3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:05 PM

Steering Issues

Ok, so... Lemme start out by saying this entire problem is weak. My car has always had a slight pull to the right. No allignment would fix it. I've gone to a dozen mechanics, and each one has told me its FOR SURE this or that... each saying something different.

I've installed the complete Moog frontend rebuild kit, steering wonderbar, koni shocks and struts, sway bar end links, polyurethane bushings all the way around, had tires rotated and an allignment done.

It still pulls to the right. It acts almost like a memory steer... it'll go straight until I make a righthand turn, then until I turn left, it'll pull to the right. I've been told its my tires. I've been told I need a new steering box. I've been told its FOR SURE my steering column. One mechanic even said it was, GUARANTEED, my rearend.

Now, I'm already bankrupt replacing every single frontend suspension component I could find (which does nothing for me---I don't AutoX and the car handled just fine BEFORE I dropped three grand into it)... I need to know what I need, best guesses, preferably knowledgeable ones. If any of you have a doner car with some of this crap in it, I'll definately fork out cash if I can get it cheaper then GM and the local junkyards, both of which want a goddamn fortune per part.

Thanks ladies and gentlemen.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:10 PM

Its screwed, go to MI and buy Rob's IROC like I told you too
Old 05-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Asshat. :P

Any non-jeremy's care to respond?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by KnightRider350
Asshat. :P

Any non-jeremy's care to respond?
Here's a non-Jeremy. Ha just the guy you was looking for

I was thinking about this after you mentioned it to me last week. Here is what's wrong....you beat the **** out of that car daily and need to just drop the mother off a cliff

Seriously though, I don't know what to tell you. I do know your Wisconsin mechanics blow ****. Could easily be the steering box. Perhaps even a bent wheel? Ah what do I know?

PS. It could also be the driver
Old 05-04-2004, 07:09 PM

Corey, as always, I hate you. :P
Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 PM

So you spent all that money on steering components and never checked the wheel bearings.......oops. Sounds to me like you either have too much drag in the pass. side wheel bearings or maybe the right caliper is dragging.

Jack up the front of the car and spin the wheels by hand. If they slow down at about the same rate, your problem lies elsewhere. If one slows down faster than the other it's dragging. Take the wheels off and see if the rotors have any in-out play. If so replace the bearings. If not, spin the rotors by hand to see if one is harder to turn than the other. Take the calipers off and see if the problem persists. If the same one still drags, replace the bearings. If it stops dragging, replace the rubber brake hoses and rebuild/replace the calipers.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:07 PM

Thanks much for the help. Its suppose to have new wheel bearings... *sigh* I just hate this entire problem. I wanted to spend all that money on performance at this point...I could give a damn about suspension stuff. :P (yes, that's right, eat me corey)
Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by KnightRider350
I could give a damn about suspension stuff. :P (yes, that's right, eat me corey)
One word for you Brant: Dirty *****!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Anyone know if there's a way I can set this up so Corey physically CANT reply to my posts?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 PM

I heard our cars like to crack around the steering box and frame,etc. Check the area for cracks.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:12 PM

What the hell do I do if its cracked?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:26 PM

****** the steering box out and weld the cracks up. Then weld a plate over the whole area to strengthen it up.

As to the Corey issue: My only advice is to break all his fingers.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

Have you brought it to a body shop to check for frame straightness yet?
Old 05-05-2004, 01:53 PM

No, I haven't yet. Do you know where there's one in madison, and how much it would cost? I'm going to shoot myself if the frame's bent. All those mods....
Old 05-05-2004, 04:18 PM

things that come to mind

bent chassis

torn around the steering box like sugested

or is it possible that the actual steering wheel is out of alignment? This falls under sections of a car i dont know jack **** about but isnt it possible so the steering wheel just isnt positioned right so when youre holding it straight its actually pointed a little to the right?

Quick Reply: Steering Issues