3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

RE:LT1 4th Gen VS L98 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 08:22 PM

RE:LT1 4th Gen VS L98 3rd Gen

That really turned into a pissing contest.. 9 pages!!!!! mostly bickering. The only 4th gens I like are the WS6's with the huge ram airs.. They look mean. My friend has a 97 SS with some air box work, K&N, New exhaust it ran high 12's all day long. But I mean what's 12's? every mustang I know runs 12's. To be a real racer around here you need to be in the 11's. Thus the sig. I bought my 3rd gen cause I loved the way she looks. T-tops, wide stance, It's almost considered to be a classic. To me that's a muscle car. If you want a good comparison between a lt1 and a l98 find someone who has a miniram on there 350 and race a lt1. That would be the only real way to see who is really king between the two.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:02 AM

no better yet, get a bone stock lt1 and find someone who has a 383 all forged rotating assembly, accel superram, twin turbos, slicks, boxed control arms, and a 300 horse shot of nitrous and race them and see who the real king is.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:41 AM

Oh yeah mr kraft.
If you think a taken care of ls1 is due for a rebuild, or even close to it at 30k you are sadly mistaken. Why in the world would i take an LS1 with 30k on it that I can hear, or see run, and verify mileage before purchase, and rebuild it. Better yet, are you saying if i buy a used car, i should do a complete teardown and rebuild because i cant trust what the guy did to it before me. Or should i not eat at public restaurants because i do not know if the guy blew a wad in my spaghetti or not? I am missing your point.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:00 AM

Why do people put up post like this Even if you did put a intake on a L98 the stock cam and heads wont make the power the LT1 makes "STOCK"

IMO I do like the looks of 3rd gens better..But that is just me I dont try to tell everyone they are better cause I like them.

Take my TA for example I was running 11's on stock motor no cam or heads. with the help of a 150 shot. I dont see a fullly loaded 3rd gen doing that. with a "stock" motor!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:48 AM

bow down to the almighty superior in everyway LT1
Old 10-06-2003, 10:48 AM

i think with this "reply" you have just opened up another can of worms
Old 10-06-2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by 91Zman
bow down to the almighty superior in everyway LT1
Well it is. Just like the TPI was better than TBI. Just like the LS1 is to the LT1. Its called evolution and technology.

I was at the EFA shootout this past weekend at MIR. Bolt on LS1's were running 11.6. Bolt on LT1 best was 12.0. That means no bolt on that touches oil. Real bolt ons. The LS1 cars were cleaning house.

Power adder class seems to equalize a little better between the LT1 and LS1 as most were in the 10's.

Going to be hard pressed to find a TPI that is even close to that let alone match it.

For the record, fastest car there was a 3rd gen Formula. Small block with a vortec. Don't know the specs but it was very impressive. Ran a 9.41 vs a LT1 running 9.9 n/a for top spot in Outlaw class.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:16 PM

Guys it's all about what you do. It's a progression, stock for stock, the LT1 is better than the L98, stock for stock the LS1 is better than the LT1. If you have an L98 or an LT1 and want to be faster then you gotta get under the hood and do some work. Plain and simple. Once the modding starts all bets are off.

John
Old 10-06-2003, 08:43 PM

All I meant was that some people here were acting like LT1s were THAT much better than all L98s,that they were crap.Sure not all L98s were great.Sure L98s had breathing problems but nothing like headers,intake,exhaust,and porting would mostly cure.It did have more torque than LT1s(and some LS1s),the later L98s anyway.It also seems that people had more common issues with their LT1s than I ever heard about L98s. Sorry for the sarcasm earlier.

Last edited by 91Zman; 10-06-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by 91Zman
All I meant was that some people here were acting like LT1s were THAT much better than all L98s,that they were crap.Sure not all L98s were great.Sure L98s had breathing problems but nothing like headers,intake,exhaust,and porting would mostly cure.It did have more torque than LT1s(and some LS1s),the later L98s anyway.It also seems that people had more common issues with their LT1s than I ever heard about L98s. Sorry for the sarcasm earlier.
Agreed.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:53 PM

