3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

TBI guys in here please

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 06:25 PM

Question TBI guys in here please

My buddy is having a problem w/ his TBI camaro. First, an injector went out, so he replaced it. After he replaced it, it wouldn't start. The injectors are not squirting when he tries to start the engine. If he pours gas in there it fires right up and the injectors start squirting. What would make the injectors not squirt when your trying to start it but then all of a sudden they squirt after the engine is running? We can't figure it out Help!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:07 AM

I had a 88 pickup with a TBI so I know many of the problems,,

1. Is the pump in the tank runnning?
A. YES, then move on to 2.
B. NO, are you getting power on the lead going into the tank for the pump? check behind the rear seat, pull it out. one of them is the power lead to the pump. (there should be 4 wires) when you first put the key into the acc position the light will turn on for a few then turn off. that is to prime the line, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO LAY UNDER THE CAR DURING THIS AND HEAR IT. Check the fuel relay to pump if not running if your getting power but pump not working you need a new pump, no power at all? Then check fuses, relays, and broken wires.

2. Is the filter clogged?
A. remove the filter and put the key in the ACC position, is gas pouring out? if yes then move on, if no then go back to 1.
If yes, then replace filter.

3. What is your PSI?
A. Go to autozone and buy a 34.00 fuel pressure guage, and get the TBI adapter also. you should have more than 19lbs. I think ifg you have less than 19lbs. then your pump is not putting out enough gas. ie; I have a 97 chevy tahoe the in tank pump pumps around 65lbs. (and is the biggest in tank pump I have ever seen) it was only making around 40lbs of pressure. The truck would not start. I replaced the pump got a 65lbs. of pressure and the truck started right up. fi your under the loest number that the manual says then you need a new pump there is no close with the pump either you have enough, or the car won't run.

If you have other problems or questions, please contact me
Old 09-17-2002, 01:07 AM

We fixed it today. I noticed his dome light wasn't working so I checked his interior fuses. The one for his dome light was blown. I replaced it and the damn thing fired right up . I love easy fixes like that !