3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Upgrading rear-end

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 07:28 PM

lol good call....and worst case cenario just have the maro with the 427 waiting somewhere running so just encase you have to get out of there in a hurry you can....think that over 600 ponies should get you out of there in quite a hurry if i do say so myself. How you can afford this crap at what 20? is also one of the many things on this planet that are beyond me. However youre making the money id be willing to bet its not legit but hey moneys money.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:29 PM

Hehe 4.88s, someone doesn't care that premium is like 1.95 a gallon.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by StealthElephant
Hehe 4.88s, someone doesn't care that premium is like 1.95 a gallon.
his 427 is a dedicated drag car so it doesnt matter....wow the fact that i know that shows i spend way too much time on here!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by doug791
lol good call....and worst case cenario just have the maro with the 427 waiting somewhere running so just encase you have to get out of there in a hurry you can....think that over 600 ponies should get you out of there in quite a hurry if i do say so myself. How you can afford this crap at what 20? is also one of the many things on this planet that are beyond me. However youre making the money id be willing to bet its not legit but hey moneys money.
If I had my Z around the corner for a quick espacpe that would be when my 10 bolt would come apart on me, and I would get nailed anyway.

I afford stuff by being patient. Just set my sight on one thing at a time and go for it. Working part time at my age you cant have pipe dreams of getting the whole motor donne at once. I used to use my net checks from left over college scholarships to buy my expensive things but I lost my big one so I'm kinda struggling now I havent bought much lately. Ive got my 400 block sitting around right now. I need to get $1700 together for my rotating assebmbly, another 500-800 for machine work to the block, and another $1k for heads. Ive got my work cut out for me. Maybe If I pull out some good grades I can con my dad out of it. He was supposed to buy me a second gen if I got straight A's but I may just have him finance my motor. I dont know though Ive always wanted a 2nd gen T/A.

Ive been building around it lately buying things like my race pump for fuel, and Ive been stripping out the interior. The heater core was a pain in the *** by the way

And in response to the gas milage, I dont drive mine anymore. Its being turned into a trailer queen. Im putting in like a 10 gallon fuel cell I think next. I can afford that now
Old 09-29-2003, 08:07 PM

ooo when i was buying my car a couple months ago i had my sights set on a beautiful 1981 t/a i love the late second gen birds they look AMAZING.....but really i would stay away for now just because if you have a whole nother f-bod to keep running youll never get the current project done. Youve got plenty of time left man just keep it as a dream for now and lets see the results of the crazy third gen your building!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by doug791
ooo when i was buying my car a couple months ago i had my sights set on a beautiful 1981 t/a i love the late second gen birds they look AMAZING.....but really i would stay away for now just because if you have a whole nother f-bod to keep running youll never get the current project done. Youve got plenty of time left man just keep it as a dream for now and lets see the results of the crazy third gen your building!!!
Gotta watch those post 1980 2nd gens you might get shafted with a 267

I think I might take your advice cause theres no way he would pay for the 2nd gen I want anyway (1973 455 SD T/A )

Im starting to doubt my motor plans though. I go back and fourth all the time. I need to hurry up and buy my crank and all so there no going back, and I wont want to switch plans anymore.

Last edited by DarthIROC; 09-29-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:41 PM
85_LG4

4:88's?
Whoooa nelllly.. somebody is plannin' on spinning the **** outta their tires all day long.. lol

DID YOU SAY A '73 T/A 455 S/D!?!?
THAT IS "THE" CAR OF MY DREAMS AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As well as a 71-ish Cuda 440+6
Matt

Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
Gotta watch those post 1980 2nd gens you might get shafted with a 267

I think I might take your advice cause theres no way he would pay for the 2nd gen I want anyway (1973 455 SD T/A )

Im starting to doubt my motor plans though. I go back and fourth all the time. I need to hurry up and buy my crank and all so there no going back, and I wont want to switch plans anymore.
ewwww a 267?!?!? then even 5.0 stangs could make fun of me!!! and thatd be no good

and dont give up on the 427 man think how sick its going to be first time you open her up down the track. Anytime you feel like giving up on it just send me a pm and ill talk you out of it!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by 85_LG4
4:88's?
Whoooa nelllly.. somebody is plannin' on spinning the **** outta their tires all day long.. lol

DID YOU SAY A '73 T/A 455 S/D!?!?
THAT IS "THE" CAR OF MY DREAMS AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As well as a 71-ish Cuda 440+6
Matt
Yup, I want mine pearl white with a big blue pheonix on the front. And I figure with slicks, and some suspension mods on a well prepped track it shouldnt spin.

And about changing plans, I stick to the original plan pretty much, but a 421 I think would require much less machine work to do. And actually if i did the 427 I would probbaly make it 4.155 bore to 434 but 427 just sounds cool. But then I think if I decide to knock it down to 421 to save machine work, how much are the extra 15 inches really worht when I could make a 406 just as easy.

