3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

TBI to TPI and a few other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 01:08 PM

TBI to TPI and a few other Q's

I'm running a 1989 Camaro RS..... I'm considering converting from TBI to TPI. Is this a good idea? Will there be a noticeable performance difference? What all is involved in making this change?

Also, I'm looking for some new weatherstripping. I've found it at places like Hawk's Third Gen, but to redo the whole car it would cost about $500 or more. Is there a more cost efficient way to replace all weatherstripping.

I'm also in need of some of the big plastic screws that go in the plastic in the back of the car, where can i get ahold of a few of these?

Another thing, I am having a few minor problems....
1) when the car is cold (only noticed it in the Winter) the car is a little difficult to start. I was thinking maybe the switch over to TPI would fix this...Yes? No?

2) My left turn signal won't turn off automatically after making a turn...I was thinking something just came lose, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any and all help....
Old 12-17-2002, 03:26 PM
Banned

Wait for the rebuild then get a 383 or 350 and go with Accel's Superram Kit and SLP 1 3/4 in headers.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Going from tbi to tpi nets a little hp gain and a big torque gain. The only problem is that you still have the crappy tbi heads and cam. While you have the manifold off I'd replace the stock cam with a $35 stock LT1 cam, it would work well with TPI's rpm range. With the TPI system it'll be easy to switch to an aftermarket tpi-type setup (Stealth Ram, Miniram, etc), too, if you plan to go big HP in the future. The reason I didnt do it was because for $500 I was able to get heads and a cam, and I didnt want to run stock heads on my car any longer.

For the weather stripping, check www.tacreationsusa.com , they have GM weather stripping at a really good price if I remember right.