3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

what do LCA relocation brakets do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:36 PM

Bolt v Weld

As far as LCA's and SFC's I do kind of agree with Matt a little as far as weld v bolt under nomal use bolt -up is probably just as good,however being a welder/fabricator for 20+ yrs. I have seen a lot of stuff that was bolted torn apart under torque conditions that would never have happened with a weld. Yes a bad weld is no stronger than a wad of gum,and the gum would be stronger,but that is the person doing the welding and not the process. Like I said in my earlier post I used bolt in SFC's and welded them after they were mounted,I added some gussets when doing this and they are probably stronger than most weld only SFC's. If you are going to use bolt-ins (any kind) you should be aware that from time to time you will have to check and retighten those bolts,and when you do check the holes for elongation,and tearing,then repair by welding. As for LCA's there shouldn't be that much differance between the two as the stock LCA's are bolted in place in the first place,however I can see where there could be some unwanted flex with bolt-in's on the track,but under normal(stop light to stop light) driveing this should not be that much of a problem. Hope this helps solve some questions, T.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Banned

How do you explain the bolt elongation on my car where the rear end of the LCA bolts to it? I kept hearing the clunk and one day I found out the bracket on the chasis of the car where the LCA bolts to had elongated. If you keep stressing it, sooner or later, the bolt hole might get elongated. And yes, I have seen bolt in SFCs that have hole elongation after many passes.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:48 PM

well it is like IROC-T stated. and I guess it just makes common sense. If it is a bolt you need to maintain that bolt so that it doesn't get loose and get away from you. OK CALL ME LAZY. I would rather IMO weld it that way I don't have to keep skinning my forehead crawling underneath my car every month or so to check and make sure that everything is tight. THIS is why I will never own another Holley Carb. I love to work on cars, but I hate repeating the same job time and time again....Here is an update to the advice I have forgiven. DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS BEST FOR YOU! Enuf Said.