3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

rebuilt/new engine wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM

rebuilt/new engine wont start

Ok, well first off this is my first time posting here so i hope i'm in the right area. I own a 86 z28 (at least thats what the title says and it has all the trimmings of one, but it came with a factory v6, i don't think the factory z28 came with a v6?)

anyway we bought a 350 4 bolt main block from a machine shop and ever since that day we have had nothing but problems with this build up.

the spec's are as follow:
350 4 bolt main bored 30 over
Trw flat top pistons
perfect circle piston rings (chrome)
194 heads
4 barrel holley duel feed duel pump 750
hei distributor (after market)
edlebrock intake
energizer crane cam kit (mild)

Timing chain checked and re-checked twice.

#1 Top center compression stroke rotor points to #1 plug, turn engine more and exhaust valve begins to open.

Spark is strong.

Fuel pressure is 8 p.s.i with a healthy squirt from the carb.

Compression 140-150 p.s.i, wet compression 180-190 p.s.i

Starter cranks at approx 200 rpm.

checked every and all firing orders (just in case)

No vacuum leaks that we can see.

this car has been a nightmare from brand new fuel pumps being bad right out of the box to getting stuck with 3 wrong intakes (that they wouldn't let me return) 2 sets of headers that didn't fit (got a pair that fits now)

Any help or even an idea of where to look next would be more then welcomed were just stumped here, thanks in advance

(oh btw if this matters the car has open headers)
Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Is the cam degreed right? Did you line the marks up on the timing chain gears correctly? So you have strong spark at the plugs? Or at the coil? Also go to thirdgen.org that is a phenomenal site for thirdgen cars like ours. That is where I do a vast majority of my posting.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Yes the cam is degreed properly, my father did that him self and hes been in the business for a long time so i'm confident its degreed properly. (he even double checked that this morning)

and thanks for the link ill post this there as well, the more ideas we get the better.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM

For one,the fuel pressure is too high,back it down to 5.5-6.

Where did you check the spark,at the plug or the coil? Stick a screwdriver into the plug boot,set it near a ground and turn the motor over to check for spark.

What do you have the timing set at? What degree/degree's have you tried to start it?

Does it even try to start,or does it just turn over smoothly?

Z28's NEVER came w/ a V6 just to let ya know.

Where did you get the 12V power for the HEI?? What color wire?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM

we checked the spark on each wire/plug with a tool that connects to the boot then to the spark plug, they all have spark

A few times it sounded kinda close but lately all we get is a few random pops from the headers.

The 12v wire thats powering the HEI is a proper gauge wire that we have connected right to the battery when we try to start it ( just did it this way to start the car)

Not to sure on the degree part ill post back as soon as i find out.

And about the z28 v6 no one beleaves me till i show them the title and pop the hood open either it was a fluke or some one spent alot of time putting a stock v6 with all the factory stuff in it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Another thing... Are you sure your timing cover tab is in the right location vs the balancer? It's either the 2 o'clock or 12 o'clock position, if you have this off, it will not run, much less start.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Yeah the timing tab is at the 2 o clock position, still a no go tomorrow were gonna put some oil in the cylinders make sure the starter isnt sticking or drawing to much power and give starter fluid a shot. ( i heard holleys hate starter fluid though tears them up)

Wish me luck...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Was also wondering if theres another way to test fuel besides separation?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:22 PM

I don't know about testing fuel. About the only thing I've done is collect some from the fuel line and put it in a 20oz pop bottle. pour some out and see if it will light. Also, see if the rest of the fuel (in the pop bottle) has water at the bottom. Did you put fresh fuel in it, or was the car sitting a long time and now you are just using what was in there? Just a thought.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 PM

If your worried about the fuel being bad or having water in it,fill a clear glass jar (or equivalent) and let it sit. After a few hours the water and fuel will separate w/ the water being on top.

Either someone stuck the V6 in there or the title is a mistake. Z28 is the performance option for the Camaro,the smallest engine they ever came w/ (Z28's) is a 305.

Hold the throttle wide open and spray starting fluid in it. The only thing that could happen is it blow a $3 power valve in the carb...it might or might not start/run after that happends...hell that might be whats wrong now,has it backfired through the carb at all while trying to start it? All it takes is one good time and its screwed.

What are 194 heads? Old school or are those one of the types of Vortec's?? If they are Vortec's,what kind of intake gasket are you using? Alot of people dont know this,but you can tighten the intake bolts too much and actually cause a vacuum leak between the sets of bolts b/c of the intake mani. bowing. They need to be BARELY SNUG.

Last edited by Rice Killer87; 08-20-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rice Killer87
If your worried about the fuel being bad or having water in it,fill a clear glass jar (or equivalent) and let it sit. After a few hours the water and fuel will separate w/ the water being on top.
Gas will be at the bottom.

Otherwise, doe what this guy says