3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Re: What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
It's not "apples to oranges", it's "fresh apples to stale apples", and if all of a sudden all the fresh apples get so expensive that nobody can afford them, the price of stale apples will go up too.

There's no way to categorize an "average" thirdgen in the future, because as more and more rot, there will be a greater separation between the survivors and the junk.

The vehicles that will drive the value of all of them, will be the premium models that command the premium money, so they're the ones worth talking about.

As for barrett jackson... yeah, the stuff is overpriced there. Nobody disputes that, but what you need to think about is just what clues those prices give us about the future value of a lot of cars. Those cars that have started pulling big money at BJ are pulling more money everywhere else now too. It also shows what cars some people want so badly that they're willing to overpay. A 91 or 92 1LE Camaro sold at BJ this year for $30k. Was it worth that much? I don't think so, but somebody was still willing to pay that much for it. What we learned from that sale is that there are people out there who can and will pay top dollar for a thirdgen, and it gives us a glimpse into what the rest of the thirdgen market will aspire to in the semi-near term.

There are a lot of people that still think these prices are crazy because they wouldn't pay that much. Well, what they are willing to pay isn't what sets the value of these cars, it's what the people who are actually buying them are willing to pay. I wouldn't pay a dollar for a Darth Vadar action figure still in it's original package because I don't give a damn, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's a worthless toy. It has a very legitimate value that has nothing to do with my lack of interest in it.
All true, there is no question that BJ helps pull prices up, on the same type model cars. And we both agree that 3rd Gens. will go up in value and the rarer ones, like the IROC's, will be collector cars in the future. The argument is about when and how much. You think it will be sooner , I think it will be later. You do have one other thing going for you. With oil prices affecting "everything" it appears we're entering a period of increasing inflation. Which should certainly help your side of the argument.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 AM

I remember hearing this argument when i was a kid between my dad and my older brother. dad said that 70 chevelle big block 4 speed "will never be worth anything so give it up"!!! needless to say that all original 40,000 mile car my brother sold for $3500.00 a week later is worth a hell of alot more now!!
The reason those 1st gen cars are selling for so much now is because of nastalga reasons. like "i always wanted one back when i was in highschool" you know what i mean, like the one that you saw for the 1st time and your jaw just dropped and you stared at it like you would give your left nut for it.
then as you got older and finally had money you looked for a good one and combed the face of the earth for it and you found it! only problem is yet again you would give your left nut and leg for it because YOU ALWAYS WANTED ONE!!!, or you wanted that feeling you had when you had one!!! BTW 2nd and 4th gens were my favorite! now if I can only find that 70-75 t/a big block 4speed i would be a very happy camper. all cars have a value, it all depends who wants it more.
in 20 years the 4th gen lsx cars will be right on par with the 1st gens. Irocs will be of that more of a nastalgic value type car imo.

Last edited by sam pace; 08-07-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Seeing that it is official that the Camaro is comming back, "will it hurt or help the value of our cars?" oppinions please!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM

Won't effect thirds, I could see late model 4ths dropping in price; I'm hoping it'll be a good time to pick one up... heh.

The old "Last Camaro ever made" pitch has kept some of them holding their value very well (too well). I expect SS camaro's (used) to drop down around 15 instead of 20-25k, and Z28's to get around 10-12 (vs 13 - 15)...

But who the hell really knows...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 AM

My guess is that it'll help 1st and 2nd gens, and maybe 3rds, but 4ths will stay where they're at or even fall.

LS1 4th gen prices have remained strong because nobody has a newer one to buy, so if you want the newest and best f-body available, it's a 4th gen. There are enough people who want them for value to stay up. I see that demand falling into the toliet as soon as the 5th gen starts making a presence in showrooms, and 4th gen values could fall to where they would have been all along if there was a 5th gen.

However, the excitement surrounding the new cars will create a buzz that causes a temporary surge in popularity for all models. As everybody starts to hear "Camaro" again, plenty will go out and buy that old car that they've wanted for so long. Whether or not enough of this happens to raise prices, and for how long, I don't know, but I think you will see prices jump, then hold steady while the market catches up.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 AM

My buddy sold a 305 5 speed tpi for $9,000 with 60k on it last year. I have seen other 5 speed ones go for well above $5,000 and are not mint. I know that the beat high mileage ones sit around $2,000. I never see autos getting the same price as the G92 5 speed tpis. It took me 5 years to find mine. Just what I have seen in the midwest.

I dont think they will appreciate much more unless its an olympic edition, 1le....etc.

What is my 6 speed 305 tpi worth???
Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by pineapplesink6
305 cars wont be collectable!

