3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

RIP to my L98

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:31 AM

what would be harder to install while the engine is in, headers or cam? could you still install a cam if the engine was in the car? cuz i might be leaning more towards headers if it's harder to install than a cam
Old 12-29-2003, 09:57 AM

Can't you get headers now and use them with the new heads you'll get later? If so, you won't be buying something you can't use later, like the cam.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:32 AM

dj,
I would think headers would be a slightly easier task while the engine is in the car. The cam can be done, not too bad from what I've heard/read. I think you have to take the radiator out, along with the obvious pieces (timing chain, cover, accessories, etc). Cams are pretty cheap, I'd just buy the cam and install it before you put the engine back in. Just my opinion though, either way it won't be too bad.

Also, what headers are you looking at? I'm going to need some soon and was wondering what everyone is running.

-Corey
Old 12-29-2003, 03:45 PM

actually... i made a decision already. i just ordered a set of Hedman LT 1 5/8 x 3 headers for 300$ on summit. they're pretty cheap, and they'll last me up to 450 hp. the moment i decide to pass 450 hp, i'll get myself a set of hooker 1 3/4 LT headers... right now, i dont have a job and im kinda stretching for cash, but if im pushing 450+ hp down the line, i'd only be able to do that if i had a job, so... if i have a job, i can pay for the hooker LT's and sell the hedman to one of my friends or something... it'll all work out in the end.

i couldnt get in touch with anyone i knew to port out my heads... so i said *** it. the cam... i decided to leave that alone till i get the mini ram and my afr's.

reason i went with hedman is because, headers are headers... hooker long tubes will give me the same power as hedman long tubes at the same size... the hooker lt's though that i saw were 1 3/4 and from what i understand, i'd lose a little bit of power putting in headers that are too big for my setup. if i was running over 450 hp, i'd go with the 1 3/4 sized headers... but im not. see you guys later man