3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 AM

What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

Summit your best guess.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 AM

Re: What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

One that's in good condition = $10,00.00 in 10 years. I think 89 and 90 will be worth more than 85-88.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 AM

just my $.02 no flame intended
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 AM

just my guess but im guessing a mint one will be worth a bit. look at past cost costs.. aroud 10-15 years after car was built they are worth nothing.. now they will turn around a bit.. im not saying they will be worth millions but im sure they will turn around alot.. look at the new cars of today... they are litterally plastic.. how can plastic cars be worth anything? im more worried forthem then us.

p.s.. i didn;t rebuild the car for a value return. but it would be nice to nkow it is worth someting after im done

Douglas
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM

Don't use it as your 401K, or you will be eating pet food in your retirement.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:03 AM

haha yeah im with him on that one... haha
Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 AM

It depends on so many factors that it's hard to do anything besides make a wild-assed-guess. If the car market continues on the trend it's on, with first gens going up and up and up, 2nd gens will continue to get pulled up as well, and you'll start to see thirdgens get pulled up with it. The difference is, first gens and 2nd gens are both old enough, and worth enough, that the cars that we're disussing are restored cars, where with thirdgens, they're not yet at the level where they're being restored. With thirdgens though, as with a lot of late 2nd gens, there are a surprising number of original, unrestored, no-mile vehicles available. This is good and bad. It's good, because a mint, unrestored original is always worth more than a restored car in the same condition, but it's bad because the large number of these cars is going to kill demand for restored thirdgens. If somebody wants a nice thirdgen, they go buy an original one.

So, in the next 10 years, I would expect to see the value of these low mile, original IROCs and Z28s that are currently selling in the $20k range to move up to perhaps $30k by 2016. If the car market continues to explode like it's doing right now, with first gens hitting astronomical numbers and 2nd gens hitting what first gens are doing now, you could see these mint thirdgens hitting $40k (along with nicely restored ones hitting $20-30k), but I really doubt it. The huge inflation in prices for first gens has got to cool off eventually. There's no way they can continue to inflate at this rate for another 10 years.

If I'm right and the 1st gen prices stabilize, then so will 2nd and third gens. The mint originals currently selling for $20k will stabilize, then slowly rise, so perhaps they'll reach $25k in 10 years, which is about where a nice unrestored late 2nd gen sits right now. This will leave exceptionally well restored cars in the $15-20k range, and the "nice" cars in the $8-12k range.

The obvious exception will be the TTAs, 1LEs, and perhaps some convertables.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 AM

I have noticed a huge disparity in the price of 1st and 2nd gens, the desireable ones go for big numbers, but the run of the mill cars are not pulling big numbers, for instance I am looking at buying a 69 Firebird 400 that is in good shape, I will not have to paint it, do any major interior work , or rebuild any of the drivetrain or powertrain, but it just needs a detail and a few small "perishable peices. I am looking at getting it for 8500 $. A good freind of mine bougt a 67 350 auto camaro for 6500$.

You wouldnt be able to touch a 1st gen Z, 68 RA 2 , or any 375 horse 396 BB camaro for those prices, you'd be looking closer to 30 for a finished BB car (396) and 60 thou for the Z.

I think the average 3rd gen 305 TPI car will max out in the 6500 - 10 thou range for a very fine example. An L98 well optioned car I would guess would command in the 10 to 15 range for one in excellent shape. (of course this is all in 10 years). But you never know what will happen, we might all be riding horses in 10 years , or paying 40 bucks for a gallon of gasoline, making third gens museum peices.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by JJJ93z

I hope your joking. Maintained ones are going for 5k-7K now.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM

If you are driving your 3rd Gen car now its not going to worth nothing. You are 10/20 years too late. The ONLY cars that are going to bring big money are the ones that were bought NEW and stored. Not any IROC driven by a teenager who thinks his car is worth big buck after all those burnout.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
It depends on so many factors that it's hard to do anything besides make a wild-assed-guess. If the car market continues on the trend it's on, with first gens going up and up and up, 2nd gens will continue to get pulled up as well, and you'll start to see thirdgens get pulled up with it. The difference is, first gens and 2nd gens are both old enough, and worth enough, that the cars that we're disussing are restored cars, where with thirdgens, they're not yet at the level where they're being restored. With thirdgens though, as with a lot of late 2nd gens, there are a surprising number of original, unrestored, no-mile vehicles available. This is good and bad. It's good, because a mint, unrestored original is always worth more than a restored car in the same condition, but it's bad because the large number of these cars is going to kill demand for restored thirdgens. If somebody wants a nice thirdgen, they go buy an original one.

