3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Suspention Advice Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 PM

Suspention Advice Needed!!!

Hey guys. Its been a while since I have driven my third gen, and now that I got the powertrain done, I am looking to upgrade my suspention big time.

It is a '88 Trans Am w/WS6 package..so it has the nice steering box, bigger sway bars, etc. For aftermarket, it has:

Sprint Single rate Springs (would like to keep those),
Rear KYB shocks, front Monroo sensatrack
Lakewood LCA
Spohn sperical rod end PHR
Spohn LCA Relocation brackets
Uritahne bushings/endlinks on both sway bars
Urithane tranny/torque arm mounts
Hotchkins SFC

I would like to seriously increase the cornering capability and stiffness of this car. I need advice on what front struts/rear shocks work the best (I might want something adjustable), and also what I should do for the front control arms (change bushings, look at aftermarket A-arms). What about that wonder bar? and last but not least, what TORQUE ARM should I look at getting? I have seen BMR and Sphon arms, both look ok. Not sure if I should get a "trans tailshaft mount" torque arm, or one that bolts on to the frame. I like the BRM arm that welds to the sfc, but not sure if it would work with my hotchkins sfc. I like Sphon, but I have a th350 in the car now, but that might change, and their arms come tranny specific.

Also, who makes the strut tower brace for a carburated third gen? Edelbrock? Anyone else?

I think my car has the biggets sway bars available from factory. Is there any serious upgrades available, something one could "feel".

Tell me what you think I should get, because I have been out of the loop so long, I don't know what is available anymore, or nothing about what is new. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 AM

Re: Suspention Advice Needed!!!

well i love my air ride but after all the things i've changed and driven the only thing that can even compare would be a set of eibach pro-kit springs and bilstein hd's.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by kandied91z
well i love my air ride but after all the things i've changed and driven the only thing that can even compare would be a set of eibach pro-kit springs and bilstein hd's.
I ordered Koni Yellow adj. struts today for the front, gonna keep the KYBs in the rear until spring, then will go with either Koni yellows or HAL for the rear.

I also ordered an Edelbrock STB for my carburated application (only one that I could find that makes one).

Still undecided on the torque arm, I am leaning towards the spohn one, but maybe BMR. Need more input from you guys!

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:37 PM

buy the edlebrock...i hear it's nice.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

Ha.. good luck w/ that one! We have the ONLY freaking year Camaro/Firebird the IAS's aren't available! Doesn't that just **** you off?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:52 PM

I like the price on the edelbrock one, but I really would like one that does not attach to the tranny itself.

I am still gonna think about it.

Is there any major advantage/dissadvantage of the torq arms that attach to the tailshaft(stock, Edelbrock) vs. those that attach to the body (BMR, Spohn)?
I know BMR and Spohn both make the tailshaft style torq arms, but the seem to be entry level.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:43 AM

Get the torque arm that mounts to the trans crossmount not the one that mounts to the trans itself.
You didn't mention subframe connectors or roll gage. These will stiffen up the chase a lot. Also a couple of companies make Heim joint links for the sway bars, illiminates the rubber or poly bushing.
Dropped spindles are available for third gens. So you can lower the front without loosing any suspension travel.
If you lower or have lowered the front you may want to look at a bump steer kit.
I personally don't mind the solid engine and trans mounts, but lots don't like them.
Ground Control makes some nice suspension stuff, like adjustable spring mounts and upper strut bearing for greater camber adjustment.
If you want to go all solid, get the Delalum(sic), aluminum, bushing for the lower "A" arms.
I like Moog for tie rod ends, relay rod, etc. Also there's a solid center adjustable link for the tie rod ends.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:58 AM

Definately get a wonder bar, helps a ton...As for a TQ arm, get one that mounts to the Tunnel...A lot better as it doesn't try to lift the rear of the trans on hard accel. Check out what sway bars Spohn has...They've got some pretty big ones. If you're hardcore into the Road Racing you may want to go to Spherical ended adj. LCA's from Spohn, as it'll give you that little bit extra in adjustability. Rear Coil overs by Autofab will help with weight jacking since they use adjustable QA1's. Aside from that try to find a Coil over kit for the front...I believe the PAR? K-member would be a good Idea, with their control arms and a coil-over set-up...Just a few Ideas. But if you want to keep the Modified Mac. Strut set-up still get the K-member, just get the appropriate control arms. That's my $.02.

Chris
Old 10-15-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by crash4cyl
Definately get a wonder bar, helps a ton...As for a TQ arm, get one that mounts to the Tunnel...A lot better as it doesn't try to lift the rear of the trans on hard accel.
Thanks. I am going to decide between the Spohn arm or the BMR, and then gonna order with with the wonder bar from either of them.

I am eventually gonna go with a new k-member and a-arms, but not sure if I'll go coilover or not. Not sure what the advantages/dissadvantages are.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:27 PM

drop spindles are no longer available for our cars....they were made by belltech and are discontinued. personally it seems like your picking products by name rather then what would work for your application.

DO NOT buy the edlebrock torque arm as they aren't made well. do a search and you'll find out why. the coilovers are a great idea for drag racing....but need some work to be really good for the street. not that there are issues, however it takes some playing with the settings and spring rates to get a perfect ride.

many have claimed that the wonderbars don't do that much from company to company. save yourself the money and just get one from a yard for $10. the spohn TQ are favored by everyone....they are pricey but seem to be worth it. bmr is also nice for the price however.

you ask what the advantages/dissadvantages are of the k-member setups. well they are lighter, they give more room and with coilover option they add much more adjustment. the disadvantages are they are expensive and with the coilover option you "can" loose wheel space. this depends on the size strut and sleeve you run however. the nicer setups are 3" od and will cost you 1" in wheel width space if that's important to you.

all in all the k-member and a-arms are a nice addition as a final adjustment if your keeping stock dimensions. if you want coilovers up front it's the only way. i would just keep the 1-le spec sway bars, get a gm wonder bar. spohn lca's, panhard and tq arm and then decide your own feeling on your bushings. suspension is obviously very important but you have to be honest with what you plan to do with it. a few wrong choices can make the difference between a fun car to drive and a nightmare..
Old 10-15-2004, 06:23 PM

I want a fun car to drive, but something that will in turn be compliant at the track.

I don't think the coilover suspention is for me, I like the way my car is, and I am sure the Koni Yellows along with the front strut tower brace I just got will aid that. The K-member will be a possibilty after christmas, I think I would just go with bushed end chrome molly setup with spring pertches to retain the stock style setup.

I have been leaning towards the spohn torque arm, just gotta e-mail them and ask if the 700 arm will still work with a th350 using the B&M th350 install kit adapter I already have. Because my th700 is gonna go in sooner or later. For now, the th350 is fresh and working well. The 700 is new, unused, and gonna wait a bit.

The car is to be fun, but still stocking appearing and nice to drive. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:51 AM

hey if you wanna see my set up, I have tubular pro-fab k member, and a arms. I decided against the coilsovers too. I wasn't convinced about the where the weight of the car was gonna be sitting on. Anyways, I am not done with the car by a long shot, but you can still check out what I have so far, lemme know what you think. She should be done by Jan.

http://members.cardomain.com/dennisbernal91z
Old 03-31-2005, 01:44 PM

That is a nice car man, done well. I have done all the work myself on mine except the bodywork. The car is almost done, hoping to get it back asap. I just ordered a ford 9" diff and am waiting to order a few more suspention parts.

I have worked almost every day this winter away form home, so I decided to farm out the bodywork. Thanks for the info and your site, looks good!