3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What to look for in a 3rd gen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 08:48 PM

What to look for in a 3rd gen camaro?

Please forgive this newbie post.

I've always loved the look of the 3rd gen camaro and would like to purchase one in the near future. Im just wondering what year/models are most desireable considering performance, and reliability issues as well as any particular problems to watch out for that are unique to the 3rd gen?

I've always enjoyed a manual transmission but it seems that many of the cars with the larger v8's did not have the manual transmission.

Would it be better to get the larger engine with an automatic or s slightly smaller engine with the manual?

Sorry for the ignorance but just looking for suggestions and advice from knowledgable folks.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 PM

there's a lot of things to think about

such as do you want a carb'd engine, TBI, TPI

convertible? Coupe? T-Tops?
v6? v8?
do you want a 305 or 350 for the engine
looking for a Z28? IROC-Z?

auto/manual
(As far as i know convertibles are the only ones that didn't have the option of manual + 350, or maybe that was for a certain year)

for your other question... You could get a 305 + Manual transmission and do some modifications to it, to make it faster. I've heard stories about 305's with proper mods beating out 350's. It's just that it will require more work. That's up to you, though.

also are you looking for power options? power windows? (they will probably be slow going up/down if they are still stock with no maintenance, but you can use WD-40 or replace the motors, etc.) Power anything? Make sure all the features work, and if they don't, then you'll have something to work on (Could be just a fuse, or something minor, like that).... also, any Relays, as they get older, they can possibly get STUCK on the "ON" position and you'll have to get it replaced, or it could drain the battery. But if you find a car that's in good condition, the previous owner probably fixed any problems, already.

Most third-gen camaros will PROBABLY not be stock, and will have custom mods/engine/ sound system/ etc.

So you'll have more options to look into.

as far as problems... it's usually a bunch of small things that go wrong. Such as wiring problems / things wearing out / breaking. (the lid to the console usually sort of tears appart over time)...
T-Tops usually leak under HEAVY rain. this can be fixed with new weather stripping, and proper alignment. correcting the problems is usually pretty easy, but in some cases it might cost some money or effort to fix.

the best year? it really depends, I suppose. the 350 engine came in 1987, I believe.

I've got an 87 IROC-Z with T-Tops, 350 TPI, 5.7 Liter, Auto(damn).. Every time we fix something, we manage to break something else. But it's still an awesome car. No complaints from me

hope some of this helped.

Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 05-08-2003 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Banned

You need to state your application and how much money. You could buy one with a good body but a rotten tranny and engine and build it up yourself. What do you want to do? Drag or AutoX or just street performance?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:11 PM

Get a 350tpi, better heads. They will support 300HP stock.
No manual was offered with a 350, only auto.
Get at least an 88+ 88+ got major upgrades.
91-92 also got major apperance upgrades and use a different computer system. They have a few more HP
Old 05-09-2003, 07:14 AM

Im really just looking for street performance, IM not looking to get serious in autoxing or dragracing. I do like to work on cars and add bolt ons etc to increase performance. Currently I do almost all of my own maintenance like timing belts, brakes, shocks etc. Sort of a beginner/intermediate backyard mechanic.

I do like the ground effects on the later cars, not sure when that started. I dont care about power windows etc really, just more stuff to replace later so I could do without it. Im just ready for a V8 with a nice rumble and some snap your neck power with good looks and reliability. I do also like 5 speeds but with enough power and acceleration with an auto I wouldnt miss it too much.

Thanks a lot for the replies and the information, you guys have been very helpful.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:57 AM

I have an 86, but I would definatley agree with the statement to get an 88-92, the first few years of the third genw ent througha lot of changes every year and sometimes things can be a headache.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:23 AM

If you're planning on modding it anyway, don't turn down an 87. The differences between the 87s and 88 were minor, and once you do the usual headers/cat/catback upgrade, it all evens out anyway.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:39 PM

Questions to ask your self....
how badly do you really want a standard?
I was in the same boat but decided id rather have the 350 then the standard.

How much power do you want to have the car running?
this is for 2 main reasons. One the 5 speed that came with the cars is ****ty and cant take too much more power then it is already running. Also the 90+ camaros switched to a 10 bolt rear which is not as strong as the 9 bolt which the previous third gens have...

89 seems to be the golden year because it is the most recent one with the 9 bolt rear but also realize some of the production numbers. Today i actually just got my very first car and its a 1990 with a 350 auto....the cool thing about the 90's is that very few were made and extremely few had the 350
well thats my input
Old 05-09-2003, 05:56 PM

Good points,

Im not really sure how much I want the standard. I really havent ever owned or driven a truly powerful car. I started with an 1980 volvo, then an 83 rx7 gsl, then an 87 rx7 gxl, and now have a toyota tacoma 2.7 ltr and a 89 nissan maxima. All of which were standards except the maxima.

Im ready for an American car with power. So Im guessing with the power increase I wont miss the standard too much. IS the 350 w auto noticebly stronger/faster than the 305 standard?

Thanks for helping me out, I am surfing the net trying to educate myself about these cars but your posts really help out. Especially since I have a slow connection and computer.

Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by tinker
I do like the ground effects on the later cars, not sure when that started.
they changed the ground effects for the 91 and 92 cars. as far as the 305s and the 350s. the 350s have a noticible increase in power and speed. if your going to go for a 305 id recommend a tpi 305 rather than a tbi 305, the tpi is quicker. not to say you cant make a tbi fast, it will just cost you more $.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:21 AM
Banned

Go with a later model car and but subframe connectors. I'd get a hard top which is stronger than a convertable. Get the 350 with auto. I'd get one with a good body and a broken engine. Take both engine and tranny out and build the hell out of them and enjoy the car
Old 05-12-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by tinker
IS the 350 w auto noticebly stronger/faster than the 305 standard?
No. The TPI 305 5-speed cars were almost as fast as the TPI 350 automatics. The 5-speed cars got the same cam as the 350, and was only down a few horsepower... which was usually made up by the better rear gears that most of the manual transmission cars got. Generally, stock for stock, the 5-speed cars were only a couple tenths slower in the 1/4.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:00 PM

Hmmmm?! What would be the pros and cons of each then? Are parts easier to find for one and not the other? Reliability issues? I only plan on doing bolt on modificiations that are fairly easy and may in time as knowledge grows try some more sophisticated upgrades. Is there an advantage in gas mileage of one over the other, I know thats not much of a consideration since they are both v8's but just checking.

Thanks again for the advice and info!
Old 05-12-2003, 02:38 PM

Parts and reliability are all the same. Other than the rotating assembly of the motor, and the 5-speed parts, everything else is identical. 5 speed parts aren't hard to find for the most part... between all the v6 cars and the carbed/tbi 5 speed cars, you can find anything you need.

Pros and cons? Do you like to shift or let the car do it for you? The 700R4s and the T5s both have a tendancy to break a lot if you hammer them, so that's pretty much a wash.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:19 PM

Hey thanks, I tend to like having control over when the car shifts, and Im not into abusing cars because I dont have the money to keep repairing thinks I broke from being to hard on them. Noticed your in VT, Im in western MA!

Now it looks like a have a few more possiblities to consider. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: What to look for in a 3rd gen camaro?