3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Tapping sound from the valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by IROC-T
That could just be your injectors clicking. Buy yourself a cheap stethoscope at the auto store ,works better than a screw driver or hammer handle.
What would make the injectors click? If it is that what should I do to fix it? Just replace the injector?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:41 PM

it ticks whenever the injector pulses (spits fuel). its normal,dont worry about it. to make sure that it is the problem,put ur finger on the injector,if u can feel it the same time the noise is made,than thats it.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Rice Killer87
it ticks whenever the injector pulses (spits fuel). its normal,dont worry about it. to make sure that it is the problem,put ur finger on the injector,if u can feel it the same time the noise is made,than thats it.
I know its normal for a small sound but this is real loud. You can hear this over the flowmaster exhaust with the hood closed 50 feet away. Instead of me continually guessing what it is im just gonna pull the top of the engine off. I was also told it might be a lifter and that would cause me to basically be running 7 cylinders instead of all 8......Maybe thats why my friends stock 5.0 beat my 350
Old 04-13-2004, 08:27 PM

To me it sounds like an injector. It's NOT normal for them to tick loudly, they do tick a lil bit, but not that loud, go to your local Auto parts store and buy a 3M Injector Cleaning kit. Disconnect the fuel pump, and plug the cleaner into the fuel rail and run it through the system. If the problem continues, then you didnt have an injector problem, but hey, you eliminated a possibility and you have clean injectors. You cant loose.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Banned

Listen to all the injectors. Are they all ticking the same? Could it be an exhaust leak?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:39 PM

It could be low compression from what others here have said.My Z is having the same annoying loud ticking problem.I was thinking that my engine was/is about to die,compression is dropping, but it runs good still at 139k.I don't hear it at all when it's just idling but when I get it up to 40mph that's when it is noticeable/loud.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by WhiteKid
You can hear this over the flowmaster exhaust with the hood closed 50 feet away.

I was also told it might be a lifter and that would cause me to basically be running 7 cylinders instead of all 8.....

This is why we reccamended the Marvel Mystery Oil,if it is a lifter it might help free it up before you go tearing the engine apart. Something that loud is not you injectors ,but more than likely lifter,or rocker related. If it is that bad I don't think I would do to much driving ,and only at lower speeds until it is fixed. You could damage the motor big time.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Banned

ATF works to free up sticky lifters too. Check the plugs and see if one is different from the rest. They should look all the same.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by aklim
ATF works to free up sticky lifters too. Check the plugs and see if one is different from the rest. They should look all the same.
Changed them about 3 weeks ago and they looked the same. Ill pull them out today and see if there is any carbon build up on any of them and see if any are clean. I guess thats what I should look for?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Banned

If they looked the same then I doubt you will see any difference now but if you are goint to take the plugs out, maybe a compression test could be run at the same time? If a valve is not opening properly, it would show something on the plugs when you changed them.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:27 AM

Well I think i found out what was wrong. I pulled the intake manifold and the valve covers in my school parking lot and there is a big gapping hole in the rocker arm. A couple others are starting to show threw also. Are the push rods supposed to jiggle? Im gonna take some pics so you guys can see. Anything else I should check? Thanks alot guys....This forums a life saver.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Banned

The way to do the pushrod is to make sure the cam is not pushing it up and then you twist the pushrod and tighten the rocker. When you feel drag, turn it a quarter turn and stop. It should not be able to jiggle.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:28 AM

Heres the pics

Hope the url works
Old 04-14-2004, 02:23 PM

Whom ever ajusted thoughs rockers did not know what they were doing. They were way too tight,that is why they wore out,they are shot ,no good ,throw them away and get new rockers ,and you MAY need push rods also(check the length& tips). Now would be the perfect time to go with roller rockers.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by IROC-T
Whom ever ajusted thoughs rockers did not know what they were doing. They were way too tight,that is why they wore out,they are shot ,no good ,throw them away and get new rockers ,and you MAY need push rods also(check the length& tips). Now would be the perfect time to go with roller rockers.
Since everything is already off, im gonna order heads, intake, and custom comp cam. Im gonna redo all the pushrods and everything. The intake bolts were like hand tight. Im gonna go over everything and make sure theres nothing else half a**ed. Thats the only way i can imagine a valve going through the rocker is being torqued to tight, or even torqued at all.