3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

what do LCA relocation brakets do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 08:08 PM

what do LCA relocation brakets do?

ive heard of people talk about them and how their supposed to help w/ traction...what do they do and how do they help traction?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 PM

i know people usually ge tthem when they lower their cars...but that's the extent of my knowledge on that part of the suspension
Old 10-09-2003, 08:23 PM

when i find out what they are/what they do,i might get them b/c my car is lowerd.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 PM

Courtesy of Matt87GTA on TGO:

"The relocation brackets are a good idea even on a stock height car if it is going to hook up and launch hard or come out of corners hard. They change the geometry of the LCAs to better plant the rear under acceleration. If you don't want to mess with welding you can get the BMR bolt in ones.... They can be welded too though....."

-Rippin

Last edited by Black6SpdTA; 10-09-2003 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:46 PM

thanx rippin,appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:24 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Next time you're under your car, look at the angle of your current lower control arms. If they're sloping upwards from front to back, think about what that will do to your rear end when you launch. The g-forces will push the LCA's upwards, which will lift the rear end, causing wheel-hopping and you lose traction. With the LCA lowering brackets, the LCA's are now sloping down, and when you launch they will push the rear end down, helping to plant the tires and giving you more traction. Make sense?

http://para.noid.org/~thresher/image...ze=800&start=0
Old 10-13-2003, 11:03 AM

Elaborate, Gunny. Are bolt-in ones useless? Or just not "as" good?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:35 PM

They're not useless, but they're EXTREMELY less efficient comparatively.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:06 PM

Also with the bolt in style, after so many launches those bolt holes tend to elongate. Then it makes it sloppy and useless. IF it is welded into the car. you are going to have to break a weld before it starts to get sloppy. Now depending on the quality of welder you shouldn't have a problem with the weld in style.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:13 PM

Less efficient???? What in the world are you talking about????

The bolt on ones work just fine. In fact the design of the BMR bolt-in ones is much better than the standard bracket as it triangulates with the shock mounting bracket. You people do realize that the entire front suspension of the car is bolted to the body of the car, right???? If you have first hand experience and proof of said problems with bolt in LCAs relocation brackets, provide it please . Otherwise..... well you know what to do.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 PM

Ok lets clarify. Bolt in is just fine for everyday cruisers that are just wanting a better ride, better cornering and an occassional better launch when the local horsey decides to see who is faster. HOWEVER, if you are planning to be hitting the track on a regular basis. Take the time to do it right and go ahead and have them welded in. This is not only a safety issue, it is a common sense issue. IF you are going to be doing wheel stands a weld is 99.9 times better than a bolt.....And the difference between the rear end being bolted in and the IFS being bolted is a WHOLE other issue. I promise you, that you are not going to be putting the front thru so many torque pounds trying to get it to do a wheel stand like you do the rear.....Common think about that one.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Banned

Here is what I would do. Just like my Alston Racing SFC. Buy the bolt in ones and weld them in. Bolt them in like you see then have them welded by a professional welder. Once it is in and the thing is supported, the welder has an easier time. Make it easier for the welder=Less $$
Old 10-13-2003, 11:15 PM

That is probably the best way to do it.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by FishPig
That is probably the best way to do it.

That's the way I did it ,and I'm a welder.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:52 AM

Well I think the problem with how you are looking at it is rooted in the fact that you are looking at this strictly from a drag racing point of view.... Of course comparing the front suspension loading to the rear makes no sense to you....

I don't do wheel stands with my car, but if a guy were looking to do one, I would say welding the LCA brackets in would be one of many things needed to pull that off..... That being said I still bet it would hold up for quite some time... Possibly even before other things would fail.

I do, however, road race quite a few times a year and I don't lose a wink of sleep over having mine bolted in - along with my S&W SFCs.... I'm just gonna go ahead and call you people out because I am sick to death of seeing "internet experts" flap their yappers about what happens with bolt in LCA brackets and SFCs....

Show me these so called incidents where all he11 breaks loose - or at-ease this nonsense idealistic talk. Period. Call me what you will... But I want proof as I know many, many people with bolt-in stuff and none have had problems.... I have, however, seen crappy weld jobs come apart on occasion.

Quick Reply: what do LCA relocation brakets do?