The only thing dont like with my current plan is a 400 block cant take much nitrous. I often think maybe i should just go with a small big block like 396/402 with like a 3 stage 300/400/400 nitrous kit. But then again I think 10 sec n/a slips with the 400 block will be cool

If you want to stump the 5.0 ford guys go get a 69 Z/28 with a 302 and show em what a real 302 will do
Old 09-30-2003, 10:58 AM
85_LG4

No, No, it's gotta be a Black Tranny, and it has deff. got to have the Birdy on it!
If you want to stump the 5.0 ford guys go get a 69 Z/28 with a 302 and show em what a real 302 will do
HELLZ YES! Agreed on that one!
Matt

Old 09-30-2003, 07:24 PM

I would second the reccomendation to find a 9 bolt. much stronger than your stock 7.5" 10-bolt, but parts are a birt more expensive. If you go 9-bolt try to find one from a 1989 car with the PBR brakes and 3.27 gears. Check out the non-tech forum on www.nethirdgen.org...a guy named Macgyver is selling one cheap.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Nomar
I would second the reccomendation to find a 9 bolt. much stronger than your stock 7.5" 10-bolt, but parts are a birt more expensive. If you go 9-bolt try to find one from a 1989 car with the PBR brakes and 3.27 gears. Check out the non-tech forum on www.nethirdgen.org...a guy named Macgyver is selling one cheap.
omg should i even bother with this one(in retrospect im going to say something stupid but)...oh well i will....FIRST of all J knows what hes doing no one was reccomending anything...second of all im fairly certain he ment a 9 inch? (ford) because as far as i understand if you think a 9 bolt has a hope in hell of standing up to 600+ pound foot youre crazy....he did say 9" so yeah or the equivalent being a moser 12....a 9 bolt is stronger then a 10 but not that strong....and the gearing he already said he wants what 4.88?? so the gears dont matter anyways...and....
Old 10-01-2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
If I had my Z around the corner for a quick espacpe that would be when my 10 bolt would come apart on me, and I would get nailed anyway.

I afford stuff by being patient. Just set my sight on one thing at a time and go for it. Working part time at my age you cant have pipe dreams of getting the whole motor donne at once. I used to use my net checks from left over college scholarships to buy my expensive things but I lost my big one so I'm kinda struggling now I havent bought much lately. Ive got my 400 block sitting around right now. I need to get $1700 together for my rotating assebmbly, another 500-800 for machine work to the block, and another $1k for heads. Ive got my work cut out for me. Maybe If I pull out some good grades I can con my dad out of it. He was supposed to buy me a second gen if I got straight A's but I may just have him finance my motor. I dont know though Ive always wanted a 2nd gen T/A.

Ive been building around it lately buying things like my race pump for fuel, and Ive been stripping out the interior. The heater core was a pain in the *** by the way

And in response to the gas milage, I dont drive mine anymore. Its being turned into a trailer queen. Im putting in like a 10 gallon fuel cell I think next. I can afford that now
If only it were that cheap to make over 600 foot pounds of torque my friend. If you want to pull those kinds of numbers with out a "nitrous bomb" engine, 2000 bucks for a rear end should be peanuts in comparison to the whole project.

I will offer my personal experience that once any 6,7 or 8 hundred horse car is attempted, there is no such thing as stock parts. And if you are saving up for a 421 rotating assembly you had better save more than 1700 bucks for the rotating assembly, and a lot more than 1000 bucks for the heads to feed the thing to that power level N/A.

I am not cutting down your plans to be rude, but to hopefully make you see what it truly takes to turn your roc in to the car you are hoping for.

Later,

Martin
Old 10-01-2003, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Blownyellow
If only it were that cheap to make over 600 foot pounds of torque my friend. If you want to pull those kinds of numbers with out a "nitrous bomb" engine, 2000 bucks for a rear end should be peanuts in comparison to the whole project.

I will offer my personal experience that once any 6,7 or 8 hundred horse car is attempted, there is no such thing as stock parts. And if you are saving up for a 421 rotating assembly you had better save more than 1700 bucks for the rotating assembly, and a lot more than 1000 bucks for the heads to feed the thing to that power level N/A.

I am not cutting down your plans to be rude, but to hopefully make you see what it truly takes to turn your roc in to the car you are hoping for.

Later,

Martin
First of all I'll state it wont be totally N/A, I will run between 125-200 nitrous shot.

I've looked at alot of plans for motors built similar to what I plan on building. Most have been in the low to mid 10 range, which is about where I wanna be. The 600 ft/lbs number was just a number I threw out there. Give or take a little

The rotating assembly I was looking at for I think $1799 comes with full float eagle 6" 3D rods, Ross forged pistons. Several brand chioces of rings. and a generic 4340 crank. Ill probbaly upgrade the crank to an actual name for like $400 more to SCAT or something. That way its gauranteed to a certain Hp level.

Heads I havent totally decided on yet, alot of the advanecd tech guys pointed me towards WP MoTown 220s to acheive the power levels I wanted to. But lately Im leaning towards aluminum. So Im looking at some Dart Race heads, or Canfield Heads for around $1000-1300.

And thats really vauge, as far as an entire build-up goes with new race carb, intake, suspension, safety equip. Your right then 2k for a rear end doesnt seem That bad but I dont have to be happy about it. The research Ive done shows that I will get the ET's and power numbers I want with this. If you dont think so, thats your opinion. When I get it done we will see who is right
Old 10-01-2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Blownyellow
and a lot more than 1000 bucks for the heads to feed the thing to that power level N/A.
Ummm not necessarily....i know a place around me where i could take a cheap set of heads and have the ported so they would out flow any cnc'd head as it comes from the company. Porting is everything.

Also darth what sort of class do you plan on running in? N/A you should be okay but my friends dad runs 9.7's with a turbo but its a street class so street tires and all....and in the street class hes the fastest. Would seem like a shame if you ended up running in a class like that and couldnt be on the top with all the money youre throwing in....If theres a slightly lower class (ie not forced induction, not sure if nitrous would put you in that class???) you should be fine. Also dont forget the little things the guy who run's 9.7's gets 35 dyno proven hp from his oil pan over the stock one. I'm sure you have all that up in your mind somewhere though and with some good tuning you should kick some serious as.s

Quick Reply: Upgrading rear-end