3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What is this noise coming from timing cover...............

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 08:08 PM

Post What is this noise coming from timing cover...............

There seems to be a minor problem. As i was parking at home i decided to pop the hood while the engine was running, and i hear this noise(like someone dropping a bolt inside a tin can) It Seems to happen once every 5-8 sec. I put a magnetic pole right on the center of the timing chain and the noise seems to be coming from there.. Could this be a loose timing chain? I have a Cam button installed with the roller cam i doubt it could be it!? Any guesses?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:09 AM

Just a wild guess but i have seen this on three f-body's, does it sound like you are running over or dragging a tin can.

If so take off the inspection shield on the trans that lets you get to the torque convertor and there will likely be a bolt in there. Most of the time they are from the rear main seal of the engine since they come loose or it could be a bolt that fell in by the opening for the starter.

Results on the other cars were a broken/cracked bellhousing and the other was a rear main that leaked since it was not fixed.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Administrator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlowBye:
There seems to be a minor problem. As i was parking at home i decided to pop the hood while the engine was running, and i hear this noise(like someone dropping a bolt inside a tin can) It Seems to happen once every 5-8 sec. I put a magnetic pole right on the center of the timing chain and the noise seems to be coming from there.. Could this be a loose timing chain? I have a Cam button installed with the roller cam i doubt it could be it!? Any guesses?</font>
Give us a clue..... what engine? what year? what model? what trans?..... any mod's????

Then we can move the question to the appropriate "tech" forum, if necessary.

Fred

Old 06-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

A freind had this same noise, and i think he said it was the abs touching the air intake.

And yes please give some more details so that we can help you better.

------------------
Ken Mook - 97' SS #2544
Advanced Tech Posting Guidelines
  • Almost Alive: ?rwhp & ?rwtq Naturally Asperated on the Stock Bottom End.
  • Stage 3 Pro Performance Heads, Solid Roller 242/248 Cam, Jesel Shaft Mount Rockers,
  • Jet Hot Hooker LTs, True Dual 3" Exhaust with x-pipe, and the list goes on and on...
Old 06-21-2002, 02:19 PM

sorry my mistake, the motor is a 87' 305 TPI and the tranny is a manual T-5, Motor has been rebuild with forged everything,Accel 75211 cam, vette heads SVO 19# injectors, edl headers and intake, and other sorts of bolt ons. The timing chain that i have on it is a Cloyes timing chain, The guy that put my motor installed a Cam button. And im using a Steel Summit 2 piece timing cover. Like i said the noise occurs ONCE 5-8 seconds. I hope it isnt anything that big of a deal. Like i said i put a magnetic pole on the middle of the timing cover and i feel that slight "Tick" noise on the upper middle part of the timing cover.

[This message has been edited by BlowBye (edited June 21, 2002).]
Old 06-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

BlowBye,
Thanks for providing a little more info, that will definately help people diagnose your problem. This question, though, would be more suited for 3rd Gen Tech. I will move it there.