I'm Sorry, But if you're going to make a camparison, look at the entire package.
As far as whose superior, Stock vs Stock....forget the lies! Everyone "in the know" knows the L98's numbers were sandbagged....who knows all the reasons why, who cares. But I've owned and raced mine in BONE stock condition for a while, and I can honestly say,"I was NEVER beaten by any of the 20-some-odd LT1's that raced me, NEVER!
Superior???I think only in techknology, not in performance; as PCM, programmable transmission are concerned. But lets not forget "Opti-crap" as it's affectionately know by to its owners. Problamatic "reverse cooling", Poor styling, lets face it they're just Blah....Only with the last couple of years of 4th Gens did styling see a "ray of hope", with cars like the "Ram Air TA and the revived "SS Camaro". Actually the V6 cars got the best styling Q's.
The miniram gives them a little more breating room on top, say if you race to 140+mph! But from 0-120 we're Right There, stride for stride, and we can out-corner any LT1 F-body...My Iroc corners like it's on rails!....
Park a good example of each, side-by-side, and take a poll, you'll see.......
Old 10-06-2003, 11:04 PM

RobsWS6,
Nice car! But I find you're account of EFI class "Bolt-on" times Extremely hard to believe, unless they were bolting on 150Hp+ shots of Nitrous! I've been Racing a little for a good many years...If I saw an LS1 hit 11.6 with just simple "bolt ons" I'd sell my car tomorrow!...
What constitutes "bolt-ons" there???
Old 10-07-2003, 12:43 AM

L98's are sandbagged huh. LMAO!!! Dude seriously, we all love f-bodies, we all love 3rd gens, but cut the bull****. L98's have their hands full with a 5.0 mustang, period end of story. stride for stride with an lt1 to 120 mph, That is even more hilarious. I hate when people get on here and just because they own a particular car, it is better then everything else. Why lie, seriosly do you think people will believe your foolishness? And who came up with the false statistic that 3rd gens handle better??? Are we talking 1le Iroc's vs a v-6 93 camaro with hubcaps and p195/75-14 tires?? I just find this whole post amusing anymore. And as far as the LT1 being a BLAH motor, what is the "problematic" part of the reverse flow cooling? And also the optispark is easliy fixed by a 95-up vented unit, which if you have a 95-up it does not apply to you? To make a long story short, you are the king, your IROC, handles better, accelerates quicker, stops faster, and is way better looking then any LT1 out there, even if all the statistics prove the complete opposite, it does not matter you are the man. Where can i get an IROC-Z like yours that demolishes LT1's and gives Ls1's the run of their life? Can i trade my formula which is the same car with different skin, same motor, all the goodies, away for an iroc like yours that demolishes lt1's unlike my L98.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:38 AM

Are we talking 1le Iroc's vs a v-6 93 camaro with hubcaps and p195/75-14 tires??
Hahaha, you said hubcaps
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by 1986MCSS
L98's are sandbagged huh. LMAO!!! Dude seriously, we all love f-bodies, we all love 3rd gens, but cut the bull****. L98's have their hands full with a 5.0 mustang, period end of story. stride for stride with an lt1 to 120 mph, That is even more hilarious. I hate when people get on here and just because they own a particular car, it is better then everything else. Why lie, seriosly do you think people will believe your foolishness? And who came up with the false statistic that 3rd gens handle better??? Are we talking 1le Iroc's vs a v-6 93 camaro with hubcaps and p195/75-14 tires?? I just find this whole post amusing anymore. And as far as the LT1 being a BLAH motor, what is the "problematic" part of the reverse flow cooling? And also the optispark is easliy fixed by a 95-up vented unit, which if you have a 95-up it does not apply to you? To make a long story short, you are the king, your IROC, handles better, accelerates quicker, stops faster, and is way better looking then any LT1 out there, even if all the statistics prove the complete opposite, it does not matter you are the man. Where can i get an IROC-Z like yours that demolishes LT1's and gives Ls1's the run of their life?

Can i trade my formula which is the same car with different skin, same motor, all the goodies, away for an iroc like yours that demolishes lt1's unlike my L98.
While I definetly agree with you that the lt1's rip off better quarter mile times, some people are mis-lead by the light to light performance of a TPI versus lt1. I rarely see an LT1 take out a TPI car stock for stock on downtown street.

What I will agree with is that a fourth gen can not touch a third gen Z or irocZ in handling. I own both generations and can Gaurantee you that my 87 z28 will KILL the T/A in the corners.

A good handling Iroc is more suited to comparison to a 2000 corvette than a fourth gen f-body.

Quick Reply: RE:LT1 4th Gen VS L98 3rd Gen