Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Mix of the new with the old..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:06 PM

Mix of the new with the old..

So many questions..where to start?
Background...I have a '95 Camaro (3.4L 5-speed back when my Mom bought it from the dealership), I have put in 3 V-8's (all carberated) since I bought it from her a few years back, first was a 400, then an old '64 corvette 327, now a 4-bolt main 383 with a lot of Eagle goodies in it. Currently I'm using a TH350 as a tranny for it (yuck) which is dieing and hopefully I can find a reasonable T56 someday for it as it still has the slave cylinder and clutch assembly. I'm still currently using the old double-hump heads of the corvette 327 which are smokin like crazy and need to be replaced, which brings me to my first question;

Question #1
I have found many links referencing an article on how to retrofit LT1 heads to work on an old block; http://www.lt1intake.com/LT1_retrofit.htm but I can't get that link to work. LT1 heads are reverse flow, so would an electric water pump that pumps in reverse flow work with them? Or is the design of the block itself that much different in terms of cooling channels? If not does anyone have detailed information how to accomplish this retrofit or could point me toward a link that's not broken?

Question #2
I just bought a '94 Z28 with a bad tranny (4L60E, will move at around 4k rpm, once above about 20mph it can be put into drive and works normally, reverse works also) and I'm planning on swapping rear ends for the factory posi unit and disc breaks found on the Z's. along with the ABS controlling unit under the hood, is that all that is neccesary to ensure proper brake function?

Question #3
I've read that the 4L60E is computer controlled, how difficult or expensive is this to by-pass? I would like to get this tranny repaired and built to use till I can find a manual but not at any large amount of cash.

Question #4
Currently my 383 has a single v-belt, powering only an alternator, I haven't found or created a bracket yet for the ford style power steering pump on it as the old double-humps have no accesory holes on them. So I plan on taking the entire serpantine belt system off the 94' Z28 I have and installing it onto my 383, the problems I see arrising are, clearing an electric water pump, and having the smog pump attached since it's part of the belt sytem but not causing any loss and clearing the long tube headers. Is there an easy way to by-pass/remove the smog pump? is it just simple as getting a specific shorter belt?

Question #5
I put a 3000 stall on my TH350, will this work on the 4L60E?

Thanks ahead of time for any help, here's a link to some pics of the build and results.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1591298

- Brad
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Re: Mix of the new with the old..

I think you would better off separating this into specific questions, and posting at least the 4L60E questions on the "Drivetrain" forum. The "convert the LT1 heads" could go on the 3rd Gen forum, and maybe the accessory drive question as well. I don't think you're going to get much in the way of repsonses on this forum.