Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

1997 hid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Call911, you say the kit you ordered came with new housings? Are they plastic or glass? I searched ebay for camaro HID and didn't find any. Found plenty of 9006 hid kits, but nothing that came with a new housing??
Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Mine were glass, and were of even better quality than the factory housings. The nicest thing about the kit I got was that the bulbs actually sealed into the housings, and I didn't have to fab/RTV the HID bulbs in the factory housings.

I got mine off of ebay, but the guy doesn't have his own store, so it's probably just going to be hit or miss.

LEDgauges.com sells everything (housings included). They are pricey, but the only company I know of offering a sealed glass LT1 Camaro housing with their HID's.

The cheepest route would be just to knock out your factory bulb's and RTV/seal up HID's you can find anywhere on ebay, but again, it won't be nicely sealed.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Mine were glass, and were of even better quality than the factory housings. The nicest thing about the kit I got was that the bulbs actually sealed into the housings, and I didn't have to fab/RTV the HID bulbs in the factory housings.

I got mine off of ebay, but the guy doesn't have his own store, so it's probably just going to be hit or miss.

LEDgauges.com sells everything (housings included). They are pricey, but the only company I know of offering a sealed glass LT1 Camaro housing with their HID's.

The cheepest route would be just to knock out your factory bulb's and RTV/seal up HID's you can find anywhere on ebay, but again, it won't be nicely sealed.
Thank you for the website. I will check it out.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 AM

I have reviewed this webiste (per member suggestion) http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=62 Does anyone have these lights? If so, what color/number (4000,6000...) did you get? Thanks everyone.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jacksodt
I have reviewed this webiste (per member suggestion) http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=62 Does anyone have these lights? If so, what color/number (4000,6000...) did you get? Thanks everyone.
Heatrange/color is what you are refferring to. That will depend on what you want. 4300k is pure white. Less than that gets into yellow color/heatrange. Greater than that gets into blue color/heatrange. After about 7000k and up starts getting into purple color/heatrange. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I got 5000k in my Z28. I was hoping for just a touch of blue but mostly pure white. I got a little more blue than I wanted, but not full blue. Keep in mind though that I did not get my kit from LEDgauges, so the different heatranges from different companies may vary slightly.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:26 AM

Heatrange/color is what you are refferring to. That will depend on what you want. 4300k is pure white. Less than that gets into yellow color/heatrange. Greater than that gets into blue color/heatrange. After about 7000k and up starts getting into purple color/heatrange. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I got 5000k in my Z28. I was hoping for just a touch of blue but mostly pure white. I got a little more blue than I wanted, but not full blue. Keep in mind though that I did not get my kit from LEDgauges, so the different heatranges from different companies may vary slightly.
I am wondering too if the hid kit i have reviewed creates a straight line when projected on a surface. i am looking for crisp clean line.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 AM

I am wondering too if the hid kit i have reviewed creates a straight line when projected on a surface. i am looking for crisp clean line.
If you are looking for the crisp clean straight line, you will have to get projectors. That is the only way you will achieve it. HID's are just a much brighter bulb with ballasts creating a powerfull light. But installed in stock housing the light just goes everywhere.

Projectors focus the beam and have the straight line you are talking about. Usually projectors offer a much more clear medium for light to be passed, so regular halogen bulbs like H9's seem pretty bright. Put an HID through a projector and then you have the best of both worlds. However then you are dropping a lot more coin.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 AM

The pictures on this page show a halogen H9 bulb through a projector headlight;

(just click on Camaro Z28 headlight upgrade)
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...upid=42185&ck=
Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 AM

If you are looking for the crisp clean straight line, you will have to get projectors. That is the only way you will achieve it. HID's are just a much brighter bulb with ballasts creating a powerfull light. But installed in stock housing the light just goes everywhere.

Projectors focus the beam and have the straight line you are talking about. Usually projectors offer a much more clear medium for light to be passed, so regular halogen bulbs like H9's seem pretty bright. Put an HID through a projector and then you have the best of both worlds. However then you are dropping a lot more coin.
Thank you very much for your knowledge. These re the kind of things I am interested in knowing. I have looked for projectors but I have only found the one posted on the forum (do-it-yourself) (Hally?)
Old 10-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you very much for your knowledge. These re the kind of things I am interested in knowing. I have looked for projectors but I have only found the one posted on the forum (do-it-yourself) (Hally?)
I think you mean Hella from Rally lights/susquahana motorsports. The sell the cheepest high quality projectors I have found on the net (and I have done a bit of looking).

There are plenty of other projector style lights though, just try ebay. The Hella 90mm projectors are ones that would be big enough to replace your stock headlights in your car (a bit more than just fog lights). All though I'm sure you can find fog lights that are projectors out there as well. All this is noted in the previous link I posted of the guy who replaced his stock headlights with the Hella 90mm projectors.