3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Throttle Body Bypass: Brass fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 08:34 PM

Throttle Body Bypass: Brass fitting?

Hello,

This is regarding this mod being done to a 5.7V8 350 TPI on the 1992 Camaro Z28.

My understanding all you do it pop off the left side 5/8" tube (Heater control valve/converter), pop off the right side 5/8" (goes to intake water outlet) and put the two ends together..

Where exactly do you find this brass fitting (with 2 male ends)? What exactly is this piece called if I were to head over to the local home depot? Is it 5/8th?

I read on some places you can cap the male ends that you just popped the tubes off of.. Where do you get these caps and what are they called? (what would I ask for and can you get them also at the local home depot?).

I seen on some tutorials on this bypass people running the tube OVER the TPI funnel.. WHY would you do this? Why can't you just run it underneath where the tubes are anyways? The TPI funnel would hide the hose and the (cheap looking) bypass of the two hoses together would it not?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 09:19 PM

You could just connect the tubes where they are , the caps they are talking about are 2 rubber caps that go on the throttle body where you took the 2 hoses of so nothing can go in there. You could find the fitting at home depot, I bought mine there.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:43 PM

just get a hose and go from your intake manifold directly to your heater control valve thats what i did and i dint cover up my tbody ports either
Old 07-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Banned

Radiator hose coupling will work just fine. Auto parts store.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:43 AM

I'm been thinking.. Could someone please explain to me how this bypass is said to add approx 6 rwhp and a bit louder intake suction sound?

Yes, I realize that the main idea is so the HOT coolant is not being fed in the throttle body housing which in turn would mean the air sucking into in the intake would also be warmed up.

But if you start your car and drive in the morning for the first time that day, your coolant is not hot (has not warmed up) so wouldn't the first start of the day seem like it's bypassed since the coolant is NOT warm. And then when the car engine warms up the hot coolant bypass modification would be useful? and THAT is when the 6hp is thought to be added? And bypassing the throttle body, HOW can this increase the intake suction sound?

If this is my understanding, I would think you have the norm hp when you first start the engine for that day. You lose approx 6 rwhp when the coolant is hot and it feeding through the throttle body where the air entering the throttle body is warmed up as a result. The throttle body coolant bypass mod would only be adding BACK the rwhp you apparently lose when the coolant is heated in the throttle body? Would this not be the case which would mean this mod is NOT in fact adding any "EXTRA" rwhp but in fact replacing what you LOST when it was in the throttle body?

Thanks for your help. Just made me wondering after I sat down and thought about it for a second and read people saying it ADD's approx 6rwhp more..
Old 07-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Banned

Changing the intake sound would be quite a trick. A dog might be able to hear it but not you. I think that the 6 RWHP is probably a little bit too much. At the crank maybe.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:21 PM

this most be a dumb question but want to be sure before I try it on my car. no water is suppose to pass through to housing.

Last edited by joey_Z; 08-01-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by camarosource
I'm been thinking.. Could someone please explain to me how this bypass is said to add approx 6 rwhp and a bit louder intake suction sound?

Yes, I realize that the main idea is so the HOT coolant is not being fed in the throttle body housing which in turn would mean the air sucking into in the intake would also be warmed up.

But if you start your car and drive in the morning for the first time that day, your coolant is not hot (has not warmed up) so wouldn't the first start of the day seem like it's bypassed since the coolant is NOT warm. And then when the car engine warms up the hot coolant bypass modification would be useful? and THAT is when the 6hp is thought to be added? And bypassing the throttle body, HOW can this increase the intake suction sound?

If this is my understanding, I would think you have the norm hp when you first start the engine for that day. You lose approx 6 rwhp when the coolant is hot and it feeding through the throttle body where the air entering the throttle body is warmed up as a result. The throttle body coolant bypass mod would only be adding BACK the rwhp you apparently lose when the coolant is heated in the throttle body? Would this not be the case which would mean this mod is NOT in fact adding any "EXTRA" rwhp but in fact replacing what you LOST when it was in the throttle body?

Thanks for your help. Just made me wondering after I sat down and thought about it for a second and read people saying it ADD's approx 6rwhp more..
yup youre right....i really dont see how it could effect the noise it makes that just seems goofy. You also have to think though that while yes you are replacing hp that was already there a lot of money is dumped into things like that. For instance take a set of underdrive pulleys....said to add like 10-20 hp??? well really theyre not all theyre doing is freeing up hp that is already there and that is the idea.

The other thing i was thinking about is that this mod isnt as effective as you might think. When you are on the throttle a hot tb wont make much difference because the air goes past so quickly youd be lucky to get an extra 1 hp. Where i see this making a difference is on launches because if your sitting at a light and your butterflies are closed then the air there will be warming up so when you nail it the first air to come in will be warm. Otherwise the air just passes by too quickly for it to make much of a difference although with that said i plan to do the mod anyways on my car very soon because it doesnt hurt to have it. Dont expect much of a difference if any in the way the car feels after having done this.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joey_Z
this most be a dumb question but want to be sure before I try it on my car. no water is suppose to pass through to housing.
Currently hot water is set to go thru the TB housing to prevent a freeze up or something like that in extreme weather. No harm will come to you because your engine is already hot when running.