3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

screwed 16 years ago... and some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by CamaroZ28Coupe
well if it werent for the fact that you have the engine sitting right in front of you then i think many people would def fight against you on that. which goes along with the fact that I and many other people are genuinely surprised . I thought that every corvette v8 since the begining or near the beginning all had 4 bolts. (regardless of the power output)

i am not saying your wrong at all, i am just kinda surprised, and i guess a little bit more knowledgeable.
"I'm with Stupid ^^" Just kidding. I totally agree.

I was under the same impression that all Vette's got 4-bolts. Dang.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by CamaroZ28Coupe
well if it werent for the fact that you have the engine sitting right in front of you then i think many people would def fight against you on that. which goes along with the fact that I and many other people are genuinely surprised . I thought that every corvette v8 since the begining or near the beginning all had 4 bolts. (regardless of the power output)

i am not saying your wrong at all, i am just kinda surprised, and i guess a little bit more knoledgeable.

see you learn something everyday, thats why these forums are so great, besides all the misinformation that gets spread around, someone out there always has proof. its just a matter of getting that person to post what they know.

the more posts, the more you learn...keep em comin
I believe there are several reasons for this.
One is that though out the 60's and 70's Corvette's had always gotten the "good stuff". Four bolt mains, forged cranks, "pink" rods, big cams., etc.
Unfortunately after the 74 fuel crisis things started to go down hill fast. First the elimination of the BB, then decreasing hp numbers. My 87 was only rated at 240hp.
It was during this period (the early to mid 80's) that Chevrolet started to building Corvette's with the 2 bolt main, cast crank engines.
Another reason that there may be confusion, is that most replacement engine were, I believe 4 bolt mains. There is a rumor right now that all LT1 factory replacement engine had 4 bolt mains.
Lastly, I believe, though I have not research this, that the LT1 engine that appeared in the early 90's also has 4 bolt mains.

One final thought, Chevrolet has been known to produce some "odd *****". Cars that had things that they weren't suppose to.