So, in the next 10 years, I would expect to see the value of these low mile, original IROCs and Z28s that are currently selling in the $20k range to move up to perhaps $30k by 2016. If the car market continues to explode like it's doing right now, with first gens hitting astronomical numbers and 2nd gens hitting what first gens are doing now, you could see these mint thirdgens hitting $40k (along with nicely restored ones hitting $20-30k), but I really doubt it. The huge inflation in prices for first gens has got to cool off eventually. There's no way they can continue to inflate at this rate for another 10 years.

If I'm right and the 1st gen prices stabilize, then so will 2nd and third gens. The mint originals currently selling for $20k will stabilize, then slowly rise, so perhaps they'll reach $25k in 10 years, which is about where a nice unrestored late 2nd gen sits right now. This will leave exceptionally well restored cars in the $15-20k range, and the "nice" cars in the $8-12k range.

The obvious exception will be the TTAs, 1LEs, and perhaps some convertables.
Where do you see any IROC's going for $20,000? Even the best aren't going for half that. The only 1st and 2nd Gens. that are going for unreasonable amounts are original and restored "specialty" or big blocks with lots of HP. Standard SBC Z's aren't getting much more then the mid to high $30's.
And these cars are almost 40 years old. Plus the 1st Gens. will always be more desirable then the 2nd or 3th Gens. Look at the difference between the C2 and C3 Vettes. A couple of year ago you couldn't give a C3 away! And there are other problems with the 3rd Gens. Being newer and better built there will be more of them around in 10 years. And there are few specialty version to pull the average price up, as there are with the 1st Gens.
I think your estimates are at least $5,000 optimistic, given the status quo.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM

I don't know what they will bring in ten years, and nether does anyone else! I f they did the world would have many,many more million, no billionaires than it does. However I would be very happy to see $15 to $20K for my IROC so far in mint condition. Sure everyone thinks their's is worth more because they dropped a 350, or a bigger pumpkin in it, and if you were going to sell it or trade right now it might bring you a few more bucks, but it's a numbers game and unless you keep thoughs number correct you don't have anything to collect. 1st & 2nd gens in good shape are going up, and specialties like BB's and COPO's are going to be astronomical. The only thing that will help (as for affording one) is the new aftermarket bodies that are out. Mainly it's a waiting game, you have to wait and see if someone is going to pay you for something you have. If you wait long enough someone will come along and pay what you want, BUT when is another ball of wax. My '88 has spent about 14 of it's 17 year existance in a garage, NOT because I'm hopeing for a big payoff, but because I really, really love this car and enjoy driveing it. There are lots of faster and fancier ones out there and still many,many more originals still around, but who knows maybe 17-20 years down the road my new grandson will have someone come up to him and offer him a wheelbarrow of cash for his original 1988 IROC-Z, and hopefully he will tell him NO-WAY it's an hierloom. Thus the market goes up.

Last edited by IROC-T; 08-02-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM

in 10 years my iroc will be 29 years old
a 29 year old camaro right now.....
right now a 77 camaro z28 goes for.....?
not as much as a 67 z28

my opinion
if restored and maintained, in 20 years i firmly believe the price of iroc's will soar, in 10 years, nah
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 PM

If they don't sell gas 10 years from now it won't be worth SH#T! LOL. Anyone remember a movie back in the early 80's where gasoline cars were illegal, but some guy kept his GT RACECAR underground and would drive it around every now and then and the military always tried to get him. Neat movie but it's funny now cause I never thought that would even come close in my life. Anyone remember the name of it?? Oh yea. I think the IROC's and Z28's will be in the $15,000 range in great shape. Convert's will prob. be over $20,000. The Trans Am turbo $35k. Why not. Barracuda's are selling for 15K junked. My buddy sold his rusted Barracuda for 15K on e-bay.

Last edited by 1987IROC350; 08-03-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JJJ93z

says the guy with an LT1 4th gen that sells for less then your average Iroc,

at least where I'm from

Quick Reply: What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?