Ya right! So you think that a 5-speed 305 'vert will not be worth anything? What about a 5-speed 1LE?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1987IROC350
If they don't sell gas 10 years from now it won't be worth SH#T! LOL. Anyone remember a movie back in the early 80's where gasoline cars were illegal, but some guy kept his GT RACECAR underground and would drive it around every now and then and the military always tried to get him. Neat movie but it's funny now cause I never thought that would even come close in my life. Anyone remember the name of it?? Oh yea. I think the IROC's and Z28's will be in the $15,000 range in great shape. Convert's will prob. be over $20,000. The Trans Am turbo $35k. Why not. Barracuda's are selling for 15K junked. My buddy sold his rusted Barracuda for 15K on e-bay.
The Last Chase, starring Lee Majors and Burgess Merideth, circa 1981.
...Saw it at the theater. It came out shortly after Rush released their Moving Pictures album which featured a song titled "Red Barchetta" about an eerily similar subject.

Since I've seen some immaculate IROCs sell for $10K already, it doesn't surprise me to think that in ten years they will sell for much higher. My guess is on the 1985 IROC-Z with 305TPI and 5-speed, followed by the 1987 1LE Camaro, and of course the IROC convertible.

I saw a super-clean 1984 Z28 305 H.O. in white with gold trim a couple years ago and its lines were certainly clean enough to become a classic.

These cars were icons for the eighties. People like me who grew up in the early eighties will start picking them up soon enough. Heh, I never let mine go and probably never will!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
My guess is on the 1985 IROC-Z with 305TPI and 5-speed, followed by the 1987 1LE Camaro, and of course the IROC convertible.
Not to be too picky, but there were no 5 speed 305 TPI (0r any other TPI engine) combos in 1985 or '86......wasn't until '87 that they let us have a 5 speed TPI combo.

You could get a 5 speed IROC with the base motor or the L69 "H.O." but that was it until '87. Just some fun facts to know and learn.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the correction. It's been a few years since I last studied IROC Camaros. It's amazing the kinds of stuff you forget once you quit thinking about it all the time!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
Thanks for the correction. It's been a few years since I last studied IROC Camaros. It's amazing the kinds of stuff you forget once you quit thinking about it all the time!
No worries dude (it wasn't meant to be anything bad). I had an 85 IROC (TPI with auto ) and an 87 (TPI + 5-spd) and my getting my 87 was a scream cuz it was that 1st year you could get a TPI 5 speed and I was like a lil kid.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Where do you see any IROC's going for $20,000? Even the best aren't going for half that. The only 1st and 2nd Gens. that are going for unreasonable amounts are original and restored "specialty" or big blocks with lots of HP. Standard SBC Z's aren't getting much more then the mid to high $30's.
And these cars are almost 40 years old. Plus the 1st Gens. will always be more desirable then the 2nd or 3th Gens. Look at the difference between the C2 and C3 Vettes. A couple of year ago you couldn't give a C3 away! And there are other problems with the 3rd Gens. Being newer and better built there will be more of them around in 10 years. And there are few specialty version to pull the average price up, as there are with the 1st Gens.
I think your estimates are at least $5,000 optimistic, given the status quo.
I don't know about an IROC selling for 20k, but an absolute mint 92Z28 Heritage Edition (black with red stripes) sold for 23k on ebay with 6k miles on it. It was even the lowly 305/700R4 combo.

Last edited by 91Z-28; 08-12-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Not to be too picky, but there were no 5 speed 305 TPI (0r any other TPI engine) combos in 1985 or '86......wasn't until '87 that they let us have a 5 speed TPI combo.
I have an '86 IROC with a 5 speed tranny...STOCK. With the 305 motor. There were quite a few made in 86 with that tranny. But then again, i have a 4bbl.

Last edited by 86irockz28; 08-12-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 86irockz28
I have an '86 IROC with a 5 speed tranny...STOCK. With the 305 motor. There were quite a few made in 86 with that tranny. But then again, i have a 4bbl.
Hence why I was sure to say earlier that there were no TPI 5-spd combos prior to 1987. I owned a 1985 IROC with a 5.0 H.O. (L69) and a 5-spd.......but it was not a TPI. However, my '85 TPI was an auto (cuz that was the only way you could get em prior to '87).
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 PM

I have a 6k original mile G92 92 z black with red heritage stripes like the one sold on ebay. Except I have the 350. I watch ebay like a hawk and many low mile cars has been selling well. Here is a good example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=002

watch and see if it hits the reserve, I do not think it will but it is at 15k now

Last edited by ANVRSYZ; 08-18-2006 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: What will an IROC be worth in 10 years?