3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Would I run 12's with this??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 AM

Would I run 12's with this??

I am considering building a 383, or rebuilding my 350. I am not sure what I want to do. I know I would like to have a mid 12 second car on motor. I have a NX 150 wet kit to get me into the 11's. What do you think this combo would get me?

350 w/:
BBK 52mm tb
TPIS Miniram
TPIS Prom
AFR 195's
LT4 Hotcam w/1.6 rocker
MSD 6a
MSD Pro Billet Distributor
MSD Coil
Underdrive pulleys (Not sure which brand yet)
Meizere Electric Water Pump
TCI 3000 stall converter
Edelbrock TES headers
Flowmaster 3" exhaust
The block will consist of a stock polished crank, Weisco pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, Speedpro bearings, 10:1 compression

Would that be good for mid 12's with traction. I have Nitto's and lca's, lca brackets, sfc's, etc, so the chassis is not a problem.

What would the same combination run except with 383 cubic inches, and a Eagle 4340 forged crank shaft?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated here guys. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Looks like a good combination to me for your goals- you might even go faster than that. The MiniRam LOVES cubic inches. The short runners really let it rip in the upper RPMs, but big cubes help prop up the bottom end- giving you a broad, strong torque curve. On a mildly cammed 400 we laid down 470 ft/lbs at only 2700 RPMs. Not bad for an intake that isn't supposed to make low end torque! On the top end it just kept right on pulling until the cam was way outside it's intended RPMs range. I built it to make good power up to about 5500-5800 (didn't want to spin it higher with the lousy 400 shortie rods) and it DID. But I was really shocked at how strong the low end was- much stronger than even I had anticipated. Especially considering the dire warnings of friends who had used it on a smaller 350 with more cam than I had.

It ran high 12s on street tires @ 112 in a big fat pig 1987 GTA (3900 lbs race weight).

Last edited by Damon; 02-19-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:17 AM

well first off your tpis parts won't help you, the miniram can be great but you can get just as close using a cheaper alternative, however as long as you stick with just the miniram you will be ok. definately ditch the idea about the prom though as they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to programming and you WILL waste your money.

everything else seems like a decent choice however i would probably leave out the msd box, coil, electric water pump and underdrive pulleys. these items may help you gain a .1 or so but they aren't really as reliable as they seem and will cause more problems then necessary. especially on a street car. stick to what you have if it's in good condition and if not there are cheaper alternative.

i'd say you could have your goal with the majority of things on your list cutting out the above options will save you at least $1,500 and you'll be more streetable as well. you could take the money you spend and put it towards porting of the miniram and afr's which should definately help your goal. that coupled with proper tunning, good suspension and tires and you should be there nicely.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:26 AM

I'd say ditch the TPIS stuff all together and the hot cam as well. I'd go with a stealth ram or a converted LT1 manifold and save some bucks. As far as the cam goes, I'd pick one that will take advantage of those heads ability to flow at .600 lift.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:50 AM

i'd have to agree....the tpis miniram is a nice unit with some work but its way overpriced. there are better or at least similar alternatives for alot less. i'd ditch mine but it cost to much....

Old 02-20-2004, 07:16 AM

I agree about skipping the MSD stuff, TPIS Prom, and Hot cam. With a Miniram I'd go with a cam similar to mine, a Comp Cams XE 230/236 cam. I run low 12's @ 112-113 with that cam and a Holley Stealth Ram with OK traction.

Honestly, I would've gone for the Miniram myself if it wasn't so expensive. Otherwise the Stealth Ram is an excellent bargain.

The SuperRam/LPE 219/AFR combo is another excellent street setup. I had this setup at one time and ran 12.3's @ 108. The only thing I didn't like was the SuperRam is a PITA to work on. Plus trying to keep up with a bolt-on LS1 on the highway was sometimes a challenge.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 AM

All the things I have mentioned in my list I already have. So I'm not going ditching it at this point. It's funny how some people praise the Miniram and hotcam. At least those that have used it. And it seems people who have never used it always diss them. Weird! Anyway, the only thing not done is the block buildup. I havent decided if I want to go with a 350 rebuild or a 383 build. As far as the MSD stuff and the pulleys, lots of guys around here use them on street cars and have no problems whatsoever. Have you guys ever used this stuff?? Thanks for your replies and comments.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Banned

