3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

rear disc brake swap????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 06:04 PM

Question rear disc brake swap????

Hi, I have a 91 TA with rear drum brakes, and while in the junkyard the other day,I found a 88-90? formula with rear disc brakes. What do I need to swap the drums to disc, and/or modify, and would it be worth it??? I can get the setup for around $50 which seems pretty cheap.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:39 PM

Not sure about whether or not you need to swap the brake lines, but I know you have to get the distribution block off the master cylinder of the donor car, otherwise the calipers won't get the right amount of fluid and the rear brakes won't work right. You'll need the calipers and their brakets, I'd get new pads and rotors just on general principle. If I were you I'd find out what gears are in the junkyard rear and see about just swapping the whole thing, it's probably a posi too. BTW $50 is hella cheap for a disc brake conversion.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
Not sure about whether or not you need to swap the brake lines, but I know you have to get the distribution block off the master cylinder of the donor car, otherwise the calipers won't get the right amount of fluid and the rear brakes won't work right. You'll need the calipers and their brakets, I'd get new pads and rotors just on general principle. If I were you I'd find out what gears are in the junkyard rear and see about just swapping the whole thing, it's probably a posi too. BTW $50 is hella cheap for a disc brake conversion.
I just had my whole rear end swapped out rather than try to change just the brakes & got a limit slip/posi with fresh posi additive in the deal. The gears were the same so it was a bolt in job & they did change out the proportioning valve for the brakes.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:18 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Re: rear disc brake swap????

Originally posted by black91TA
Hi, I have a 91 TA with rear drum brakes, and while in the junkyard the other day,I found a 88-90? formula with rear disc brakes. What do I need to swap the drums to disc, and/or modify, and would it be worth it??? I can get the setup for around $50 which seems pretty cheap.
You can put disc brakes on a drum brake rear end, but its not something a novice can do. There is a tech article about it at http://www.thirdgen.org/ I think. My dad has done this several times now.

It would be much easier to swap the whole rear end, but keep in mind a rear end from an 88-89 would be a 9-bolt. Its a stronger and better rear end, but if its got 2.77 gears, it's expensive to upgrade.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:13 PM

I'll find out more info this weekend (when I get back to the junkyard) I know that the car is a forumla 350, and it's a 90 or older........ BTW, my car has a posi in it, I think it's a 3.42 so I'd probably want to stay with the rearend I got.....
Old 09-20-2002, 08:30 PM

Well the '91 rears had different brake mounts for disc and drum rears (I believe) so swapping might be a major pain....could involve modifying the flange at the end of the axle tube or even cutting it off and replacing it. Don't quote me on that though 'cause I'm not entirely certain.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 PM

BTW if thats a 9-bolt other than a 2.77 and you decide you don't want it, could you get a price on it anyway? I'm in the market for one in the next few weeks. I'd love it if it's a 3.45 rear but I'm not sure which cars they came in....