3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

RIP to my L98

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 06:33 PM

RIP to my L98

yeah... remember i said i had problems with it? my mechanic and two other guys i know agree that a rebuild is in order... no compression in any cylinders, oil leaked on every spark plug... so yeah, i'd have to agree with them on that too. right when i was about to give them the OK to rebuild the engine, i thought of something. how about an LT1? i found myself a sweet deal on a 1994 LT1 for $500... wires, ecm, and all. im going to have them put it in, but i was wondering... i have an A4 tranny, and my tach doesnt work so i dont know where it's shifting... when i get a new tach, where should the tranny be shifting if i decided to put the LT1 in it. close to 5800-6000 rpms? im going to have them put a new distributor on the LT1 as well as a new water pump and have them look over the engine for any leaks and stuff... anyone got any suggestions on what i should pull out of the car im getting the LT1 from to put into my iroc? im so bummed that this happened and that im going to have to dish out mad flow for this... but hey... what can you do? worst part is that i dont have any money because im pretty much jobless, so im borrowing money from family that im going to have to pay back, lol. does anyone on the board tried putting an LT1 in their 3rd gen? if so, i'd like to get your sn so we can talk or something because this is something im doing because it's cheaper than rebuilding my L98. i like the way LT1's handle power, but it's gonna feel weird going from learning everything about L98's to having to re-learn so i know what im doing with the LT1. thanks guys... if anyone's got any websites or anything with info on LT1's, let me know... like i said, i've got to start all over again now with the LT1 comming into the picture, lol
Old 12-23-2003, 09:14 PM

may the L98 rest in peace....it shall be missed, its torque will not be forgotten......rev on tpi 5.7, rev on

and i think we all know the answer to this.......LT1!!!!!! (and sell me that damn TPI like we discused earlier )

Last edited by chevyman502bb; 12-23-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:41 PM

to use your auto trans, you will need a 93 f-body TB or a 92/93 y-body one

aftermarket will work as well , as long as it will work on a 92/93
Old 12-23-2003, 11:25 PM

Pull the engine, wiring harness, computer, get the accessories, grab the radiator if you can, and all hoses/lines. A really good website is www.camaroz28.com Seriously though, the LT1 forum on here is awesome. They answer questions real quick.

Swap Info--I imagine you've already done a search but if not, do one. There's a lot of good info on this site along with www.thirdgen.org

I hope you know we're going to need pics and a complete write-up!

-Corey
Old 12-24-2003, 03:38 AM

to use your auto trans, you will need a 93 f-body TB or a 92/93 y-body one
why's that?

I hope you know we're going to need pics and a complete write-up!
yeah... i'll write all about the LT1 going in... what im going to do is take the L98 and rebuild it myself so later on when i get another project car with a crap engine i can drop it in and keep the L98 on the road im not letting her go... im just pretty happy i have an excuse to drop in the LT1 in my 3rd gen lol

but damn... i wonder if my mechanic is talking sh*t cuz he couldnt figure out wtf is up with the iroc. he says the engine needs to be rebuilt because i have no compression... only thing is he doesnt understand much english and i dont understand spanish at all. all mechanics in miami speak spanish and no english, it's pretty upsetting the ones that speak english though tax you pretty bad...
Old 12-24-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by dj haf
why's that?

yeah... i'll write all about the LT1 going in... what im going to do is take the L98 and rebuild it myself so later on when i get another project car with a crap engine i can drop it in and keep the L98 on the road im not letting her go... im just pretty happy i have an excuse to drop in the LT1 in my 3rd gen lol

but damn... i wonder if my mechanic is talking sh*t cuz he couldnt figure out wtf is up with the iroc. he says the engine needs to be rebuilt because i have no compression... only thing is he doesnt understand much english and i dont understand spanish at all. all mechanics in miami speak spanish and no english, it's pretty upsetting the ones that speak english though tax you pretty bad...
92/93 y-body (vette) and 93 f-body were the only years of LT1 that came with a auto trans (700R4/4L60) with a TV cable, the newer TB's didn't have a provision on the throttle lever for the TV cable to hook up...you will need the mounting bracket from the 92/93 also
Old 12-24-2003, 07:23 AM

youre making alot of work for yourself with writeups and pics. now youve sparked our interest into what happened with your old motor, and were gonna _need_ to see that when you tear into it
Old 12-24-2003, 12:55 PM

went to go see the LT1 i was talking about... dumbass didnt tell me the bottom was all rusted out. it came from a 94 vette that fell into a lake. nice huh? so i called my mechanic and he told me just to let him rebuild the L98 and i'll be str8.... so thats what im going to do. im also thinking about getting my heads ported and a bigger cam, but since money is an issue, i dont know if im going to be doing that or not. i think i'll just do the cam now and wait till i get money to port my heads later. what would you guys do? i have 500$ cash right now... but i dont think i want to spend it all. what cam should i go with? my mechanic told me to go with the L98 cam from SLP, but i want to get your opinion on this... peace man

EDIT: i dont wanna spend mad money on this because i plan on getting a mini ram within the next 6 months, and i'll probably end up getting a better cam to go with it. then, after that, afr heads i just want a cheap cam that'll give me power for my tpi setup right now

Last edited by dj haf; 12-24-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:35 PM

DJ, all this hipe for nothing! I know what you mean though, money. If you're going with a MR soon, maybe a ZZ9 cam, also from TPIS. The two together ae supposed to be potent. Also, maybe an LT4 Hotcam?

-Corey
Old 12-24-2003, 04:55 PM

what im looking for is something that'll compliment the tpi without me having to reprogram the ecm and stuff like that... something with power though, ill get a bigger and better cam when i get my MR cuz by then ill also have the money to get my car reprogrammed

sorry to hype you guys up... i wanted it to happen, but yet again, i didn't... ehh w/e, lol
Old 12-25-2003, 04:37 AM

GMPP part# 10185071, ZZ4 cam = $180.
275*/280*, 208*/221*@.050"
.474"/.510" w 1.5 ratio's.
LSA 112*
Springs #10134358, orange code.$35
1.273 O.D.,
110#@1.70", 1.16" solid height,(bind), 356psi.
What I'm running...You'll need the "valve guide seal bosses" cut down for the cam, and spring seats adjusted for losing the oil shields = $60-$70..
Old 12-25-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro

Ill buy your intake, ECM, wiring, etc from you.

Old 12-25-2003, 02:13 PM

went to go see the LT1 i was talking about... dumbass didnt tell me the bottom was all rusted out. it came from a 94 vette that fell into a lake. nice huh? so i called my mechanic and he told me just to let him rebuild the L98 and i'll be str8.... so thats what im going to do.

90rocz, you think instead of getting a cam right now, i should just get my heads ported to the max? or headers? i want to do something to the engine while it's out, but im not sure which one to do... headers, cam or ported heads. which one do you think i'd see more power from? reason im re-thinking the cam is because im going to end up getting a new cam when i get the mini ram... i could still use the ported heads after i get the mini ram and cam till i get myself a pair of AFR's. headers would help too... which one of the three do you think is the hardest to install while the engine is in the car?
Old 12-25-2003, 11:54 PM

Definitely the cam b/c of length, but it'll make the biggest difference.
But you can get a good "Bowl Port" + 3-angle valve job + good valve springs + "Street Flo valves 1.94/.15 and some 1.6 rockers...stuff you can re-use..
Old 12-26-2003, 12:01 AM

i would do upgrades that are the hardest to do when the engine is in, while the engine is out and easy to get to. that way you will save $ or time and knuckle blood later on. think about it, if it can save you money later its worth doing now.

Quick Reply: RIP to my L98