3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

QUICK HELP NEEDED! Fuel Injector question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 PM

QUICK HELP NEEDED! Fuel Injector question!

Hey guys i got a 86 305tpi and its got a pretty bad miss under accel and idle. I just put back in my fuel injectors after having them serviced by cruzin performance. My question is this. are the injectors batch fire, or the other one? In other words, does it matter what injector connectors are plugged where in each side, or not? I am pretty sure i got them back where they were. I also checked my plug wires, and timing many times. Cant figure it out yet. Fuel pressure has also been checked, and at idle stays at 35psi, and drops only to 30 and holds when shut off. TPS sensor is in spec at .54 volts closed throttle, 4.55 WOT. I also checked all vacuum lines, and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and runners. No change in idle.

Parts replaced on car while intake was off are as follows.
AC Delco fuel pressure regulator
AC Delco egr valve, and temp switch
New GM intake gaskets, upper and lower, and runners
New AC Delco Intake Air temp sensor
Rebuilt fuel rail with new o rings.

AC Delco Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor all only 4 months old. Im not sure about my wires though, as they are Accel Superstocks. Don't know if I like them or not.
Any input would be greatly appriciated.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Re: QUICK HELP NEEDED! Fuel Injector question!

TPI was all batch fire, Sequential Fire was not introduced until the 4th Gen stuff.

What I would do is make sure that your fuel pressure is bumped up a bit. You have to remember that the injectors are rated at 43.5psi so the fuel pressure should be set to 43.5psi with the vacuum hose unplugged. It should drop to about 38-39ish with the vacuum line reattached.

This could be a part of the reason for a miss. Not sure. Maybe is running just a bit lean and causeing it to feel like a miss from the ignition.

But I am no expert. So take this for what its worth.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28
TPI was all batch fire, Sequential Fire was not introduced until the 4th Gen stuff.

What I would do is make sure that your fuel pressure is bumped up a bit. You have to remember that the injectors are rated at 43.5psi so the fuel pressure should be set to 43.5psi with the vacuum hose unplugged. It should drop to about 38-39ish with the vacuum line reattached.

This could be a part of the reason for a miss. Not sure. Maybe is running just a bit lean and causeing it to feel like a miss from the ignition.

But I am no expert. So take this for what its worth.

Thanks for the input, but I do believe I found the problem. i started going around and unplugging, and plugging back in each injector. When I got to number 2 cylinder, and plugged it back in, the cars idle smoothed right out. I dont know if it wasn't plugged in all the way, or the connector was cattywompus, but she runs GREAT now. Better than ever!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM

Oh, yah, that was my next suggestion Glad you found it.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 AM

another quick check for injectors firing, is get a mechanics stethescope, and listen to each injector, if 1 ain't firing you'll know