Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Optima Spiral Gel vs. Liquid Acid Battery...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 04:41 AM

Optima Spiral Gel vs. Liquid Acid Battery...

I've been using them for a couple of years and they don't seem to like conventional recharging. I just "burnt one up" recently by placing an auto charger on it. It totally killed it...actually "0" voltage when it was replaced. Anyone know the "in's" and "out'S" on spiral cell technology?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:25 AM

"How Optima suggest you charge their batteries
(Optima has changed the upper voltage from 14.8 to 15.0 volts on their web site in fall 1997).

Alternator charge: Voltage regulated, 13.8 to 15.0 volts / no current limit

Shop Charge: 13.8 to 15.0 volts / 10 amps / 8 hours maximum

Constant voltage: 14.7 to 15.0 volts temperature < 50C, no current limits, continue until current falls below 1 amp, then finish with 2 amp constant current for 2 hours."

Constant current: 25 amps, no voltage limit / replace 110% to 120% of charge removed on previous cycle / temperature < 50 C.

Float charge: Voltage 13.2 to 13.8 volts / current 1 amp, time indefinite"

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...wOptimasuggest

"6. Can you trickle charge an OPTIMA? Solar card charger?
Yes, you can use any charger on an OPTIMA as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one amp maximum current. "

http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp#q6

Maybe you need to take a look at the output of you charger.

Last edited by ROCKN SS; 02-15-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by ROCKN SS
"How Optima suggest you charge their batteries
(Optima has changed the upper voltage from 14.8 to 15.0 volts on their web site in fall 1997)...Maybe you need to take a look at the output of you charger.
The battery charger charges "wet" batteries perfectly. Never had a problem before. Thought something about the internals of the battery (design) made it alien to normal charging. Maybe a fluke, maybe a defect in that particular battery. Figured there was a short (totally open) to read "0" volts after charging...plus the smell was aweful. I know that the spirals dropped in price over the last year, and I thought that the intermals may have been manufactured differently to reduce production cost. Maybe it was a fluke...
Old 02-15-2004, 07:52 AM

Maybe the "wet" batteries are more forgiving. Could have been you got a bad battery, I realy don't know. I just picked up a Yellow Top last year and haven't had it on a charger yet. I plan on getting another Yellow Top for my other vehicle and will be looking for a "smart" charger to make sure I stay within their guidelines.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 PM

my optima's have done just awsome, i've used a normal battery charger and trickles on them. the only problem i've had was when i accidentally left the charger on 50amp start for 2 day's. i came out and it was steaming! still works lol. they're awesome batterys'....

curious what color optima do you have? i've got 2 yellows and 1 red.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:45 PM

Just make sure you get a "regulated 20 amp" battery charger which is the most common battery charger, and it should be ok. Thats what I use on my optima and the battery still seems like new.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by daferociousone
Just make sure you get a "regulated 20 amp" battery charger which is the most common battery charger, and it should be ok. Thats what I use on my optima and the battery still seems like new.
I have two Optimas currently and one charges normally and the other seems to be internally screwed. The abnormal one is brand new (3 weeks) and I always like to fully charge batteries prior to use. When I put the same 2/20/100 amp charger on the "new" Optima (20 amp setting), it pegs the needle at 100amps (and slightly dims the lights in the house). The other Optima will start off at around 5 amps and go down to "0" in a couple of minutes. Something has to be wrong...this is a second replacement of the battery within two months. Read my first post and tell me what's going on here...
Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 PM

You probably are getting a blem because I have seen several merchants selling blems, though they advertise them as blems, you should get a refund if the store you are getting them from is not telling you if it's a blem, and go buy one from a more reliable seller, like autozone. but don't buy them from sears, they are expensive at sears and charge you for insurance which costs you about the sme as buying another battery. Beware of shady retailers.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by daferociousone
You probably are getting a blem because I have seen several merchants selling blems, though they advertise them as blems, you should get a refund if the store you are getting them from is not telling you if it's a blem, and go buy one from a more reliable seller, like autozone. but don't buy them from sears, they are expensive at sears and charge you for insurance which costs you about the sme as buying another battery. Beware of shady retailers.
What is a blem?