3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

TPI tunnin' ?????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 10:52 AM

Question TPI tunnin' ?????????????????????

I am rolling along here on my TPI build up, but I know I am going to have to tune the car eventually Any one else out there dealt with tunning a TPI before? I would think that it is basicly the same from car to car, but that really doesn't matter cause I have never done this before. Anyone know of any books out there that would greatly increase my knowledge about my computer system and information on the task of tunning? ALSO- from what I have got a reprogrammed chip just puts you in the ballpark, such as you dont just throw a chip in and your ready to go......true? The only person I have talked to on this matter had a 502 w/ a Holley stand alone fuel management system, so he didn't have much info on chips or diagnostics programs. ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:43 AM

Well, you have a Speed Density setup so tuning will be easy for you if you decide to do it yourself. All you need is a laptop and a cable to do the diagnostics. Burning chips is the easy part, learning what you need to change based on the diagnostic readings is the hard part.

Go to www.thirdgen.org and find the DIY PROM board. Read the intro articles.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:33 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

A reprogrammed chip is just that. Reprogrammed. What to, nobody really knows. A hypertech one supposedly turns the fan on earlier and advances a little of the timing. I have ordered custom ones that would either not work well or would trip a code. As such, there are only 3 people I feel are good. You being in MO, www.lingenfelter.com and www.hitechmotorsport.com are going to be a PITA for you. They need the car there. The last option I have used is www.fasterproms.com because they do it without the car being at their facility for a couple of weeks. They get the specs from you and burn it to those specs as best as they can. You get it and borrow the Diacom software and cable, install it on your laptop and get readings, email it to them and they send you another chip. Take more readings and they burn another till they get it right. Their service is not cheap considering they keep doing it till they dial it on the money. After that, it will run you $500. In the future when you do serious mods like change the heads, injector size, NO2, supercharger or cam and need it revised, it costs $150. The chip would not really need to be reburnt unless you do those mods because it is as close to correct as possible and dialed in to your car under running conditions.

I sent them cold start and idle readings, warm start and idle, WOT and cruise readings and they burnt it till it was on the money. If some company tells you they can burn it perfect the first time out, they would be following a template and just adding this and that and it would be a SWAG, IMO. Whoever you go with, make sure they are able to do corrections till it is right. My car runs all year round and so far, I have not had a problem with it because it is tuned to the mods I have made. All the way from 20 below to 100 above, my car runs perfectly.

You could burn it yourself but, you risk burning out the motor at the worst like a friend of mine with DFI or it just takes constant tweaking to get it right. Within a month, I was driving with the perfect custom chip with no down time. That was from the day I faxed my specs to the day the final chip was done.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:51 PM

anybody know where you can get the cable? my school gave me a really nice brand new laptop, and i'm sure i can get some free software somewhere, so i would just need the cable...
Old 09-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Banned

www.akmcables.com.

Diacom cables are propriatory. No one seems to have them for sale. Rinda technologies does not sell the cables to people who don't buy their software & cable package.

What software?