I'd go with the HSR setup if you don't have to pass emmissions and the SR setup if you do. Also, find a custom EPROM programmer who will do dyno runs or take readings and recalibrated the EPROM accordingly. Where are you at?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 AM

I'm up here in Canada. And there is no dyno close to me, so I would have to rely on either getting my owner burner and taking the summer to figure it out, or get a custom burn from either TPiS, Fastchips, or Ed Wright.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Banned

May I suggest www.fasterproms.com who did my EPROM? The reason I like them is that they burn the first chip to my specs. They send it and I install it. I can get a laptop, install some software called DIACOM and take readings, email these readings to them and have them make corrections and repeat the process till I get it just right. Then I send them the software and old chips back. This ensures that it is truely custom via email and USPS. Otherwise, what you are getting is a definate maybe.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:21 PM

I have run the MSD and pulleys on the street for a while, and had no issues. I did have one of the old MSD blaster ignitions crap out, but the better 6 series has been trouble free. Ijust have to replace plugs, caps, and rotors alittle more frequently.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 PM

i had everything listed and the tpis parts as well as the parts i told you aren't good were all junk. they either a. didn't work or b. worked but didn't add any real benefit so it was in essence a waste of money.

do as you like certainly as i was just looking out for you. you may get away with what you have but it could have been better for cheaper....
Old 02-20-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by kandied91z
i had everything listed and the tpis parts as well as the parts i told you aren't good were all junk. they either a. didn't work or b. worked but didn't add any real benefit so it was in essence a waste of money.

do as you like certainly as i was just looking out for you. you may get away with what you have but it could have been better for cheaper....
I understand fully what you are trying to say. And I appreciate it as well. However, I don't want to spend another $X amount on a HSR, different cam, and not find out what the MR and Hotcam would have done after spending $X amount on those parts. I was just looking for what people thought I would run e/t wise. I am in no way interested in replacing what I have, as I haven't used any of it yet.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:41 AM

i was under the impression that maybe you were looking to buy so i thought i'd put my .02 in. nothing more.

seeing as you have the parts already i would use them too, might as well try it. as far as et i'd mid 13's if you use the tpis chip....if you get low 13's i'd consider it lucky and anything into the 12's would be a blessing. a little work done to the heads and intake will make a big difference in that area too though, hope it works out for you well.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by kandied91z
i was under the impression that maybe you were looking to buy so i thought i'd put my .02 in. nothing more.

seeing as you have the parts already i would use them too, might as well try it. as far as et i'd mid 13's if you use the tpis chip....if you get low 13's i'd consider it lucky and anything into the 12's would be a blessing. a little work done to the heads and intake will make a big difference in that area too though, hope it works out for you well.

Well thank you for your input.

It is amazing how many different opinons you get when you ask the same question on a number of different message boards. I have gotten responses saying I will break into the 11's with that setup, to kandied91z saying I will be lucky to get low 13's. I guess it just empahsizes that everyone has different expeiences with similar setups, so I will just have to wait and see what mine will be.

However I would like to add to kandied's response, not too flame, just some constructive conversation. My previous best on stock suspension, stock tranny, regular radials, and a very mildy modded L98, was a 14.39@98. So your suggesting that even if I only do the 350, which will have fresh everything, plus all the other parts I listed, plus transmission work, plus a fully done suspension, plus drag radials, that I will only run a little over .5 seconds quicker!? I am planning on updating my tune, going to look into Fastchips, Ed Wright, or the company that was mentioned above in this link. So that should take care of that. But even with the TPiS prom, I mean I have heard they are not the greatest but I have to say I would get more gain than you mentioned from that chip, especially with all the parts I have added to the car. I mean with my OLD setup (best of 14.3), I would easily hit mid 13's with the addition of a tc, nitto's, and suspension. So throw the hp mods on top of it and I can't reason with your theory of only mid 13's, and be "lucky" to get low 13's. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Like everyone else I will gain my own experience from all of this, and who knows, maybe I will be in 100% agreement with you afterwards kandied!

Quick Reply: Would I run 12's with this??