3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

what would you do

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:11 PM

what would you do

i got about 1k to spend on my 91 z28 w/ no mods. 202k miles. As far as i can tell there are no mechanical problems w/ the car. I want to add as much horsepower as i can w/ 1000 dollars. What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Re: what would you do

I would start with a first class exhaust system. From the headers to the tail pipe. This will most likely be your biggest horsepower gain with bolt ons. Then I would get a good cold air intake system. Allen
Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 PM

Its time for a rebuild! Get a rebuild kit from Summit for about $300, get a cai $125, headers and flowmasters $550 ( flowtech shorty's,cat delete,3" flowmaster force ll catback) and all the free mods. This is just my opinion but if u do much work to that engine you will just need to rebuild it later so it will be a watse of money.

-**** Luck-
Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 PM

Cool Re: what would you do

I would get Headers a full Exhaust a Hypertech power chip Hypertech thermostat (160 Degree) Hypertech Cool fan switch. Remember the more horsepower the more heat.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 PM

LS1 swap
Old 04-08-2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Knowklew
LS1 swap
Or DIY turbo setup.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:36 AM

Like it was said before the full exhaust is going to net you the most gain and it being a bolt-on kit. You can do all the work yourself to save some money. If you plan on making more adjustments to your car in the future I would invest in a pocket programmer and learn how to burn your own chips. Off the shelf stuff, like hypertech, is very generic in its tuning. They may change the spark curve and that is about it. With a taylor made chip you will have a much better feel. Once mine was done it netted me the most gain of all the bolt-on mods I have done and I am getting close to 30mpg on the highway.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 AM

if you have 2 grand to sink into the car and 1 grand is going to motor
then u cant afford a ls1

if the motor has 200k original miles without a rebuild, i think u need a little more than 2 grand

if the motor runs fine and u wanna stick with it
i would use that grand on a real nice tune up, headers, and exhaust, and the other grand for poly bushings bigger sway bars and shocks and struts

then u might have sme left over
Old 04-08-2005, 10:36 AM

I would tend to say rebuild the motor and add some goodies to it while it's out (cam and headers), but in the end, it will probably run you more than 1g.

If your motor still has very good oil pressure and you don't want to rebuild, you might want to go with a vortec head swap with the vortec tpi base intake. Headers would also be good to do during this. You could do just valvesprings and a cam, but depending on the cam size, you would probably need to get a prom "tune" (chip).

If you don't want to dig into the engine, do catback exhaust and/or headers and gears (if yours are 2.73's).

Is you Z a 305 or a 350? Not try to say 305's suck, but most of my opinions above were based on you having a 350 except for the catback/headers/gears comment which will work good on either motor.

You could just save your money a little longer so you can do more things in one sitting and get more performance. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, just get an exhaust (if yours it is stock) and be happy, then get ready to start digging into the motor for you next mods.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:58 AM

ya, these replies are helping guys.

ya its a 350
Old 04-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

You guys dont think a rebuild + mods to equal a little over 300fwh will cost less than 1g? Hell.. I did it on my 305, LOL. I havn't broken the 500 dollar barrier yet.. and I am damn near done. All I need is a catback (next week i'm buying ) and 2 front tires. And those things really aren't even a *mod*, lol.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM

A free flowing exhaust is always a good place to start but you can burn a lot of cash in a hurry on a good system. Another option you may want to consider would be to purchase a new converter, it's my opinion that it's one of the best bang for the buck modifications but one that's often overlooked
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by RPO 1LE
A free flowing exhaust is always a good place to start but you can burn a lot of cash in a hurry on a good system. Another option you may want to consider would be to purchase a new converter, it's my opinion that it's one of the best bang for the buck modifications but one that's often overlooked
I agree with the converter, but on a tired tranny, I don't think that is such a good idea. If he has a rebuilt tranny, that would be another mod to consider.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 PM

my friend is prolly gonna go w/ full exhaust. And i dont really know a lot about 3rd gen engines... whats a good choice of headers for a 350TPI?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 PM

another quick question b4 someone responds..

The car has a 350 TPI engine... a friend of mine is telling me its an LT1, just because it has TPI. I am trying to get some info on the car, so should i be looking in the LT1 section, or the 3rd gen section. The reason i ask is because the car is a 1991, which falls under the 3rd gen engine tech section, but if its an LT1 i should be looking in that section.