3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 PM

Re: What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

Originally Posted by 1987IROC350
If they don't sell gas 10 years from now it won't be worth SH#T! LOL.
if the world gets down to eliminating fossil fuels we still have ethanol
Old 08-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Where do you see any IROC's going for $20,000? Even the best aren't going for half that.
I've watched MANY IROCs sell through ebay and private sale for that much. A 91 1LE pulled over $30k at barret Jackson.

It's obvious from your comments that a lot of you guys don't closely follow the sale of low mile original thirdgens. I do. I scan ebay constantly, and I've personally watched money change hands at swap meets for these cars.

Some of you may not realize that what I'm talking about here are the 100% showroom perfect, show winning 100% original cars, not somebody's 100k mile good running car with a new paint job. Those cars are the ones that go for 3-8k like some of you are mentioning. If you think that's all a 5,000 mile L98 IROC clean enough for all chalk marks and original paper labels to be clearly visible is worth, then you need to further educate yourself on this subject.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 AM

Yeah, Jim's right. While I haven't really followed IROCs. I saw a 92' L98 with less then 30 miles on it (window stickers still in tact) go for over 20K one time. It's not all that uncommon, but it is uncommon (sorta) to find one with that low miles.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 AM

Im also going to state my opinion which will dissapoint most. When i first saw this i thought it was a joke. Around here there is no third gen worth more than 2000 dollars. And even for a very nice one, they just are not appealing to me at all. But others i know have a preference to them so im going to say 15k for a mint low miles third gen will be the most they will pull in the future. Like some one else said, are there even going to be gasoline powered cars in 15-20 years? I honestly dont think there will be anything left here in 15-20 years with the way **** is going in the world today. I would say drive the **** out of your car and not worry about the future.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 AM

thats going to be the sme for vintage cars then too.. infact all cars.. but they mentioned a different source of fuel.. ethanol... but something with the whole fuel situation will happen im sure
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I've watched MANY IROCs sell through ebay and private sale for that much. A 91 1LE pulled over $30k at barret Jackson.

It's obvious from your comments that a lot of you guys don't closely follow the sale of low mile original thirdgens. I do. I scan ebay constantly, and I've personally watched money change hands at swap meets for these cars.

Some of you may not realize that what I'm talking about here are the 100% showroom perfect, show winning 100% original cars, not somebody's 100k mile good running car with a new paint job. Those cars are the ones that go for 3-8k like some of you are mentioning. If you think that's all a 5,000 mile L98 IROC clean enough for all chalk marks and original paper labels to be clearly visible is worth, then you need to further educate yourself on this subject.
Your comparing apple and oranges. I believe the question is in regard to AVERAGE IROC's not some nut who buys a new car and sit on it for 20 yrs. Plus there are a lot of people that "sell" on E-Bay that never see the money.
And please, Barret Jackson?? These guys are the biggest ripoffs in the market. Go ahead and take your average IROC with 80,000+ miles on it to them and see how far you get trying to sell it. Your average IROC owner couldn't even afford the fee's these guys charge!
I do hope your right and I'm wrong, because that would make my customized 84 worth about $50,000 g's.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Where do you see any IROC's going for $20,000?

Yes they are. Kandied91Z's car went for more way more than that if I remember right. Then again his wasn't an Iroc, just a Z. But I assume that we talking about 3rd gens as a general point of reference
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89Vert
says the guy with an LT1 4th gen that sells for less then your average Iroc,

at least where I'm from
Exactly.. I think all the 4th gen owners are going to see some trouble in trying to get some money out of their cars in 10 years, wile the 3rd gens have finally pretty much hit rock bottom and are going to start comming back up slowly in those 10 years the 4th gens are just going to keep going down for twice as long until they start to get even close to the prices we could sell our 3rd gens for now, unless you have an SS with maxed out slp package and all that other good stuff your not going to get jack **** for your 4th gen for a long long time
Old 08-03-2006, 05:01 PM

History will repeat. 3RD gens will eventually be worth some good money in good shape. A peice of junk will not. Just look at all old cars. The good clean cars are worth 16-30K. But they have usually been restored and the owner has almost that much in the cars. I have seen 85 IROC's that have never been registered. They just have a certificate of origin go for 22K. This is an interesting subject. Just look at Chevelles on e-bay or traderonline.com. Crazy prices.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
The question is how much more will the L98 cars be worth than the 305

I'd take a G92 305 stick over a G92 350 auto anyday of the week
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Šenial™
Exactly.. I think all the 4th gen owners are going to see some trouble in trying to get some money out of their cars in 10 years, wile the 3rd gens have finally pretty much hit rock bottom and are going to start comming back up slowly in those 10 years the 4th gens are just going to keep going down for twice as long until they start to get even close to the prices we could sell our 3rd gens for now, unless you have an SS with maxed out slp package and all that other good stuff your not going to get jack **** for your 4th gen for a long long time

yeah, SS or WS6 will be worth coin,
but an LT1 and even the LS1 cars that don't have SS or WS6 option are getting fairly cheap in price,

and they don't have the following 3rd gens have,

the way I look at it, 1st gen will always be worth the most, then 3rd then 4th and in last is 2nd gen
Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 PM

IROC's along with everyother car that ages will eventually be relatively valuable. As they get older, and the mint low miles showroom versions become less and less readily available, price goes up. I will attribute this to anything where supply decreases, (or collector car status is achieved), value increases. It's a basic economic principle. Unless magically the supply of these cars is increased, they will undoubtly eventually go up in value.

