3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

V6 - V8 Swap. Listen Up Boys

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 03:15 PM

V6 - V8 Swap. Listen Up Boys

OK! Finally. I have come across a Camaro, there is a complicated story inbetween that I will not go into, but the car will be infront of my yard by Sunday.

It's a 86' V6 Auto, yes yes I know. However I do not intend to leave such a horrid engine in such a beautiful car. I want to know what extras are included in doing a V8 change from a V6 engine bay. Costs, parts, ect. This would help me out a bunch!

It's red and I already have a good name for it, Hades. Help me make the dream come true. BTW I'd be purchasing a 350.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:21 PM

There are a bunch of threads about this and from what I read, it just isn't worth it. You need all kinds of stuff. Springs, harness, blah blah blah. Try a search.

-Rippin
Old 10-02-2003, 03:26 PM

theres a thread dedicated to this in the v6 forum
Old 10-02-2003, 04:53 PM

Rather than send you on endless searches...it's not REALLY all that bad if you have a complete donor car.

To swap from V6 to V8 you'll need everything under the hood, all the serpentine, etc. None of the V6 compnents will swap over, no wiring, not the alt, nothing.

Unless you have a carb car, in which case it's no big deal, you would have to swap out fuel pumps. If you got an EFI car, it's a pain in the butt. I've done it, but it took about 6 hours, and we were booking it.

The brakes should be the same, and the rear suspension the same, but the front springs and struts must be replaced. Which is really no big deal.

Of course, the V6 tranny is no good, and you also might want to consider a new rear. I'm not sure how well rated the V6 diffs are. I'm also unsure about the driveshaft...i THINK they are the same length for both cars, but i am not positive. Either way it's a $30 junkyeard part.

So to sum it all up, you need:

motor & all wiring (ECM if going with EFI)
V8 radiator and all tubing
V8 fan
V8 tranny
V8 fuel pump
V8 belt setup (alt, a/c, etc. Powersteer *SHOULD* be the same)
V8 front springs and struts

If you got a goo local junkyard it shouldn't be too hard to find parts. The cost should also not be too bad since most of the parts you'd get used, and others you'd have to get new for an engine swap anyway (i.e. waterpump, alt, etc.) All in all it's not a bad setup to swap.

...BUT...

have you considered toying with the V6? The 2.8 is a decent motor, if you want to rebuild it an go with a nitrious or forced incduction setup, you could get into the low 14s. Do a massive turbo setup and put some good gears behind, an even more! Then you can talk smack that you just beat a GTA 5.7L TPI with a *tiny* 2.8 Think of them bragging rights! Just another option. Of course the V8 swap is prolly a little more typical than the built V6.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:02 PM

as far as i know,the tranny should bolt up to both the V8 and V6. they didnt make seperate 700 R4's for the 2.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:20 PM

im pretty sure the rear diffs are the same as well

you sould just throw in a 3.4 long block and all the other 2.8 parts swap over. then youll have a pretty light pretty powerful car.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 PM

yeah, the V6 and V8 700R4 will bolt up, but the V6 is rated for a significantl;y lower HP...so it's basically not the same tranny even though it bolts up.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:09 AM

The V6 transmission absolutely will NOT bolt up. The 2.8 uses a 60* block, and the V8s are all 90* blocks. As a result, the bellhousings are different on the transmissions.

If it had a 5 speed you could use the V6 transmission with a V6 clutch and V8 pressure plate, but you'd smoke it in a matter of miles.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:23 PM

Jim- I used to think that but I got shouted into the ground by guys who have allegedly done the swap and they all said the bolt pattern and bellhousing was the same between the V6 and V8 trannys.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:37 PM

Damon.....since when do people tell the truth online?

The bellhousing pattern IS different. The V6 trans will NOT bolt up to a V8, unless the V6 is a 4.3 (which never came in a 3rd gen anyway so it's a null point.)

The 60* V6 block is narrower than a V8 block, and consequently the bellhousing is narrower to match. The V6 also uses a smaller torque converter, smaller flywheel, different starter, etc. NOTHING will swap over. Period.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:20 AM

Thats all fine then, I'm gonna gut the engine and the interior completely, then work with a body and go from there.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:35 AM

I'm with Jim85IROC and TheGreatJ on this. The only V6 bellhousing that will bolt onto a V8 engine is a 4.3 litre, and that is a 90* engine. As far as the V6 transmissions, I was under the impression that V6's had the 200-4R automatic transmission , which is slightly longer and lower-geared than the 700R4.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:33 PM

sell the car and buy a v8
it will save you lots of time
Old 10-04-2003, 03:30 PM

The differentials are the same thing. The V6 isn't goint to have a posi though.

The tanny will not bolt up. PERIOD.

You can use the V6 struts and springs. Many people swap V6 springs and struts into the the front of their cars for better weight transfer. Even big blocks. Blow off any one who tells you the V8 is to heavy for them, they are speaking out their a$$.

The V6 in an '86 should have an electric fan that will work just fine with a V8. Probably the same part number as the V8 single fan.

The radiator is the same size for a V6 as the standard radiator for the V8. If you are getting crazy with compression you should probably go for a bigger one. You can't hurt anything by having a better one, but your current one will work.

The 2.8 is JUNK. Not a bad engine to drive around as a commuter, but DO NOT waste your time modifying it, similar to pissing in the wind. I have a friend who spent a lot of money building a 2.8, ported heads, bigger cam, roller rockers, more compression, etc. He still couldn't beat a stock LO3.

The only TH2004R application in thirdgens was in '87 TTA's. All '82s had TH200Cs and they were used with V6's until '84 I believe. From '85 on all F bodies used either a TH700R4 or T5 (TTA the exception).

The driveshafts are the same length. GM keeps the tranny engine centerline in the same place on their vehicles regardless of engine/tranny combo. A V8 and V6 tranny are the same length the only difference is bell housing bolt pattern, and interior strength.

Martin
Old 10-04-2003, 07:29 PM

To be honest, I think the v6-v8 swap is a really fun thing to do. We just got through swapping a 305 in my 87. Although it's lots and lots of work (my car was out of action for about 6 months), you'll have a feeling of accomplishment that very few other things can give you. If I had listened to everyone else, I would have just spent the 1500 on a new 2.8 and put it in, but I still would have been wishing that it was a v8. The best thing to do is search for a part car. It does not have to be a camaro or a firebird, any small block chevy will fit into the camaro. We got mine out of a 77 caprice classic station wagon. It's alot of work, but I think it's well worth the time.

Quick Reply: V6 - V8 Swap. Listen Up Boys