3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Stupid 700-R4 kickdown cable!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 08:18 PM

Angry Stupid 700-R4 kickdown cable!!!!!!!!

I know how to adjust the stupid thing, Ive looked into this extensively. But I cant push that stupid button down. I guess it probably hasnt been pushed since 1986 when it rolled out of the factory. I even went at it with a screwdriver for 15 minutes the other day to try to get some extra leverage. I can get the thing to start to move but it wont go all the way down. I assume when I get it to push down it will stick then when I roll the thrttle to adjust it properly it will pop back up after the "clicks" I read about every time I see how to adjust it.

Luckaly I have an adjustable linkage braket so Ive moved it to where its more correct than it was before. It was so off for a while I couldnt get the car to break 45mph. I could nail the gas all I wanted all it would do is rev the engine way up.

Any theories on how to deal with it. I hate to just get a new one because they are a pain in the *** to hook back up to the tranny without dropping it.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:15 PM

WD-40
Old 04-15-2003, 10:14 PM

its a throttle valve cable
Old 04-15-2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by stevem
its a throttle valve cable
Yea I thought I read it called a TV cable but its been about 2 weeks since Ive read about it and I thought maybe I was making TV up. I knew people would know what I was talking about if I said kickdown.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

I'd go get some PB Blaster and see if that loosens it. If not, you might have to get a new cable.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:11 AM

The tab you're pushing on will not stay in the down position when you push on it as your thinking it should. It does not move very much to begin with. Push down on the release button and with your other hand, grab the black plastic sleeve the t.v. cable rests in and push it back towards the firewall, depending where it's at, it will move about a inch or less. Then go inside the car and make sure you don't have your floor mat under the accel pedal and mash down on the pedal. You will hear anywhere from 2-5 clicks. If you adjust it at the throttle body there is a chance you won't be adjusted properly for the throttle valve to work correctly. Sometimes if you adjust it at the throttle body you hear an extra click or two after you mashed on the gas pedal, that puts your pressures out of spec with the way it should shift.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by jzajac1
The tab you're pushing on will not stay in the down position when you push on it as your thinking it should. It does not move very much to begin with. Push down on the release button and with your other hand, grab the black plastic sleeve the t.v. cable rests in and push it back towards the firewall, depending where it's at, it will move about a inch or less. Then go inside the car and make sure you don't have your floor mat under the accel pedal and mash down on the pedal. You will hear anywhere from 2-5 clicks. If you adjust it at the throttle body there is a chance you won't be adjusted properly for the throttle valve to work correctly. Sometimes if you adjust it at the throttle body you hear an extra click or two after you mashed on the gas pedal, that puts your pressures out of spec with the way it should shift.
Thanks, thats more helpful than any of the guides I read. Ill go home and do it later.