3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Re-building rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 05:19 PM

Angry Re-building rear end

I just blew the rear end on my 83 Z. I'm looking for any tech info/diagrams that can be found on the net on re building this. Also any info on gear ratios and any advice would be appriciated. Axle splnes, ring & pinion gears look fine. Also, where can I find a tech manual for this car?
Many thanks.

83Z-28, 305, Rochester carb, 5sp, Custom Flowmaster exhaust.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:37 PM

I'm gonna be honest with you, unless you really know your stuff about rearends, or have set up a couple before, I'd leave it to a pro. Not that backlash is terribly difficult to set, it just takes some know-how, not to mention a dial indicator and a shim pack.

As for gearsets, I'm assuming you have the 7.5" rear. Be damn sure you know which carrier it has, there are two. One is for 3.08 and numerically higher gears, which use a standard ring gear, and one is for 3.08 and numerically lower ring gears, which require special thicker ring gears. I've been through this stuff once, learn from my mistake. Count the teeth on your ring and pinion gears, and divide the number of teeth on your ring by the number of teeth on your pinion, this will give you your stock ratio. From there you can use deductive reasoning to figure out which carrier you have and order whatever ratio you want for that carrier. Also, if you have a GM-type Positraction differential, make sure you go by a GM dealer and get the Limited Slip Lubricant Additive, it's about $10 and it comes in a little clear plastic bottle with red lettering on it. Add this stuff to the rear just before you put the gear oil in it. If you're determined to do it yourself, look through auto parts stores and bookstores for technical manuals on how to do it. Shouldn't be a big deal to find one. Good luck.

------------------
Horsepower is like cheese, you can add it to ANYTHING and it's a little more enjoyable.

-Posey
Old 09-05-2002, 12:00 AM

Lightbulb

My advice on rebuilding a rear? If you haven't done it before don't try. 85tpi is right that it isn't difficult if you know how, but if you have your wear pattern off or too few shims or something then the gears aren't gonna last long at all, and then you end up rebuilding it again next summer.

------------------
TheGreatJ
1991 Camaro RS "Suzanne"
http://thegreatj.cz28.com