3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

tps voltage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:41 PM

Question tps voltage

hello everyone...
if the voltage to the tps sensor is bad how do i fix it?
is wha controls the voltage to it and how would i change it?
ive been battling a n idle issue for months now and this might be it.take care and any help would be great. Thanks again.
Dan Egger
Old 03-26-2003, 11:33 PM

Not trying to make you feel dumb, but I'll explain this from the start. With Ignition ON and Engine OFF (meaning the key is in the "run" posistion (just before starting).

Your TPS on your TPI intake is located on the passanger side of your throttle body. There are three wires that connect to it and the sensor itself is kinda in the shape of a " T ". There are two screws that attach the TPS to the throttle body. It takes a T-25 Torx bit to loosen the screws. Loosen the screws a little until you can move the TPS with slight drag. I'm 99% positive the blue wire is the wire you need to hook the red lead of a multi-meter to and check the voltage (black lead to a good ground). Watch the multi-meter while your moving the TPS up and down (the screw holes on the TPS are slotted so you can move it) and when you have the voltage at exactly 0.54 Volts, Lock the TPS down. Don't over-tighten the screws or you could break the TPS.

After you have the TPS correctly set, and while your multi-meter is still connected to the blue wire, check the voltage off of the TPS while the throttle is WIDE OPEN. It should read around 4.5-4.7 Volts. If at WOT (wide open throttle) the sensor does not read at least 4.5 volts... it will cause problems when you feel the need to smoke a 'stang.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:12 AM

Just to elaborate on what he said, you have to fiddle with the TPS a little to get both the .54 closed and >4.5 at WOT. That's why both bolt holes are slotted instead of just one.

But if you determine that you don't have sufficient voltage getting to the TPS, then you've got an entirely different issue. Off the top of my head I want to say that the ECM provides the power for the TPS. If I remember (not likely) I'll check my manual tonight.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:40 PM

thank you jim,
i knew how to adjust it out close enough and its not even a year old sensor...its the whole other issue that i was looking for...what voltage should be being feed to the sensor...
and how would i test it?
thanks for the help guys....
Dan
Old 03-27-2003, 10:24 PM

"A" terminal is a Black wire [5 Volt return (I assume this means ground?)]

"B" terminal is a DK Blue wire (Signal to ECM)

"C" terminal is Gray (5 Volt reference from ECM)
Old 03-28-2003, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up

thank you,
i started recently getting an error 21 code for a few minutes at a time when i run it hot...(with a hypertech chip),it gets as hot as 230 but never really higher when it does this sometimes around 180-90.the code says its high voltage to the tps...is it actually getting higher voltage or is it not set right?...i've never had that code..and ive been tuning that thing for the past few months....off and on.
thanks again,
Dan
Old 07-27-2004, 06:24 PM

Re: tps voltage

im getting the same code, car is not with me so i cannot test it the tps. My guess would be that its giving off more than 0.9V to the pcm at idle. The range is 0.3 to 0.9. When the TPS voltage at idle is in the correct range, it sets that voltage as 0%. If its outside of that range, then it cannot compensate.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:36 PM

Re: tps voltage

Originally Posted by med_reject
im getting the same code, car is not with me so i cannot test it the tps. My guess would be that its giving off more than 0.9V to the pcm at idle. The range is 0.3 to 0.9. When the TPS voltage at idle is in the correct range, it sets that voltage as 0%. If its outside of that range, then it cannot compensate.
faulty TPS, connections, loose screws, or something is pressing against it.