3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What else could be causing bad gas milage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 AM

What else could be causing bad gas milage?

My girlfriends 90' TBI Formula is still getting bad gas milage even after the changing of the O2 sensor that I thought was the problem. What are some other things to look for? Keep in mind that there is a new air filter, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor, and fuel filter. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:36 PM

Smile

Air pressure in the tires could be low ... I am sure that you checked this. Also an alingment that is off, a tranny that needs a fluid change, Injectors that are bleeding down, a hole in the fuel pressure regulator diafram(very comman), long term fuel trim too rich.

Do a fuel pressure test KOEO, and see if the system holds PSI, if it does not, you have a leak somewhere, wither back into the tank(would not cause bad milage), a leaky injector, or a bleeding regualtor. Look at your exhaust, if there is a lot of carbon this is a sign of hi HC (unburned fuel) and you have a problem somewhere. Also I would do a compression test...

There is a lot of possibilties,
Erik
Old 02-19-2003, 12:39 PM

Oh yeah forgot to mention another real comman one is a brake caliper that is hanging up, check the pads for uneven wear, and if it suspected make sure that hte caliper slides a free...

Hope this helps
Old 02-19-2003, 09:16 PM

It is definatly running rich but of course I don't know why. It has to be with the fuel delivery because all the mechanical possibilities have been checked. Could the timing have anything to do with it? I am not sure if this is normal but when i look at the throttle body with the air cleaner off, I see fuel being sprayed on the closed throttle body at idle and it kinda pools up and I guess leaks through, down into the intake and so on. But when i increase rpms, the amount of fuel seems to be constant and only the throttle blades are opening more. i don't know what the deal is but somewhere too much fuel is being used.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:24 PM

Smile

Your timing is set and should not move unless the chain jumps, but if that happened you would be havin a whole new set of problems. It is entirly possible for the ECM to be commanding the injector pulswidth to be too long, driving up the long term fuel trim and causing your real ritch condition, but for this a Scan tool and four gas analizer are needed to diagnose the problem. Make sure the sytem holds PSI for at least two minutes with the key on and engine off first and go from there, thats my suggestion.

Peace,
Erik
Old 02-20-2003, 06:11 AM

So how do I test if the system holds PSI for two minutes? Is that something I can do myself? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:22 AM

Is the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) adjustable? If so then maybe it is cranked up too high. I found that this was one of my problems. THe O2 sensor can only do so much when you run rich enough to shoot black smoke (unburned fuel) out of the tail pipes.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:54 AM

The FPR is stock as well as the rest of the car.........not a single mod, down to the paper air filter.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:09 PM

Could the Baro sensor be a problem? The car just threw a code for it. The code used to come up all the time but it went away for a few months and now it seems to be back. This is getting very frustrating.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:44 PM

Just wanted to mention that the CTS may be bad giving the ECM a false reading. What this will do is cause the ECM to try and compensate and add fuel.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:20 AM

What is the CTS?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
What is the CTS?
Coolant Temp Sensor. Only way to know for sure if its bad is with a scan tool. You will need to read its values in real time.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe that is a problem. I always thought the car ran incredibly cool. In normal driving it stays around 130 and it seemed to me that the cooling system was a bit screwy.........or maybe I am just wrong and everything is the way it is supposed to be. I bet that the sensor is pretty cheap so I think it is not that big a deal to replace.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:27 AM

The sensor is less than 10 bucks and its located on the thermostat housing. Another thing now that you've mentioned it... If the car isn't getting up to operating temp then you will get sh!tty gas mileage too.

Heres where to start:

Get a new thermostat and gasket. I'd get a 180* or a 195* thermo and install it. Get the new CTS and install it also. Now flush the colling system with water until only clear water starts coming out then drain it and fill with 50/50 antifreeze/water.

I am almost positive this is your problem.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:12 AM

check the fuel vapor canisiter in the emission system, i had a bad filter in it and my fuel milage sucked. I was told they go bad because of over filling the gas tank.

Quick Reply: What else could be causing bad gas milage?