM

Maybe be BS but I have read quite a few posts on this Board where someone makes BS horsepower/torque with Minor Mods- plug wires, midas
muffler and etc. You get the idea

Quick Reply: Question for those knowledgeable in the history...