3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Vortec 350 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:18 PM

Vortec 350 swap

I blew out the 305 that I had in my 89 Firebird. I got a 97 Vortec 350 from a friend with computer and wire harness. I found where all the wires on the engine go, but I still have tons of plugs left over. I don't know where they all go, I figure to emissions control. Does anyone know where I can find a wire scamatic for this harness? I believe that this engine came out of a 97 Chevy Suburban. Any help on getting this thing running would be great. My Uncle said something about I may be able to find a harness for this engine that will go into The firebird. He says he knows that they make one for Jeeps. Does this exist?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:20 PM

Trans

Also i was wondering if I'll be able to use the stock Trans. If not what transmission should I get for it?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:43 PM

my best suggestion would be go to g.m. and buy a shop manual for a 97 whatever. that way you get ALL the info you need (and a lot you don't).

i did this with a 94 lt1 and my 88 conquest. trust me, it will cost about 75 bucks, but worth every penny. that way you not only know the wire "designation" but can also see where it goes, and how it connects. it helped me figure out a lot of stuff. like the "tcc control" wire needs to be grounded for the torque conv to lock up. or what amp all of the power wires need to be fused at.

really, it will save so much trouble to have the real shop manual, not those haynes or chilton p.o.s.es.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:09 AM

You can also get the shop manuals from helminc.com and probably a lot less then dealer price too.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Moving to 3rd Gen Tech.....
Old 09-25-2003, 12:37 PM

I used a 97' vortec shortblock for my engine buildup....Whatever you do...dont try to bolt that thing up to a T56!!! I did so, unknowingly and when I got engine running and tuned in and was gonna take a test drive, I pushed the clutch in to put car in reverse and GRRRRRRR...grinding noise from clutch assembly.... those vortec block's crankshaft "hub" that the flywheel bolts up to, sticks about 1/3 of an inch farther back towards the tranny than an L98 or LT1. Doesnt sound like much but it makes the clutch fork hit the corner of pressure plate and will not let the trans engage... ...I had to have my flywheel machined on the back side of mounting surface, so that it would come back towards the motor some and have my cluth fork machined so that it would clear pressure plate....HEED THIS WARNING!!!!! I was told that the block was the same as any late model F-body block, and they are not!!!!! What kind of intake are you running on motor???? I ditched the vortec intake and the heads were already shot. Went back with a converted LT1 intake and Dart iron eagle's!!! I had to have a special harness from Street and Performance in my car as I went from a TBI to TPI back in 98' and the converted intake will take your same sensors and TB, if you thinking of EFI options....