Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 09:31 AM

ZR28, as I believe I posted, I've only had a little experience w/ carbon fiber, but never gotten an splinters from handling it. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that uncured carbon mat would deteriorate if handled (once again as I stated), but there is a company that makes wallets, shirts, etc. that uses some sort of chemical that keeps it together, and prevents carbon fiber splinters. When I mentioned the door panels/shift boot that was with the intention of researching this company's product and basing them off that. There are already several companies that offer carbon fiber shift boots for Hondas and Acuras, but its still more of a japanese (as in hasn't hit the states yet thing). My buddy is stationed in Okinawa and has one is his 2002 Civic Type R.
Back to the carbon fiber dash. In high school I worked for a fiberglass company laying body parts for semis, golf carts, and from time to time race cars. I went back to my employer, who has plenty of experience w/ carbon fiber and presented him w/ this idea. He seems to think that the dash top is a flat enough piece that a well-built composite mold that was cured w/ plenty of tooling gell would be perfectly smooth. Yes, I'm aware that to make a carbon fiber piece look good you have to clearcoat it...over and over. As stated, I was going to offer these in an unfinished form originally. Now, I'm not sure. I haven't even started the project other than to research the cost of material, the cost of the mold, and consulting my old boss about it. I hope everyone takes your advice to see pics before they buy, IF I EVER offer it for sale. This post is simply a means to guage interest in the product if I decide it is feasable to produce.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:39 PM

ZR28, in your expert opinion, why wouldn't taking a mold of the dash, then taking a "negative" of that mold to make your final mold, thus essentially laying a piece of carbon fiber over the original shape of the dash top( only w/ the full strength of a mold) then laying the resin w/ a soft kick, then rolling out the air and wrinkles, then vacuum bagging it with a heavy vacuum for the remainder of the kicking process make a perfectly smooth, air free, void free finish that would only require 2-3 layers of clearcoat to achieve that DEEP look? Nevermind the underside and having to worry about the connectors/ supporting web etc, I've already got that worked out. I just want your opinion on why this wouldn't work for the "cosmetic" side of the panel. As for the raw carbon on the door panels...you were right...sort of. I contacted the company that offers the wallets, garments etc. They don't use your typical carbon fiber for their merchandise. It goes through a totally different process as it is unintended to be a load-bearing piece. It's a long story but to summarize, it would work for the trim panels using their material
Old 11-25-2002, 10:43 PM

I would be interested in another dash piece in plastic or carbon fiber but with a set of dual or triple gauge pods mounted in the middle.

-B
Old 11-25-2002, 11:14 PM

IM INTERESTED

depending on the quality, uh hemm some pics, of the dash i would definetly want to buy it man, and anythign else you were to make for the interior in carbon fiber, the 150 sound fine to me, and additional 50 for the doors, and maybe the center council or something but yah i'd be interested
Old 11-26-2002, 09:12 AM

i went to school for doing carbon fiber graphite/kevlar work back in early 1997 and worked with it for a couple years. let me tell you some experiences:

raw fiber does release very small strands in to the air when it is handled. these fibers are VERY dangerous for your lungs when inhaled. you will not even know it normally, but if you had it in your car where the wind is constanltly blowing, it would get into your eyes and everywhere.

once you have impregnated the fiber with resin and it has cured, those splinters are even more dangerous! this is why i would not put anything made out of fiber in front of my body in the passenger compartment. if you were to get into a wreck, theose splinters would be everywhere. these are not like metal or wood splinters, either. fiber splinters are self tapping. this means that once they are in either you are going to butcher yourself trying to get them out (while pushing them deeper), or you are going to be paying a hospital bill to have them removed.

i know race cars and stuff have a lot of fiber stuff in the cab, but the drivers are also wearing fire suits and such to protect themselves.

do what you want, but this is my take on the topic!
Old 11-26-2002, 12:15 PM

Oh hey i had a question how did you plan on doing the defroster
vent in the middle of the dash?
Old 11-26-2002, 02:51 PM

The response about carbon fiber in the air is absolutely correct. I was mistaken about that. There is a company that makes carbon fiber "look" material. In other words, not just a print. It's acutually made out of a material that looks JUST like carbon fiber but doesn't have it's strength characteristics. So ixnay on the raw stuff. As for not putting it anywhere in the cockpit, there's a thousand companies that make carbon fiber inserts etc, and as someone said earlier, if you hit something hard enough to break the dash, you'd be in the hospital regardless.
As for the question about the defrost, since it would be hard to duplicate the "vents/slats" in it in carbon fiber, I was just going to lay a piece of wire mesh of some sort, probably silver in color, and paintable to the desired color over it, with either a diamond mesh shape or octagonal shape.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:04 PM

most of the inserts that go in the dash are not real carbon fiber. they are plastic made to look like it. if you have never had a carbon fiber splinter, i understand why you do not understand. when you get one and it gets deep enough to send you to the hospital, you will understand. it hurts!
Old 11-27-2002, 10:16 AM

montepace, I understand that there are a few carbon fiber "print" cheapo parts but 99% of the sites say 100% genuine carbon fiber. It's hard to brake a cured piece of carbon fiber, especially smaller pieces for the interior of the car.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:45 PM

Anyway you could make some carbon fiber door sills cheap?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 AM

what ever happenned to this?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:08 AM

They probly found out that you cant see **** in the day if that part is not a flat finish.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by The Highlander
what ever happenned to this?
TOO WEIRD! I cam in this morning looking for this thread...

I wish there were a viable option - I cracked my dash to pieces last nite - I just hope the super glue holds for a while.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:51 PM

Ok you just let my top secret plan outta the bag. Yes it can be done and I am doing the same thing in black first then silver. Was hoping to shock the f-body world with it, but i guess I wont be doing that will I?

Anyways since the cats outta the bag, I'm tryin to buy all the OEM parts for molds and the dash piece was going to be the show winner. i just finished up some pieces that I'm fitting in my car but the resin is clouding up. I might have to switch to something else, I'm using polyester. BTW since we will be competing, (and you sponsored it through Jay) you went the right route and I cant be mad lol. Since I'm still new to it yours will probably come out before mine but hey business is like that. God luck and let me know how it comes out. Now I gotta go buy some more 3K to replace the first batch (10 pieces for the dash ruined )
Old 04-15-2004, 04:54 PM

Oh yea

People, please dont buy that cheap vinyl printed CF!!!!!!!!

it's tacky and looks cheap, do you want your car looking cheap? If it dont have the real 3D effect, dont buy it!!!! It costs $10 at autozone, $10!!!!!!!!

Real carbon fiber takes time and skill, but the end result is a super deep gloss with the 3D effect.

Quick Reply: ~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber