3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Smoke from Tailpipe......PLEASE HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 03:20 AM

Question Smoke from Tailpipe......PLEASE HELP??

Hey guys, I am still trying to figure out my smoking problem with my '87 Camaro 4bbl. I have pretty elimitated the broken ring thing because my plugs are clean and there isn't blow-by smoke coming from the breathers. I checked by intake manifold bolts tonight and some were lose and others were not torqued to 30 ft lbs. I also removed and checked to see if the EGR valve was holding vacuum, it isn't. I so will replace it tomorrow. I put a screwdriver down the left EGR hole (looking from the passenger side) and found a decent amount of carbon, sludge, and oil on the end of the screwdriver.

Could this be my cause of the blue-ish smoke when give the car gas? Or when I start the car after its already warm? It doesn't smoke at all when cold (stone cold). I was begining to think my stock aluminum GM intake is warped or something and oil was being sucked from the lifter valley. I am running out of ideas of what it could be. Please Help!!!

Also, all SMOG lines, EGR, PCV, everything is hooked up and the car could be SMOG'd anytime and pass the visual test.

------------------
Cable Bright
-'87 Camaro Z28 (gettin' STROKER Power)
-'91 Caprice 9C1
-'70 El Camino 454 RAT

"....after all, people just want a normal life and a cool car....most people settle for the car."

[This message has been edited by Odd_Ball_Racing (edited June 26, 2002).]
Old 06-26-2002, 05:23 AM

Update:

I ended up pulling the intake. I can see a leak in the intake gasket on the passenger side. The leak is right below the EGR valve. The are two little holes in the intake that are right next to #6 intake runner. The leak in the gasket is from one of those holes (the closest one to the #6 intake runner) into the #6 runner. Plus there was more of that thick, oil sludge on the gasket itself. A buddy has a Performer EGR intake that I can nail for $20. I think I will put that intake back on the engine, just incase my current GM intake is warped.

I still need your guys input/feedback. Is this just an unlucky thing and my problem is solved or do I need to look for something else? Thanks again guys.

------------------
Cable Bright
-'87 Camaro Z28 (gettin' STROKER Power)
-'91 Caprice 9C1
-'70 El Camino 454 RAT

"....after all, people just want a normal life and a cool car....most people settle for the car."
Old 07-01-2002, 01:32 PM

UPDATE #2:

I finished last night, and then fired her up. It is still smoking, even after a 30 mile drive. I don't know what to do now. All 8 plug are clean as a bell, if a ring was broken shouldn't there be alittle oil on a plug? Should I block off the EGR and see if it stops then?

------------------
Cable Bright
-'87 Camaro Z28 383
-'91 Caprice 9C1 (getting a new 350 soon!!)
-'70 El Camino 454 RAT

Old 07-01-2002, 06:49 PM

Well i think its time to replace your vavle stem seals.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:31 PM

Question

I agree, considering that the motor has less than 1000 on it. Maybe the machinist forgot to add seals in the first place?

------------------
Cable Bright
-'87 Camaro Z28 383
-'70 El Camino 454 RAT

Old 07-01-2002, 11:44 PM

I am having the same promblem with smoking. Espically after I start it smoke alot and when I go it smokes a little, I'm not for sure if it still does it when I'm going but I do know that It smokes alot when I start it up. Will chaning the spark plugs and wires fix this promblem.

thanks adam
Old 07-03-2002, 09:53 AM

Camaroz2885, changing plugs and wires won't stop your smoking. It smokes on startup because while it was stopped, some oil seeped past the valve seals and got into the cylinders where it burned on startup. The smoke while you're driving can be oil getting past the piston rings.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:52 PM

have to say i agree totally with sci, i have a smoking problem too, but i know now mine is becuase its running really rich, it was sitting for awhile. All a tuneup does is make the car run stronger, try to clean your fuel injectors some times that can be a culprit, but most likely its oil burning
Old 07-03-2002, 08:49 PM

Question

So know that I know the promblem what do I need to do to fix it? Is it going to be exspensive, and also Im fixing to get mods heads cam and etc. Will the new heads solve this promblem?
Thanks adam
Old 07-05-2002, 01:12 PM

Angry

ok i retract my statement, i got the tuneup and cleaned out my injectors and now im still smoking and its getting worse, like a greyish bluish color. It smokes nomatter what temperature my engine is,when i rev the engine and just idiling, and im just hoping the parts to fix this isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg. still dont know what the problem could be.

