3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Truck or Keep The Iroc???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 06:01 PM

Truck or Keep The Iroc???

i'm in a huge dilemma that has been irritating the living sht out of me, and i don't know what to do...here is my cirumstance, i got a 86 camaro, its in good shape mechanically but it just needs a paint job...i'm 18 years old, heading off to college in less than a year, and i have 3500 bucks to spend on a car...this camaro has sat for a week, and I thouught i had my mind set on getting a truck, but i took it for a spin today, and i thought how would i live with out that thing...but the truck i want is a 97 ford ranger extended cab 4x4...i would put a 4 or 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift, some 35" tires and nice rims, and all of the other off road accessories....but i already bought a ss hood and lowering springs for my camaro that i haven't installed yet...but i dunno if i should just throw the lowering springs and hood on and give it a paint job then sell it for like 5g's then buy a truck, or if I should just take my time, do eveyrthing right and keep the car...the only thing that is making me think so hard about this is that i saved up for this 3500 for like 8 months now, and its very hard earned money, so i don't want to blow it on something, then be unsatisfied with my outcome...also when you have a camaro, the first question everybody asks is HOW FAST IS IT? and as you all know speed cost money, how fast can you afford to go...and i'm 18 and can't afford to go that fast, and if you got a truck, you won't get any of the question like that, everybody will just be like LETS GO MUDDIN, and me livin in the midwest we have mud almost all year around...what do you guys think i should do, keep the IROC, or get the truck??? by the way, i took my dad's truck muddin the other weekend, and thats prolly the funniest time i ever had in vehicle, on a road i'm always worried about a cop coming out somewhere and bustin me, but off road you do whatever you want...but then today i did a huge burnout, and its just a feeling you get that you want to keep the car that much more...
Old 10-19-2004, 06:28 PM

Now how can you even consider giving up something fun for something practical???

Consider my situation:

I support 5 on my income, two who are older than you and in college (one living at home, one in another state). The youngest has just turned 16. My wife stays at home and keeps it, as well as having educated all 3 of our children.

Our "fleet" is this:
My '57 Bel Air, which I've had since 1971
My wife's '90 Bonneville SSE - comfy, used for out-of-state travel
Oldest daughter's '91 Bonneville LE (the one living at home - she's very attached to this car) - it was rear-ended 4 years ago, put it back together enough to be functional, but it's still ugly - however, it gets better gas mileage and uses less oil than any other vehicle we own
Younger daughter's '92 Lumina (we picked it up from my brother 2 years ago for $500. She's going to school in WI)
My '82 Camaro, which I drive to work
An '84 Chevy full size van, used to haul the kids' horse around

All of these vehicles are paid for in full.

Our financial advisor tells us we spend too much on vehicles and need to consider reducing the fleet size. So, which would you choose?

The '57? Get real!
The ugly Bonneville? But it's the one that's the most economical.
The SSE? It's the most comfortable for visiting out-of-state relatives (happens several times a year).
The van? Only if the horse isn't around anymore. Like I'd be allowed back in the house if the horse is kicked out of the family.
The Lumina? And leave the out-of-state family member stranded in the dorm?

The Camaro is the one that makes the most sense to let go. Yet, every time I suggest that, the family says no, there's too much of me in it.

Welcome to the adult world of no-win choices.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:33 PM

Re: Truck or Keep The Iroc???

I'm in the same boat, I love my camaro (not all camaros just my camaro) and I really don't want to give it up. But I really want a truck to haul stuff around, but I cannot afford insurance on both. I'm debating how rational it would be to park the camaro for 9 months of the year and insure both cars for three, or if I could get away with parking it for six years or so and still have it in ok shape if I rustproffed the heck out of it.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:08 PM

i'm the kind of person that doesn't divide money into different vehicles...i go all out on one car...so its either all out on the camaro, or all out on a truck....i live in michigan, so we get a bunch of snow, and camaro's don't go too good in snow, they kinda get stuck, go figure...but i got my dads 97 f150 for this winter, but i don't know if i'll get it for next winter, and with a truck, i will never have to worry about putting a car away, then finding a beater to drive or soemthing...and like i said, i can't get over on how fun it was to go muddin, it was basically the first time i really got into some hardcore off raoding, and you could hardly tell the truck was red, words can't explain how fun it was...its hard to say, but the camaro might have to go...maybe i can talk my dad into buying it so then i'll have it forever...god life sucks with lose-lose situations...
Old 10-19-2004, 09:55 PM

Well it sucks to choose between one or the other. It seems to me though that you want the truck more. Its really up to you. It sounds like you would have more fun with the truck and it would be better suited for your area and weather. Not to mention its money is tight during college and insurance isnt great being young. Im in the same boat. You could always get another Camaro down the road if you sold it now. I would love a truck too but I could never give up my Z for it, so I just use my Z to haul parts

Last edited by splinter_cell; 10-19-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:09 AM

Ultimately its up to you! Nothing anyone can say can change your feelings but I can try and offer some advice for having both! If you really want the Camaro(the camaro you have now) keep it. If you dont mind eventually driving another camaro then buy the truck and get another camaro later! Now just remember, as the years go on, the harder it will be to get a camaro. It will be a lot easier to get a truck than the camaro. You have the rest of your life to get which one you dont choose. Really, just choose the one thats best for you now, or just go with the one that isnt the one you dont mind waiting for! I hope this helps you out in some way! GOOD LUCK with your decision!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:24 PM

rangers are junk.

i really hope u dont want to buy a 4 banger ranger to go muddin in,u may as well use a lifted big wheel w/ super swampers.

if your goin to college and need to haul things,the truck sounds like the right idea,even tho selling the 'roc is gonna kill u. if u have to,sell it as is,sell the springs and hood seperate (ull get more money for them that way) or save the parts, and buy another IROC when ur finished with college and get a decent job that will alow u to buy another,and just keep it off the road (no tags/insurance) until its nice and ready to drive.

just somethin to ponder,decisions like this always blow
Old 10-20-2004, 03:41 PM

no it wouldn't be a 4 banger...it would be a 4.0 6 cyclnder, they have decent amount of power, and i've been muddin in them before, and they seem to be alrigth, they have a lot of suspension options too...i was thinking maybe keeping the camaro, then taking out a loan from my parents or my grandma till next summer because i'm gonna get a factory job i hope, but if i don't i wouldn't be able to pay em back, so i don't wanna take that risk...im tryin to scrape up the guts to ask my dad to see if he would buy it off me, cause he is really excited to work on this car with me this winter cause this is what we have been planin for quite some time now...but i think i would rather put a suspension lift and body lift on a truck instead of preppin my car for paint and whatnot...you guys think i would get more money for the hood and springs seperate instead of on the car??? i think around where i live i would prolly come out even or maybe make a bit if i put them on the car...cause there is no camaro in town that has lowering springs or an aftermarket hood, they are all pretty much stuck except for under the hood...
Old 10-20-2004, 08:49 PM

I just had an idea today. I can get an older truck and register it as a classic vehicle and just use it when I need to haul stuff or drive in snow. Then insurance should only be a few hundred a year
Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 PM

i just dropped a few of my buddy's off in my highschool parking lot, its 9:00 at night here, and i just whipped one huge donut and did a few break torques...HOW AM I GONNA EVER BE ABLE TO GET RID OF THIS THING!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:27 PM

perhaps a 4x4 camaro haha, you got a tough decision man. see if you dad will take it.