3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What the hell happened????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 01:40 PM

Angry What the hell happened????

Try to keep short......I was on my way home friday night. Was having some fun with car(WOT) when all of a sudden..... running on seven cylinders. Next day I pulled headers and found that the second plug on driver side from firewall(don't know actual plug number) was fouled out...I MEAN FOULED OUT!!! The damn tip of the plug was bent all the way down Now not being miffed(happened before because of detonation) I changed the plugs out and headed for test run....WOT and boom AGAIN!!!! same cylinder same plug.....I did hear some detonation on that run also...Now could I have jumped timing (advanced) without moving distributor manually??? If not...could bad gas do this(detonation)....Anyhoot, I pulled header and replaced the plug. As long as I drive like GRAMPS, she seems like she is running alright (until stopped..then she idles like I have a cam in the damn thing)...I also had to bump idle up due to engine dying out...HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thanks guys you are the best

Later

------------------
1989 Formula 350
K&N air filter, air foil, TB Bypass, AFPR (set at 45 psi), A.I.R. yanked out, Accel 8mm wires, Fireball external coil, Pulley (just the crank), gutted MAF, corvette servo, Hooker super comp. shorties, 3" exhaust all the way back, No cats, Flowmaster 40 series muffler (one in one out turned down)---Developed a bad habit....bottle related!!!!75 Shot of Nitrous
http://www.theformulasource.com/owne...php?siteid=144

So they made him get rid of it...For decency ya know....But it came back the next day...

My webpage:www.cardomain.com/id/1fastformula
Old 09-03-2002, 02:16 PM

Detonation will not cause an electrode to be bent over. Mechanical obstructions such as a pitson or valve will cause the electrode to bend over. Seems like there is somthing wrong in that cylinder like perhaps an incorrect piston. You might also want to see if you can get plugs that are shorter. They may be sticking a little too far into the combustion chamber. Sounds like somthing major is on its way and it may be rebuild time.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:14 PM

Bent electrode on my 400 was due to a busted piston.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Banned

Maybe you broke a valve spring or you have a weak spring? If the valve goes far down enough to hit the plug maybe? That or a bent valve? Just grasping at straws here,
Old 09-03-2002, 08:22 PM

Question

I always thought if you have a broke rod or piston , you would here it clanking......I hope it is not rebuild time...if so its is GM 350 HO time .....Keep the tips coming cause all of them help. Keep you updated!!

Later

------------------
1989 Formula 350
K&N air filter, air foil, TB Bypass, AFPR (set at 45 psi), A.I.R. yanked out, Accel 8mm wires, Fireball external coil, Pulley (just the crank), gutted MAF, corvette servo, Hooker super comp. shorties, 3" exhaust all the way back, No cats, Flowmaster 40 series muffler (one in one out turned down)---Developed a bad habit....bottle related!!!!75 Shot of Nitrous
http://www.theformulasource.com/owne...php?siteid=144

So they made him get rid of it...For decency ya know....But it came back the next day...

My webpage:www.cardomain.com/id/1fastformula
Old 09-03-2002, 08:31 PM

Damn the bad luck. Todd, That is one really nice 'bird, simply gorgeous. I think our 3rd Gens look so awsome in black. Hope you get her flying again real soon.

Good luck,
Mike

------------------
92BLKL98
'92 Black Z28 Hardtop w/Harwood 2" cowl ind. hood Modded 700R4, MSD
Ignition, March Underdrives, TPIS Fastpak, Ram air w/gutted filter box, SLP Prom, Flowmaster, & free mods, removed cats, Amsoil synthetic lubes, CE SFC's, Edelbrock STB,Spohn TA,Roadtech LCA's and Panhard Rod, Energy Susp., PST polygraphite bushings, KYB Shocks.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:40 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1fastformula:
I always thought if you have a broke rod or piston , you would here it clanking
</font>
In my case a piece of the ring land broke off, bounced around a little, then got spit out the exaust.

Figuring the engine was coming out anyway, I popped in another spark plug, and ran it 3 more times at the track. It's a long drive out there, so I wanted to get my 20 bucks worth. Couldn't get it into the 13's, just a bunch of 14 oh's. Then I drove it home. When I pulled the engine, found it actually had 2 broken KB's. Try that on a Honduh engine!

Old 09-04-2002, 01:33 AM

I talked to a motor builder friend of mine. He said its either a loose connecting rod or your piston is broken/wrist pin has worn incorrectly. You sir need to pull that motor and find out whats wrong before you wrap a rod around the crank and shatter your piston.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:20 AM

severe detonation WILL damage a spark plug. although physical damage like that is usually mechanically related. check base timing with a light, then move on from there...