3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Whats the first thing you would do...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 AM

Question Whats the first thing you would do...

to a 1988 iroc or z28? This is on a budget of about 8k *after buying the car*.
I was thinking intake, exhaust, suspension, n2o?lets here your thoughts...
Old 09-13-2003, 09:56 AM

wow youve got a budget of 8k. thats excellent. heres what i didnt do but wish i did. upgrade my brakes. drums, rotors ,pads shoes new hoses and wheel cylinders.( it hard to stop the car when your wheel cylinders blow out and you get air in the master) defientally go with a flowmaster exhaust and hooker headers big difference. subframe connecters, custom ram air and filters. gm fastburn heads with better cam bigger injectors then holly steath ram. mad mustangs will be crying
Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 AM

if you have 8 k id plan on spending about 500-1000 of it just to get the car back into perfect working condition. Now what your ultimate goals for the car are will depend a lot on what you do to it. The stock transmission and rear end are not all that strong from the factory

Set of subframe connectors = 350?

Exhaust =500 + install

TIRES!!! = as much as you want to spend on em....should get some good tires because theres no point making gobs of power if you cant put any of it to the ground.

Then from there id either do some engine mods if you plan on keeping it under 350 horsepower....or if youd like to go higher id do something about the tranny and rear end.

I believe you can get a moser 12 bolt rear end for like 2100? And basically if you make enough power to wreck one of those then youve got money to burn =)

As far as the transmission is concerned you could get it rebuilt to withstand just about however much power you want....or you could use it as an excuse to do a t-56 6 speed swap and switch to one of the 6 speed manuals out of the lt1 camaros...You can buy the setup complete with everything you will need for the install for 1500 dollars. The trannys are only rated to like 450 hp but there are people running 700+ hp applications and not blowing em up

that bring us to
2100-rear end
500 for rebuilt tranny
1500-6 speed tranny
350--sfcs
1000-tires (feel free to spend more here
1000-get her in perfect working condition
500-exhaust +install =1000 after taxes?

All of that would bring you to around 7-8 g's after taxes if you did the installs your self...not sure how much its cost you to get it all done at a shop. If you do choose to go something along that route You wont have much interms of hp mods but youll have a virtually bullet proof rear end and a tranny i doubt youd be blowing anytime soon....And from then on you could do pure engine mods without having to worry about blowing your drivetrain up......or you could just build the hell out of the engine and deal with stuff blowing up when it happens!!!

either way get some sfc's and make sure the car is running perfectly before you start to mod it. No point in modding an unhealthy car.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:25 AM

installation is not a problem. few of my family members own garages, so it wouldnt cost me much if anything
Old 09-13-2003, 12:12 PM

keep in mind after you spend all this money. you need a way to stop the car or your investement is done. redoing the front brakes system will cost you about 100 bucks that includes( rotors pads calipers and hoses and a master cylinder) you can redo your rear which are also very important for about 100 bucks possibly less (drums, wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware kits. also make sure your brake lines are in good condition. if your gonna spend 8k on this car 250 bucks max is almost stupid not to do. camaros are noturios for brake hoses locking up the calipers and the wheel cylinders blowing out. you tell me whats gonna happen at 90mph when you calipers lock up or your wheel cylinders blow out. not pretty. brake system most important part of the car
Old 09-13-2003, 12:30 PM

gm fastburn heads with better cam bigger injectors then holly steath ram.
Yeah, what lordmetalz28 said. If you don't want to spend money on aluminum heads, still at least get a good cam and the Holley stealth ram. The Holley stealth ram's powerband is way broader than the TPI setup. You'll be pleased.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Banned

Stroker motor with lower compression and a vortech supercharger. That is if you have headers and exhaust already in mind.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:55 PM

question.
whats an engine look like with alll those goodies piled on