Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

434 LT1-injected motor build in progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 AM

What's the plan for the cam retainer plate??

Steve
Old 03-18-2007, 03:02 PM

I built a standoff on each side of the front cam bearing behind the timing chain in the stock location that I'm going to drill and tap for a factory style retainer plate. I was going to use some other kind of fastener, but I figured if I made the part the bolt screwed into a permanent part of the block, I wouldnt have to worry so much about it moving around on me and possibly breaking.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:49 AM

Is there a machined surface to drill & tap for the standoff or do you have to weld a standoff on, then machine flat/Drill & Tap after welding. I'm watching your build closely and may have more questions as your details become clearer. I'd love to see some pics of your timing cover mods if available.

Steve
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM

There is material there, but I see two problems.

1 is that there isnt much of it. I hate drilling into a block, especially an expensive aftermarket block, and risking screwing something up. Drilling around the front cam journal would mean there wouldnt be too much meat on either side of the bolt hole, and I also dont want to risk overloading the cam bearing around that area from distorting the metal with the bolt.

2 I would have to drill the plate as well, potentially weakening it and causing a problem.

I would rather just add material and call it a day. It doesnt need to be picture perfect, like having the metal machined like the deck surface afterwards, but it needs to be close enough that it doesnt stress the plate when it's bolted down, and it sits flush on the block.

The timing cover that I was planning to use is sitting in a pile of parts now that need to get work done to them. Since I changed directions once or twice, I have a pan needing the oil level sensor bung to get welded in; the timing cover which will have the w/p driveshaft hole welded shut, it will be machined on the block surface, then powercoated with my intake; and powercoating of my intake, elbow and maybe the TB after I get the intake back from the porter.

Most of what I need now is little stuff. I am sending some valves out next week for the heads, I already have a spring kit, and when I get the flow chart, a custom cam, pushrods and shaft rockers. That should just about wrap it up aside from a tune.

All the little stuff is killin me... I bought a set of black centerbolt valvecovers with 'Chevrolet' on the top and gawd are they expensive. ARP bolts throughout. Trying to do it right the first time, until I get bored with it and sell the topend to go 18 degree =p But even after I get it running I cant get track times or dyno numbers... I still have a 10 bolt!!! LMAO

Last edited by dhirocz; 03-19-2007 at 03:17 PM.