3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

TPI L98 goes kaputt!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 11:51 PM

Unhappy TPI L98 goes kaputt!!!!

It finally happened to me today...I have been treading on thin ice and finally fell through. My engine keeps bending the plug in a certain cylinder(3 of them) and it is detonating like crazy!!! Replaced the plug and took off in cruise mode (WOT detonates and screws plug up) When all of the sudden It hesitates and jumps like electrode is bent and it has a tapping noise coming from engine...I think I have a broke piston in there.....NOW fastforward a year from now..............I just bought a ZZ4 crate engine and I am wondering if my stock computer will treat it right???Or do I just go Carb and say hell with the TPI!!!

Later

------------------
1989 Formula 350
K&N air filter, air foil, TB Bypass, AFPR (set at 45 psi), A.I.R. yanked out, Accel 8mm wires, Fireball external coil, Pulley (just the crank), gutted MAF, corvette servo, Hooker super comp. shorties, 3" exhaust all the way back, No cats, Flowmaster 40 series muffler (one in one out turned down)---Developed a bad habit....bottle related!!!!75 Shot of Nitrous
http://www.theformulasource.com/owne...php?siteid=144

So they made him get rid of it...For decency ya know....But it came back the next day...

My webpage:www.cardomain.com/id/1fastformula
Old 09-15-2002, 12:37 AM

Red face

For the sake of simplicity, and the need for maximum power, I'd just throw a GOOD intake and carb on that ZZ4 crate engine. Maybe something like an Air Gap dual plane intake from Edelbock and a 750HP carb from Demon or Holley. It will then make the claimed 355HP. If you stick a long runner TPI intake on a ZZ4 crate, it will kill most of the claimed horsepower down to around 300(basically a stock L98 with a cam and that's all it is really.)

All of your guages should still work right, wire the distributor, install a fuel pressure regulator an set it at 9 PSI for the carb, get a new upper radiator hose if you have to buy a throttle and kickdown cable from Lokar(nice stuff!!), and definately remember to wire up the fans to a switch(it can be done while still using the stock relays if you wire it correctly!!). Goodluck man!!

PS! Hood clearance MAY be an issue if you play our cards wrong. I used a Performer intake and a Holley 600 carb and a stock TBI air cleaner and it touches the hood...not bad but I need to figure something out if I want to install my NX plate now...Maybe a cowl hood? or a lowr drop base on the air cleaner..I dunno

Will it kick ***!? Damn right it will , Then you could get a Stage 6 nitrous plate cnversion kit from NX like I did so you can enjoy nitrous on your new setup. A ZZ4 with a 100 shot sounds nice aye?

------------------
Denny Villemure
1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible, 305 TPI, 2.73 Gear, Flowmaster 2 chamber. 15.60 on motor, 14.20 on a 75 shot from NX. Woo hoo!
www.denny.cz28.com
Old 09-15-2002, 01:08 AM
Banned

Well, as I see in your sig about the 75 HP shot of gas, that would be what I eliminate. I have never trusted those things unless properly managed. When I had my 383 done by Lingenfelter's, I just happened to ask them about NO2 and they said that if I wanted to use it, I had to specify it before build and not after. I would have to go with a forged assembly (rods and crank) splayed block would not be necessary but good, compression would have to be lower than 10:8:1, etc. ERPOM would have to be tuned for it IMO. Way I see it, NO2 comes on at WOT. That automatically leans out the mixture and the ECM has no way of knowing that so I wonder if it would be able to respond by giving longer pulse width for the injector. Not sure about that part tho. Just supposition.

Anyway, I would stick on an Accel Superram Intake system. Not sure of what cam it has but I think the EPROM would work tho I would recommend that you get the EPROM looked into to optimize it. Once it is done, unless you do something serious like a set of better flowing intakes or heads, you shouldn't have to retweak it. I'd either have www.lingenfelter.com do it or www.fasterproms.com which is just as good, IMO. difference is the LPE wants the car there for a couple of weeks and fasterproms sends you a rough cut of the chip has has you do readings where they would fine tune it.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:20 PM

Yeah the TPI/ECM would work just fine on the ZZ4. The problem you are gonna run into is that the TPI setup on the ZZ4 motor is gonna revert you back to factory power ratings. aklim is correct, a ZZ4 is a "glorified" L98 with a carb and header setup to get those numbers. Put the TPI back on and you are gonna make somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 hp (IMO) and about 340 TQ. Sound familiar? Yep, thats right. A factory L98 made roughly those numbers.

So, either unorder that ZZ4 and rebuild your block or another block you find. You can make more power with the TPI setup and doing all the footwork yourself, I.E. buying heads, cam, etc. etc., than you will slapping the TPI back on a ZZ4.

I know for a fact that a .500 lift cam will work on factory programming. It needs a little tweaking as far as I have seen to run a 110* cam but its nothing too drastic.

My .02, Get a block, order heads, order all other parts, throw your TPI back on there with some gasket matching work and hae fun with 300ish hp.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:40 PM

RedIroc......I beleive it is more than a stock power ratings.Im running SLP simese runneres ,ported intake,and on street tires I leave at idle and floor it about 30 ft out,spinnig the whole way.I dont disagree at all that the TPI has hurt the motor for highter end HP.but has gained a lot of bottom end.Even with the runners etc I shift at just under 5K,best ET is a 13.700@102.07,and the MPH is in 4th/OD !best 60 ft on my launch method is a 2.10.If it would hook decent enough to get the SSM liftbars to tranfer and hit a 1.8 60 like it should with good tires I dont see 13.3x or thereabouts impossible.
Definatly better than stock power ratings,I would say mine is around 300-310 at the fly wheel,makes a great fun to drive street car.And it still has enough midrange breathing to run dead even with a 98SS from a 60 roll,where the LS1 really comes to life.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:25 PM

We all know that the"stock" TPi is a little restrictive above 5800 rpm, but the ZZ4 package is designed to make power under 6K rpm so it's a good swap for a TPi.
With a few mods like some large tube runners, ported; plenum and base intake, there should be "NO"-problem making the rated HP numbers mabe even slightly higher tq numbers.
(355 HP/405 lbft!!)
Remember the ZZ4 crate motor has the "D-Port" 58cc aluminum(Vette) heads, 275*/280*;208*/221*;.474"/.510";112* which should be fine with the stock ECM,w/ maybe a little fine tuning with the AFPR for WOT fuel needs...

I'm currently building my version of this motor with more attention to details to pump up low and mid lift flow. When I'm done I'm shooting for the 400+HP range and 420+lbft...
I'm using the ZZ4 cam&valve springs, porting everything,(.#.083heads) installing "Race-Flow" 1.94/1.5 valves,FlowTech shorty headers.
I believe the TPI has gooten a bad rap.
I'm going to make the stock parts prove to me they can't keep up with the flow before I replace them one by one. I also think the stock ECM is underrated, and when mated with properly sized fuel injectors for the task, will prove adequate.
Although we can't rev like our LT1/LS1 brothers(6500+), it's not neccessary bc of our large broad powerband, starting well below our brothers. If we approach our motors with their designed operating range in mind the results will shock many...

Last edited by 90rocz; 09-17-2002 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:27 PM

Wink

Well it is going to be at least a year when I can do this...But from what I read, my TPI (with proper mods...I LOVE my low end) will be able to produce what I want...Over 300 at flywheel with Gobs of torque....Could someone post their track numbers with the ZZ4 coupled with TPI induction????

Thanks Again everyone

Later