3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

went to check out this 92 ws6... tips please..

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 07:08 PM
ryu

went to check out this 92 ws6... tips please..

well i really really like this car and its a good deal compared to all the other cars iv looked at and i really want to get it. its a black 92 ws6 5.6L. out side is almost perf but on the front bumper the paint is chipping and you can see red under it, he told me he got the car in black 4 years ago. its abou the size of a dime. its a hard top and it has no leaks, the inside is in good (no rips) but the thing in the middle that holds the power window switches fell in but it still works. when i checked the overflow coolnt thing it was not up to the full level.... i looked down it and it had just enuf to fill up the very bottom of it...he told me nothing was leaking..?.. one more thing was the breaks, it felt like it was hard to break and took a little while to break most when im going slow and commin to a stop. what do you guys think about all this??? he is asking 5500 but im not going to pay more than 5. oh yeah and the hatch push up things dont work... should i take the wheels off the car to check the breaks to see if its just the pads or something??Please help!!!any info would be great!!! oh yeah and the idle psi was around 40 or 50 or something...thanks alot!!!!........ can anyone do a car fax for me???thanks...
Old 04-08-2003, 07:41 PM

$5k for that? You can get a 93-95 TransAm for that much.

I don't beleive WS6s were made in '92? I know for sure there was no such thing as a 5.6l engine put in any thirdgen, nor fourthgen for that matter. He probably means the 5.7l 350 ci engine. Although if the guy doesn't know, I'd definatly check the casting numbers because the chances are it's a 305.

Sounds like its in pretty good shape. How many miles? So it needs a little brake work, not bad. But 5 grand is way too much for a thirdgen, unless of course it's modded to hell or just one of "those."
Old 04-08-2003, 08:05 PM
ryu

oops my bad... typo.... 5.7 and you think its a bad deal? that is kbb price, and it is very nice!its got 93k miles and how much would it cost to get rotors shaved and new pads? what about the coolant thing? is that something to worry about? thanks !
Old 04-08-2003, 09:10 PM

Keep looking, that car sounds like a dog. Too many things wrong at first glance and how about what you can not see???? Not for that price.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:03 PM

the brakes might be just a loose vacuum line or something with the booster if that makes sense....
Chris
Old 04-08-2003, 10:44 PM
ryu

you really think its a bad deal? its the kbb value but im having a hard time finding a clean 3rd gen 5.7L within 200 miles of me... what about the coolant? thats what im wondering about.... i have a blown head gask on my car so kinda low coolant is scary.. do thez engines use a little fluid or something??thanks.... looks like i might have to pass.......later
Old 04-09-2003, 07:19 AM

Stop thinking about the problems with that car. Just run away as fast as you can. Keep looking and for 5K you should be able to find a GEM.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:45 AM

With a $5k budget, you have 2 choices:

1. Buy a clapped out 91-2 L98
2. Buy a nice 87-89 L98

The chances of finding a real nice, solid 91 or 92 L98 for $5k is not going to be easy. Most people that say otherwise apparently have the same idea of a nice car as you. My idea of a nice car isn't one that's obviously had the front bumper replaced and poorly repainted, brake problems, messed up center console, etc.

Any car in your price range is going to come with some problems, but lousy paint and lousy brakes are both pretty major. The spot is only the size of a dime, so you might not think that's a big issue, but to me it raises a red flag that the car has had the bumper replaced (most likely due to a collision) and it was painted improperly, which forces you to wonder how well the rest of the repair was done. If the car was red and he changed it to black, he apparently still did a poor job on the prep work.

The brakes on these cars aren't extremely expensive to repair, but if the brakes don't feel right, you know right away that you're going to have to dump money into your "good deal".

This car has enough little things that it makes you wonder just how well cared for it was.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by ryu
you really think its a bad deal? its the kbb value but im having a hard time finding a clean 3rd gen 5.7L within 200 miles of me...
dont give up man she'll come, it took me over a year to find mine. and in 92 the only WS6 came right from SLP and were super rare so if you found one thats sweet but 5k? id try to talk him down some.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
dont give up man she'll come, it took me over a year to find mine. and in 92 the only WS6 came right from SLP and were super rare so if you found one thats sweet but 5k? id try to talk him down some.
"found one that sweet" as in JUNK. I think he wants a driver and not a money sucking project car, if thats what you mean by sweet.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:21 PM

Keep looking man. I got my 92 L98 and a doner 89 Iroc-Z for 3600 with only a dent on the quarter panel and a busted flexplate. Good Luck
Old 04-10-2003, 01:57 AM

That car has the potential to be either REALLY worth it, or not at all. I think a lot of you guys don't realize just how rare a 92 GTA with the WS6 package is. There were very few built, and if some one tried selling me one in good condition, for that amount, I would be all over it.
The reason why it might be a bad deal is the possibility of repaint/body damage. If it shows red throug the paint, I would be concerned. This should not be a reason to give up on the car however. What color is the engine bay? How many miles?
If it has good mileage, pass the number to me, I would be interested.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:23 AM

Nothing RARE about any 3rd Gen Car in the near future, regardless of the numbers produced. The price of the car is only in eyes of one who wants it. May be worth something in fifty years and you still have your old Garage Queen.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:53 AM

Where did he say it was a GTA? He said it was a WS6, which is available on TAs and Formulas too. 92 GTAs are quite rare, but unless he plans to restore it, with that kind of condition, it's still not worth anything.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:51 AM
ryu

its not a gta, its a trans am. and where do you all live because i never see a nice 3rd get for good price and i really never see a 91 or 92 5.7.....the engine bay was black...do you guys think that maybe just the front bumper was damaged and somebody put on a red bumper and painted it? it wasnt red red, any chance it could have been the color of a stock chipped bumper? i am looking for a driver but im in auto tech classes and i dont mind fixing a few things down the line a little... but its gotta be pritty good for atleast a year... does it really matter if the car has been damaged if it was fixed good? it it was just the front bumper and was replaced i dont see what the deal is...ill check really good under the car next time i go to see frame damage or welding or something....what should i look for?im not really sure..thanks for your honest opinions.... by the way im in maryland and if you guys can tell me about a nice car within 200 miles from me that would be great!!later.......

Quick Reply: went to check out this 92 ws6... tips please..