3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Wanna blow a very little bit of cash on something fun and useless

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:11 PM

Wanna blow a very little bit of cash on something fun and useless

Ok, so I really have no reason to do this other than I feel like it. I've got around $100 to blow on some random part for my totally stock IROC-Z (89 conv. 305 Auto). Dont worry about installation, I've got that covered, that's free.

I want something for HP. I realize that for $100, I wont get much, and that's fine, I just feel like throwing a little something in. What would you guys suggest?

-Damen

edit: if I could come up with 5 hp from this, I would be ecstatic.

Last edited by Damen; 06-16-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:33 PM

how about some stickers and some neons? nah, but seriously theres not too much you can do with $100. you can look on ebay and maybe get some used parts. i picked up a set of underdrive pulleys for only $60 and then another $10 for the belt and i could notice a small hp gain. if your on a budget id def. try ebay.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:41 PM

It's not so much that I'm on a budget as the car needs other stuff. I gotta replace the convertible top (mucho $$$) and put new shocks on it (thank you very much mom) and get the front bumper cover replaced along with some other body work (again, thank you mom). SO, I wont get to do any nice performance upgrades for a little while, but I figure I can spare $100 at least, and I'd like to do SOMETHING. Air filter? Pullies? I'd do the free ram-air mod while I'm at it, but since the front bumper cover is gonna get replaced completely anyway, I dont want to touch it just to have to rip it apart again next month.

These here seemed ok, but what do I know:
http://www.thirdgenresource.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=622

Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2003, 02:17 PM

id say go for it! some people run into charging problem with underdrive pulleys because they spin the alt. at a lower speed. although i didnt run into any charging problems. just dont blast your stereo at night when your at a redlight with all of your accessories on (lights, stereo, etc.) its an easy mod that can be done in your driveway. its good to know someone with an impact gun if the alt. bolt is rusted on (which it probably is). you will also need a smaller belt. other than that its pretty stright forward. you also mentioned that you had old filters in, if so id also suggest a k&n filter. hope this helps!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:47 PM

K&N filters and gut the stock airboxes so they get a direct shot of cold air from down below (many posts on how to do this).

You'll have about $40 left over so replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor with new parts store replacements (assuning you haven't changed them recently)- nothing fancy, no "hotrod" parts.

Bump up your base timing from 6* BTDC stock to 10* BTDC (procedure on how to do this correctly is also posted all over the place)

If you can scare up another $35 replace the stock coil with an Accell or other commonly available high performance replacement coil.

These simple mods, all combined, are guaranteed to make you smile.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:41 PM

Any particular Accel coil you guys would reccomend for me?

And thanks for the comments so far guys. The K&N filter has been ordered, and I'll see about gutting the airbox (though I cant say I understand what you mean there) once I've gotten it.

-Damen

edit: and do you guys have any preferences for plugs, or are they all pretty much the same?

Last edited by Damen; 06-16-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:06 PM

id recommed a regular set of ac delco plugs. when you start getting into the "performance" plugs with 2 or 4 electrodes its just wasting your $.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:59 PM

Get a motorized exhaust cutout. I think they are about $100 US from McCord.
I have mine exiting right after my Y pipe and it sounds awesome.
I can open and close it on the fly
Gives me about 10hp gain at the track. I have a really good exhaust system already though. If you have stock exhaust the hp different will probably be more dramatic.

The fun factor is the real reason to get it though. It's way too much fun scarin riceburners and the vette boys
Old 06-17-2003, 12:41 AM

i would second the cutout ($30)

and some plugs and wires ($50-$70)
Old 06-17-2003, 06:25 AM

Can one of you guys explain what the cutout actually DOES?

-Damen
Old 06-17-2003, 08:21 AM

http://www.greenfam.org/MediaGallery...-with-QTEC.WMV
Old 06-17-2003, 10:33 AM

have u done all the free mods already??
Old 06-17-2003, 10:40 AM

Nope. I dont plan to remove the MAF screen simply because I'm paranoid and dont want to need to buy a new one. I havent gutted my airbox yet cause I dont know how and havent found any actual good instructions for how to do that (if you care to point one out, I would be very grateful). I'm going to advance the timing this weekend.

I cant say I'm really familiar with any other free mods beyond those... But as always, I am willing to listen and learn if you can tell me more!

-Damen
Old 06-17-2003, 10:42 AM

have u been to thirdgen.org ???
Old 06-17-2003, 10:49 AM

Of course, but it's not like they have a section entitled "free mods" (or if they do, I must've missed it). I've been through the suggested mods for the TPI engine page and aint many of them free. Do you mean the throttle body coolant bypass? Does that one actually make much of a diff? and will it cause me problems here in PA where it DOES get pretty cold come winter?

But again, please, enlighten me. I have much to learn.

-Damen

Quick Reply: Wanna blow a very little bit of cash on something fun and useless