Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

383 D-1 w/ LS1 coil packs and no more opti

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 12:06 PM

Marc

Congrats. Looks FABULOUS.

Question: where did you get the valve covers?

Also, did you look at the electromotive set up? Does FAST have a coil pack system as well?

I'm putting a FAST in this winter and if and when the opti packs up, I would as soon find some better alternative.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:30 PM

Thanks, They're Moroso valve covers. You'll need to have them "Massaged" to clear the alternator.

No, I didn't look at the Electromotive setup. FAST does not have a coil pack setup.
Marc
Old 11-16-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Brady_96Z
Marc, do you have a working rev limiter with that setup? Do you know if you can use a 2-step?

thanks
..Brady
Brady,
I looked into this and you still use the FAST rev limiter and you can run a 2-step. You'd hook it up between the fast and the white wire that gives the EST to the Edist box.

Marc
Old 11-20-2002, 01:36 AM

I don't think you can run a 2-step with an eDist. The FAST rev limiter cuts off the fuel.

TurboBob
Old 11-21-2002, 12:09 PM

As far as I am concerned, using a fuel cut for a rev limiter on an engine under boost, is beggin' for problems.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by TurboBob
I don't think you can run a 2-step with an eDist. The FAST rev limiter cuts off the fuel.

TurboBob
Just looking at the EFI comparison chart in the Kinsler catalog:

Ignition REV limit:

Accel/DFI Gen VII - Yes/2 step
FAST - No
Haltech E6H - Yes
MoTeC - Yes
Old 11-22-2002, 08:31 AM

Hi arnie.

Some quick opinions.....

Fuel cut under boost: fine if you cut all the fuel. If running supplemental fuel injection (aux injectors/propane/wet N2O/...) then the fuel cut doesn't shut the engine off it just leans it WWWAAAAAAYYYY out (not good).

Ignition cut at WOT: if the cylinders stay off too long the exhaust loads up with a combustible mixture of fuel and air. Big potential for KABOOM.

A stuttering type ignition rev limiter works ok under these conditions but there are still possibilities of a good POP.

*---------------------------------
eDist, syncs to the EST pulse + cam. If you drop an EST pulse the eDIST gets outta sync.

The Accel/DFI (Gen7?) shows a 2-step which is cool for distributor equipped vehicles. A TurboBuick ignition module will de-sync if you drop EST pulses just like the eDist. So the short list of rev limiters has a few details missing.

Bob
Old 11-22-2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by TurboBob
A stuttering type ignition rev limiter works ok under these conditions but there are still possibilities of a good POP.

eDist, syncs to the EST pulse + cam. If you drop an EST pulse the eDIST gets outta sync.

The Accel/DFI (Gen7?) shows a 2-step which is cool for distributor equipped vehicles. A TurboBuick ignition module will de-sync if you drop EST pulses just like the eDist. So the short list of rev limiters has a few details missing.

Bob
Bob, the LTCC isn't plagued by these problems is it?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:47 AM

If you run an aftermarket 2-step with the LTCC you will have trouble. The 2-step built into the LTCC works well with no issues.

Bob
Old 12-04-2002, 02:53 PM

why do you need to run the LT! pcm any longer. I am looking on removing mine and going to a different guage pod.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by TazZ28
why do you need to run the LT! pcm any longer. I am looking on removing mine and going to a different guage pod.
It works the cruise control too

Marc
Old 12-05-2002, 11:07 PM

Comment:
Beautiful set-up...

Unrelated question:
How in the hell do you change the plugs? Looks like the motor mounts have to be unhooked and the engine tilted to access them...is this the case?...
Old 12-06-2002, 12:33 AM

the biggest problem is that the opti controls the injectors too right? so you have to spend the big bucks on the stand alone fuel system. theres no way to get the computer to do that? also does anybody know the part number of the optical sensor in the opti? i know its a mitsubishi part, but i can find a part number.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by CAJUN-Z
Comment:
Beautiful set-up...

Unrelated question:
How in the hell do you change the plugs? Looks like the motor mounts have to be unhooked and the engine tilted to access them...is this the case?...
Thanks

Plug access is not too bad, you get the hang of it after af few times. The worst are #5 as both exhaust tubes are kinda in the way and #2 as there is no room between the inner fender / header / alternator. I picked up a little telescoping spark plug tool off of some dude in the forsale section that really helps in spark plug changes. It collapses so you can get it over the plug and then turn it with a wrench.

Marc
Old 12-06-2002, 08:02 AM

Thats not hpw you told me you change the plugs!
LOL!!

Rob

Quick Reply: 383 D-1 w/ LS1 coil packs and no more opti