------------------
85 camaro Z-28, fuel injection, V8, 61,000 orig miles
Old 07-10-2002, 08:26 PM

Well, think about it this way, blue smoke is oil being burnt.

From that we can determine...
There is oil in your combustion chamber.

Now there is 5 ways oil can get there...

#1 blown head gasket or warped head can cause leakage from block/head mating surface. This is usually alot of smoke, because coolant is closer to the bore and thinner than oil usually there is more white smoke (burning coolant) than blue. In your situation id say unless it is a bad gasket and has been doing this from day 1 this is probibly not the problem.

#2 Cracked block, Highly unlikely in a new motor.

#3 Bad piston rings are allowing oil to seep in from the crank case. Also unlikely.

#4 Oil is being introduced into the system in the head or intake. When you had the intake off, did you see oil in the intake ports in the heads? if so this may be it.

But all 4 of these should like you said coat the spark plug with oil.

My bet, And I'd put money on it. is one or more of the exhaust valve guildes are bad.
Intake valve guides would suck oil in on the intake stroke and fill the combustion chamber with oily residue, However, Exhaust valve guildes wouls be pulling oil in on the very tail end of the power stroke when the exhaust valve first opens. Then, on the exhaust stroke the oil would immedately be pushed out the exhaust port and my not even touch the spark plug. Then, the oil would come to rest in the manifolds or in the cat where it would be burnt off by the intense heat there and come out the tail pipe. This would also explain why it doesnt do it untill the motor has warmed up a bit, it takes a little while for the cat to heat up.

Good luck!

------------------
94 Red Z28 A4
Home-made Ram Air Scoop/Moroso CAI/JET Airfoil/1LE Elbow/TB bypass/Mac Headers, Gutted cat/B&B Tri-flo Catback/ March 2pc. Underdrive pullies/BMR STB/PST front end kit and oversized sway bar/ NGK-TR55 Plugs/ 17" X 9.5" Budnik Raptors / Nitto 555 Drags
2 / 600 / watt IMPP 304 12's /600 watt amp/Pioneer Big Face Head/3 stock Bose speakers 2 /Rockford fosgate 6 1/4 punches
Best run
13.631 @ 100mph 2.02 60ft with mods in sig
http://www.pla-net.net/~feerst/spankbestet.jpg

[This message has been edited by fastenuff (edited July 10, 2002).]
Old 07-10-2002, 10:33 PM

I am having the same promblem with smoking. Espically after I start it smoke alot and when I go it smokes a little,

I think we just started a new club

the SAA Smokers Anonymous Association

But really..I have the same smoke on cold startup too..it has been doing it since I bought it 3 years ago and it has not gotten worse or better with time. I have been told that its the valve seals. since I have a 1991 350 TPI, I thought it could be gas flooding it, like a carborator, but yours is carborated. So I don't know yet.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:35 PM

Thank you very much, everything you wrote agree with 100%. The exhaust guide theory makes the most sense, completely. Again, thank you for your help, have a great day!!

------------------
Cable Bright
-'87 Camaro Z28 383
-'70 El Camino 454 RAT

Old 07-11-2002, 02:10 PM

If it was just too much gas it wouldnt be blue. You dont notice the smoke as much when you are moving because is is spread throught the air... And it will always smoke more on startup untill the cat heats up enough to do its job...
Old 07-11-2002, 02:54 PM

I know you were addressing the other member but I thought I would chime in with alittle more info on my Camaro.

After I first got the car running after the new motor install I noticed the smoke. Shortly after I pulled the CAT, hollowed it and put it back on with a noticable power gain. But with no change in the smoking.

------------------
Cable Bright
-'87 Camaro Z28 383
-'70 El Camino 454 RAT