As far as the oil situation goes. Q:When will the world run out of oil? A: Never. As supply decreases (which actually currently is not the case, majority of our current problems are demand driven) for the sake of this argument, in the future as supplies become low, the value of said oil will increase in value at an increasing rate. Nobody's going to instill a price ceiling at $5.00 and we're just gonna pump the earth until it's dry. Instead, oil will become more and more rare, while becoming more and more valuable. Will it reach the point in the far future where it's no longer affordable for you to fill up you're 8mpg LT1 to Daily Drive to work, you bet. In an extreme example, if there was only 1 barrel of oil left on the planet, it would be so valuable nobody could afford it. When will it get bad enough to have a major impact, long long ways away. Perhaps someone should employ an economic forcaster to calculate this for us? Anyone on this board an Actuarial?

Our "high gas prices" our demand driven (not entirely, but mostly at the moment). If you look at the duty cycle of refinery's (world wide) they are running at near full capacity. It get's worse in the spring/early summer time since this is when many come offline for required maintenance. Our gas consumption has increased regardless to price increases. I need to dig up the stats, I believe it was a couple years ago, gas was avg $1.85 or close to, jumped to high $2.xx the next year, and gas consumption still increased by 2%. This was a small drop to the normal increase achieved when no price increase is considered. The saving grace as gas prices increase, is it becomes more and more cost effective to use other sources for energy. Not neccessarily even alternative fuels. There are oil refinery's and oil reserves that are not cost effective to have online/opperational unless $/barrel is as high as it is today or higher. There's crude oil in remote locations that will not be cost effective to refine unless it can demand $70/barrel. Then there's the Ethanol. Locally we have producers that can sustain ethanol production as long as they can demand $2.75-$3.00 per gallon.

The major oversight I'm making in regards to gas price, is the overall large increase in global demand for crude oil, and everything that is made from it. You can thank China becoming an industrial nation for that one.

Sorry for the long post...don't mean to hi-jack you're thread...just figured I'd throw in my $.02.

Last edited by AmericanMuscle33; 08-03-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 PM

look at what most people think of third gens...they think their a joke.ugly.this and that.i've heard my baby called a lot of things.mulletmobile...that and these cars going to junkyards pretty quick.at least where i am in california.but that may just be because this place is surrounded my strange odd people.so factor in that there won't be as many maybe.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by robvas
The question is how much more will the L98 cars be worth than the 305

305 cars wont be collectable!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:27 AM

Your comparing apple and oranges. I believe the question is in regard to AVERAGE IROC's not some nut who buys a new car and sit on it for 20 yrs. Plus there are a lot of people that "sell" on E-Bay that never see the money.
And please, Barret Jackson?? These guys are the biggest ripoffs in the market. Go ahead and take your average IROC with 80,000+ miles on it to them and see how far you get trying to sell it. Your average IROC owner couldn't even afford the fee's these guys charge!
I do hope your right and I'm wrong, because that would make my customized 84 worth about $50,000 g's.
It's not "apples to oranges", it's "fresh apples to stale apples", and if all of a sudden all the fresh apples get so expensive that nobody can afford them, the price of stale apples will go up too.

There's no way to categorize an "average" thirdgen in the future, because as more and more rot, there will be a greater separation between the survivors and the junk.

The vehicles that will drive the value of all of them, will be the premium models that command the premium money, so they're the ones worth talking about.

As for barrett jackson... yeah, the stuff is overpriced there. Nobody disputes that, but what you need to think about is just what clues those prices give us about the future value of a lot of cars. Those cars that have started pulling big money at BJ are pulling more money everywhere else now too. It also shows what cars some people want so badly that they're willing to overpay. A 91 or 92 1LE Camaro sold at BJ this year for $30k. Was it worth that much? I don't think so, but somebody was still willing to pay that much for it. What we learned from that sale is that there are people out there who can and will pay top dollar for a thirdgen, and it gives us a glimpse into what the rest of the thirdgen market will aspire to in the semi-near term.

There are a lot of people that still think these prices are crazy because they wouldn't pay that much. Well, what they are willing to pay isn't what sets the value of these cars, it's what the people who are actually buying them are willing to pay. I wouldn't pay a dollar for a Darth Vadar action figure still in it's original package because I don't give a damn, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's a worthless toy. It has a very legitimate value that has nothing to do with my lack of interest in it.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 08-04-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?